Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

California deer population declines as habitat disappears

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar California deer population declines as habitat disappears
April 13, 2012 05:56PM
An estimated 445,000 deer live in California, or about equal to the city of Sacramento's human population. Which sounds like a lot, until you realize the deer are spread over the entire state: 99 million acres. If there were only 445,000 people in California, how long would it take you to find somebody you really wanted to hang out with? Such is the plight of the state's deer population, our most iconic emblem of the forest. Without much notice, the species has declined slowly but relentlessly in virtually every corner of the state.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/08/4398312/california-deer-population-declines.html
avatar Re: California deer population declines as habitat disappears
April 14, 2012 01:56AM
Meh... This article appears to be just a planted story by the Mule Deer Foundation. It doesn't provide any hard data that the cause of the decline in California's deer population is being caused by habitat loss versus the increase in population of mountain lions. The spokesman of the Mule Deer Foundation discounts the mountain lion theory just out of hand, thinking that the problem is just habitat loss.

The problem with claiming habitat loss is that the mule deer is very adaptable to more man-made exurban and suburban habitats. Just ask anyone who lives in Marin County about their deer population (or in some places, over-population).

I'm not saying that habitat loss could not be a contributing factor. In some areas around California it definitely could be, but this article doesn't bring to light any scientific data or studies to support that claim. (And of course it does not bring to light any scientific data or studies to support the claim of some hunters that mountain lions are the cause of the decline.) In other words, a pretty worthless lightweight article in my opinion. Though it points out, in an indirect manner, that more research is needed to determine – accurately – what's causing California's deer population to decline.

Re: California deer population declines as habitat disappears
April 14, 2012 09:45AM

The problem with claiming habitat loss is that the mule deer is very adaptable to more man-made exurban and suburban habitats.

And urban.

Folks may be shocked about how many deer live in the Chicago area. On long marathon runs I would easily be able to count deer in the twenties/thirties during my early morning runs. The Forest Preserves system in Chicago often flailed about in attempting to keep the population down. It's not like they would allow hunts. At one point, they began capturing females to sterilize them but then the feminists got up in arms about unfairness so they started capturing the males also.
avatar Re: California deer population declines as habitat disappears
April 14, 2012 11:09AM
Here is an interesting graph:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/population.html

It seems we need the decline.

Old Dude
Re: California deer population declines as habitat disappears
April 15, 2012 12:21AM
I ask if you would like some Blacktail Deer from northwest Wyoming? There are an estimated 300 deer IN the city limits, and they aren't afraid of much of anything, except for possibly my better half when they munch on her flowers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login