Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upper Pines - RV Only Sites?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Pines - RV Only Sites?
April 28, 2007 06:36AM
So I booked a couple sites in May and based on another post here I decided to look up whether they are RV only sites. The description for my sites say "rv non electric" instead of "standard non electric"

Does this mean I can only have an RV here? Or can I still park my car and pitch a couple tents?

If anyone has more information on the difference between 'rv non electric' and 'standard non electric' please share. smiling smiley

The description for one site that I have says: "21x11NC Average campsite sun, site at slant, crowded, sm T or camper"

The descrition for the other site I have says: "27x10NC Average campsite shade, next to restroom, sm tent or RV"

Thank you!
April 28, 2007 07:11AM
My non-official understanding of campsites anywhere is that you can pitch a tent on an RV site, but you can't park an RV on a tent site. They just tell you "RV" so you know if you can park an RV there or not. I'm guessing the standard sites probably don't fit an RV? Is there a phone number you can call? Maybe (209)372-0200.

Just know that if you camp in an area with RVs, you may be tent camping with RVs around you.
avatar Re: Upper Pines - RV Only Sites?
April 28, 2007 11:50AM
You can see pictures of the sites on http://yosemitecampsites.com/

April 30, 2007 07:07AM
Thanks letterknit, I'm hoping what you said is the case. I'll call and reply back with what I find.

Thanks eeek for the site pictures smiling smiley Upper Pines #110 is a Standard site and the pic shows an RV there lol..
May 01, 2007 07:33AM
I was the poster of the other message. I was wondering if you have found anything out. I have a bunch of sites that I would like to keep but I don't know if tents are ok. I call that number and it just takes you to the reservation line. They don't seem to know much. Is there any way to get in touch with the rangers at the booth in the campground? I really don't want to cancel my spots!!! Any info. would be great!
May 01, 2007 09:38PM
I doubt you'll get kicked out for camping at a campground. Nevertheless, let us know what you find out!
May 02, 2007 08:29AM
My guess on the 'RV only' sites is that they're rocky, slanted, or uneven to where there's really no good place to put a tent. I can't imagine why else they would limit any of the sites in the pines campgrounds to RV only, but there are some sites I've seen that might not have a good tent spot. If you're willing to make do with a less-than-ideal tent site, maybe sleeping on a slant or incorporating a rock into your tent pad, you'll probably be OK.

It's virtually impossible to get any specific campsite info by phone, such as contacting the kiosk at the campground, but the Valley campground office number is 209-372-8502. You might get a recording, but sometimes can get a human, who at least would be able to confirm why they specify sites for RV only.

As far as being among RV's, most of Upper Pines will have RV's mixed in, even possbly the very large ones that are difficult to fit in sites not designed for them. However, the campground rules limit the use of generators to 'sparse' daytime use, and none after 7 PM or before 8 AM, if I remember correctly. When you check in, I'd suggest writing down the "night" number to have handy at your tent, just in case you get bad neighbors (regardless of whether it's 'yehawing' until midnight or running generators). Most folks are pretty good about being considerate, but there are exceptions, regardless of tent or RV, and having that number handy sure beats crawling out of a warm sleeping bag at midnight and walking down to the kiosk to get it...or laying there wide awake, hoping they'll quit partying or shut off the generator soon.

If you can't get the info, we're going to Upper Pines at the end of the month for our Half Dome trip, and I wouldn't mind biking over and taking a look at the sites, or photos so you could see what you've got.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 02, 2007 12:47PM
Hello all,

I ended up calling the number that letterknit provided and the only time I was able to speak to someone was when I was transferred to National Park Reservations. Here I told them about my concerns. Even though the site is labeled as "rv non-electric", they were able to see that the description says that it allows a small tent. They told me that I would most likely need an RV although I should call the park directly and find out for sure. I told them I tried calling the park directly and was sent here and then I asked them for a number to the park. They gave me the number that Sierrafan listed above.

I called this number and had someone pick up immediately. He was very helpful and said that the "rv non electric" designation means that it's suitable for an RV (and not that an RV is required for the site). He said that these sites are absolutely ok even if you are not brining an RV. And that many of these sites have great locations for a tent.

Sierrafan, thank you very much for your help! We're going towards the end of May and are planning to do Half Dome on May 21st (if the cables are up of course)! It'll be our first time and I'm psyched! hehe

Soo.. the most official word (from the Valley Campground Office) is that it is perfectly acceptable to use an "rv non-electric" site without having an RV. smiling smiley
May 02, 2007 02:55PM
what2do wrote:

> Sierrafan, thank you very much for your help! We're going
> towards the end of May and are planning to do Half Dome on May
> 21st (if the cables are up of course)! It'll be our first time
> and I'm psyched! hehe

It's definitely something to be psyched about, it's a wonderful hike; Upper Pines is a great place to be leaving from, as you don't have to worry about waiting for the 7AM shuttle bus to get you to the trailhead. If you can leave early, 6 AM or earlier, I'd recommend doing that.

On the off-chance that the cables aren't up yet, it's still a great hike, and I think I'd do it anyway and just skip the summit; getting to the top is of course the climax of the hike, but the scenery all the way is fantastic, so you can't lose, and you'll know what to expect next time.

I went up with my 3 sons about the same time last year, and we all had such a good time we're doing it again; our date is the 30th, so you'll beat us by over a week, but it seems pretty likely the cables will be up by then. Here are some pics of last year:
http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/halfdome

I'm sure you've read plenty on the hike and are ready for it; the main things I'd suggest are leaving early (we get our packs ready the night before and keep them in the bear box, so we can get up, have some coffee and a quick light breakfast, and get moving). Take 2 liters of water, snacks and lunch, a flashlight just in case, and enough clothes to handle cool or warm weather; a poncho for the mist trail is a must. Mosquito repellent too. A trekking pole or hike stick is nice, almost a necessity if you come down the mist trail, but still a good thing regardless...coming down "satan's staircase" on sub-dome you'll also appreciate it. While I like the aesthetics of a real "stick", a collapsible trekking pole can be hung on your backpack when you go up the cables, out of the way, and lighter.

Have fun! I'm glad to hear they'll "let" you in without an RV 8^)

Gary
May 02, 2007 03:01PM
Don't feel like you have to go crazy with the raingear... if it's going to be sunny and hot, you can just get wet (in your synthetic clothing, of course), then dry out and rest at the top of the falls. You might also drink more than 2 liters of water, so you could bring some iodine or chlorine tablets to treat your water. I'll second the trekking poles recommendation! A lot easier on your knees and helps you save energy.
May 03, 2007 03:47PM
Thanks for the advice! I've got my trekking poles and will plan on bringing lots of water. smiling smiley I've got a light wind/waterproof REI jacket and some convertible pants (that dry quick). Should I still wear a poncho?

Sierrafan, I've read through a number of Half Dome hike reviews but I hadn't yet come across yours. It's awesome! The pictures are great and now I have a better idea of what to expect at the falls, satan's staircase, etc. Thanks!
May 03, 2007 04:07PM
Even when it was sunny and warm, I got cold going up the Mist Trail in my synthetic t-shirt and capris. In the spring time there is a lot of water and it's windy with all that water whooshing over the cliff. So I guess if it's a chilly day, you might want to stay kind of dry by wearing rain pants or pants that dry quickly in addition to your rain coat. And put 'em on before the water starts raining down on you. Trekking poles also help you feel your way up the steps because if you wear glasses, they will get completely wet making it a little difficult to see. I went in May last year and there was a lot of water, it's probably not quite like that later in the summer?
It's such an invigorating and exciting section of trail!
They don't call it the Mist Trail for nothin'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2carolyn/464367041/in/set-72157600090916042/
May 03, 2007 04:59PM
I've been wanting to shoot this picture again in 4x5 but I've never been able to due to the drenching spray:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php?g2_itemId=740

May 03, 2007 09:02PM
eeek wrote:

> I've been wanting to shoot this picture again in 4x5 but I've
> never been able to due to the drenching spray:

That's a great photo of Vernal Falls, it looks very good in black and white. No drops on the lens either 8^).

Good luck with reshooting it, but that never seems to work out for me...get a newer better camera and think you'll go redo some of those old shots you really like, but they just aren't there. Still worth trying though, you never know, and carrying a 4x5 camera up there should keep you in shape...

Gary
May 03, 2007 11:39PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> eeek wrote:
>
> > I've been wanting to shoot this picture again in 4x5 but I've
> > never been able to due to the drenching spray:
>
> That's a great photo of Vernal Falls, it looks very good in
> black and white. No drops on the lens either 8^).
>
> Good luck with reshooting it, but that never seems to work out
> for me...get a newer better camera and think you'll go redo
> some of those old shots you really like, but they just aren't
> there.

If I can get the wind to cooperate long enough to keep the mist off the camera, I think I can get a fantastic shot. The original was shot on 35mm and could really use a lot more detail.

> Still worth trying though, you never know, and carrying
> a 4x5 camera up there should keep you in shape...

I carried that camera up there several times now and it always reminds me of how not so young I am winking smiley

May 03, 2007 08:45PM
what2do wrote:
> Thanks for the advice! I've got my trekking poles and will
> plan on bringing lots of water. smiling smiley I've got a light
> wind/waterproof REI jacket and some convertible pants (that dry
> quick). Should I still wear a poncho?
>
> Sierrafan, I've read through a number of Half Dome hike reviews
> but I hadn't yet come across yours. It's awesome! The
> pictures are great and now I have a better idea of what to
> expect at the falls, satan's staircase, etc. Thanks!

I think Eeek has the right idea...there's a difference between hiking up the mist trail on a hot day/afternoon and heading up at 6AM with Half Dome in mind. A cheap $2-3 poncho takes virtually no space or weight, and will keep the majority of the water off your clothes.

The Mist trail, usually at this time of year is no gentle mist, and the jacket will work but a poncho will keep more of you dry. Having one in your pack at least gives you the choice. May is still an 'iffy' month in Yosemite for weather, so there's no guarantee it will be a hot day when you go, so you may not enjoy being soggy. You'll probably be pretty warm by the time you get to the top of Vernal Falls, but I don't know that being wet is the best way to deal with that...changing to shorts and peeling off a layer might be a more comfortable way to cool off.

Glad you enjoyed the photos, thanks for the comments.

Gary
May 03, 2007 08:56PM
You can even use a trash bag with arm holes cut in it.

May 07, 2007 01:05PM
Thanks for all of the advice. There is 13 of us coming out May 16 - 23rd from Gainesville State College in Oakwood, Georgia to study the glacier patterns. We are camping all over the valley because we couldn't get two sites together in the same campground.

Any last minute advice for us? We are doing a few of the small hikes and then on Saturday the 19th, we are headed for Half Dome.
May 07, 2007 01:09PM
You might want to start a new topic, this one is starting to go all over the map!
May 02, 2007 01:09PM
I'm glad to hear that camping at a campground is perfectly acceptable. Thanks for making the calls Mr. What2Do! I suppose bringing a camping air mattress is a good idea in case sites are rocky.

Good luck on your Half Dome hike! Wear sturdy shoes! (I recommend hiking boots or firm-soled hiking shoes because it's rocky at times). I also recommend long pants because of all the dirt and dust (unless you like getting dirty legs). Are you doing the hike all in one day?
May 03, 2007 06:54PM
I've been up the Mist tril a few times and never put on my poncho. I got wet, but it didn't bother me. Then there are a bunch of people who put their ponchos on because, I suppose, they hate to be wet. It's not like battery acid...just water.
May 03, 2007 06:56PM
Mixolydian wrote:

> I've been up the Mist tril a few times and never put on my
> poncho. I got wet, but it didn't bother me. Then there are a
> bunch of people who put their ponchos on because, I suppose,
> they hate to be wet. It's not like battery acid...just water.

If might be different at 6 am on one's way up Half Dome though.

May 03, 2007 10:37PM
Perhaps it is less pleasant to be wet early in the morning. In any case, it's always good to have a poncho in one's pack as bad weather can show up at any time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login