Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: GPS Suggestions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

GPS Suggestions
December 22, 2011 06:53PM
Any recommendations/reasons for upgrading the 60csx? Thx
December 22, 2011 07:42PM
Why?

I currently use the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.
My progression has been (w/reason why change):
Garmin GPS 12MAP
Garmin eTrex Venture Cx (smaller, lighter, better power consumption, higher res screen)
Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (high sensitivity receiver)

Why would I upgrade?
Well, I have two complaints...
1) At times the track wanders. I know I'm not at location x. Power cycle and it refixes the location properly... but track is not right..
2) Number of Saved Tracks is only 20

No idea if they have addressed #1. I know #2 is addressed in newer models... now has 200 saved tracks.
So I wonder if the "HotFix" tech. of Garmin addresses #1 at all or if it works the same.
Anyone?

So... you should get the eTrex 30 and tell me how it works. wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 22, 2011 07:53PM
I bought the eTrek 30. I love the huge amount of memory in the thing.

As for GPS functionality...

1) It gets initial readings much faster than prior Garmins, probably due to the inclusion of Russian GPS satellites. And it seems fairly quick at converging on a tolerably accurate altitude reading under normal circumstances.

2) It can still be off in really deep canyons...like Yosemite Valley. Saturday late PM in Curry Village I got a reading which it claimed was +- 50 feet (poor for it, but...), I set a waypoint. Then the next morning w/ similar claimed accuracy, standing in the same spot, it reported that the previous night's waypoint was 410 feet away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 07:54PM by ttilley.
December 22, 2011 08:12PM
I'm rather clueless about the next generation models of the 60csx, which has been out for awhile. Quicker, more reliable signals would be a reason to upgrade. Battery life of the 60csx is quite impressive. Are the newer models even better in this area? And the much increased internal memory must be nice, no?

The new onscreen/touchscreen keyboard technology isn't as much a priority for me. I actually don't mind the old-fashioned button pushing.
December 22, 2011 08:23PM
The eTrek 30 doesn't have the touch-screen thing, an omission that seems positive to me for a hiking GPS. Haven't had it long enough yet to evaluate battery life, though their 'Lithium/Alkaline' recommendation does make me wonder if their reported battery life numbers are for the lithium batteries. Not sure...no problems w/ alkaline, but too early to tell. I don't tend to record tracks, but I've installed tons of maps on the thing and still have plenty of memory.
December 22, 2011 08:35PM
You have the x model.. so the increased memory should be a moot point, no?
The battery life is about the same.
The latest of the 60 looks the same (18 hrs).
For eTrex, the new 30 vs. the Vista HCx is the same (25 hrs).

Here is what I'm talking about w/r to the wandering:

The yellow line... where it's really straight there... that is where I turned it off and turned it back on..
I knew I was a) on the trail... and b) certainly not that close to the river yet..

Note that even though I was in an almost slot canyon... it seems since I was going so slow (boating)...
that it kept a decent track...
Within Yosemite Valley... it's almost hit or miss how good a track you get.

The quick sat. lock is supposedly due to their HotFix technology. I was wondering if it also improved the
constant tracking.

W/r to batteries... I used Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables (I've mentioned this about 20 times in the last couple of years)..
they are the bomb. Work great all the time. I rarely pull out the backup Lithiums.
For example... 3 day trek around NW Yosemite a couple weeks ago... never changed batts..
(easily on for 20 hours)

December 22, 2011 10:42PM
Unless you need a new handheld GPS for some critical reason (like your old one broke or got stolen), I would hold off upgrading to a new model until this whole LightSquared controversy is played out (LightSquared wireless network battles critics and LightSquared Presses FCC Over Wireless Network). LightSquared, if given final approval by the FCC, could render all current GPS devices ineffective or unreliable.

Just a heads up for all concerned.

December 23, 2011 08:11AM
My 2 cents: GPS is too prevalent now... so if something comes along to make it obsolete in current devices...
it probably isn't going to fly. It's probably a moot point for backcountry GPS users.

Unless OVD wants to 'upgrade' b/c smaller, lighter, better batt wise eTrex 30... then I'd say..
use that cash and upgrade something else... (Steripen Opti? West Mount Sleeping bag?)
(btw... I am SOOOOOO sold on the Steripen after using it for half the year now)
(anyone poo poo-ing it... has an old model... or something else is wrong I won't say.. )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 08:16AM by chick-on.
May 14, 2012 08:46PM
December 23, 2011 10:51AM
What would you want to do with it that's different than what you use the CSX for?

I know there are more recent models, but the 60csx is pretty good.
December 26, 2011 01:55AM
I echo the other sentiments, I still have my Garmin 76CSx and I'm quite happy with it. Looking at the current models, I don't see the need to upgrade yet.
January 06, 2012 07:08AM
This is a nice review of the eTrex 30.
http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/etrex30/etrex30.html

One item that intrigues me to no end (anyone following this forum for anytime will not be surprised)
is the ability to put in Custom Maps. What happens so many times for me is... I either don't
bring any other maps with me other than the GPS and/or don't look at them much when hiking around.
With this feature can load up USGS (read: Benchmarks, own track, anything you want on a .jpeg)
OR VERY OLD maps... and guide you via that map... at least that is my understanding.

The eTrex does have the Russian Sat. receiver in it too. So along the ability to store 200 tracklogs...
Mrs. Santa bought me my Xmas present a few days later (I have yet to tell her though)
I'll carry both GPS when I get the new one and show some stuff later.
(I'll just assume there is some interest in this)

January 07, 2012 12:08AM
chick-on

(I'll just assume there is some interest in this)

Absolutely.
January 16, 2012 03:20PM
The newer GPSs that can load Custom Maps is really helpful for helping finding old trails.
This all depends on how good the map is, how good you are at georeferencing it,
and how accurate of a signal you are getting.

Here's an example:

Old Map of Old 4 Mile Trail:

Geo-referenced:

Capture of GPS screen with map:

Hiking it:

Today's map:

You can load photos onto the device also. If they are georeferenced they show up on the map (there's two there on my GPS above).

So, if I gave you the Ladies Rock photo... you could just dump it on your device and go to it:

So far the eTrex30 tracks look a little cleaner and correct than the old Vista HCx. It's only one sample though.

Ask if you want more ... prob. more than what most people want to know.

January 18, 2012 04:58PM
chick-on

So far the eTrex30 tracks look a little cleaner and correct than the old Vista HCx. It's only one sample though.

Ask if you want more ... prob. more than what most people want to know.

Just wondering, are you using any of the features that are included on the eTrex 30, but are NOT included with the eTrex 20?
January 18, 2012 07:47PM
Personally, I picked the 30 over the 20 because the 30 has a barometric altimeter. No other reason.
January 18, 2012 10:05PM
Yeah the only differences are:
Tide Tables (quite useful in Yosemite)
Barometric Altimeter
Electronic Compass

I just bought the 30 just because I may want those at some pt. and don't want to regret it later.
I never really used those on the Vista HCx. The Alti is maybe useful for elevation plots...
making them more accurate perhaps... but I personally don't care so much. I just want
to know where I am... where I'm going... and a map to help me get there.

January 24, 2012 07:48AM
Been playing with the custom maps. Love that feature.
A few more examples:

January 24, 2012 09:56AM
That's cool.
February 06, 2012 10:43PM
Man, those maps look really cool. I need to improve my tech-savviness.

I might look into the 62s for the custom map support. That looks to be a really neat feature.

Here is a link for model comparison: http://blog.hendricksen.eu/2010/08/22/comparison-between-garmin-gpsmap-60csx-and-62s/
January 12, 2012 12:45PM
Ohnivy-Drak
I have one of those. I wish I knew how to get my tracks onto a map.
January 24, 2012 10:57AM
hotrod4x5
Ohnivy-Drak

Rodney,
If you know how to save a track or simply get the gpx file off of your GPS.... you can use gmap4 to display it and print it out and whatnot.

Here's an example for the trek I did to Echo Lake (Echo of a Winter Classic):
GMAP4 Chick-on Map of Echo Trek

Ask and I can walk thru it.. but the help on gmap4 has the instructions in it... you just have to wade thru it..
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

January 25, 2012 07:56AM
Well allrighty... won't waste any more of my time...

If anyone would like the custom maps for Garmin just let me know.
I have them up on a site and you can download them.

February 10, 2012 12:00PM
chick-on
hotrod4x5
Ohnivy-Drak

Rodney,
If you know how to save a track or simply get the gpx file off of your GPS.... you can use gmap4 to display it and print it out and whatnot.

Here's an example for the trek I did to Echo Lake (Echo of a Winter Classic):
GMAP4 Chick-on Map of Echo Trek

Ask and I can walk thru it.. but the help on gmap4 has the instructions in it... you just have to wade thru it..
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf
Thanks! I always forget to check this page, I only look for updates on the Yosemite area.
February 07, 2012 04:53AM
I have a Delorme earthmate PN-60

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30538&section=10560

Anybody know much about these? I just got it a while back but haven't really been able to use it much yet. It's my first gps so i'm still getting everything figured out. once summer hits i would like to use it more.
February 10, 2012 10:02PM
From my research, here are some comparisons/improvements/criticisms 62s vs .60csx:

-calibrating the compass is easier
-camera feature that has auto-geotagging
-custom maps (previously mentioned by others) - but maps purchased from the 60 cannot be transferred to the newer?
-can hold twice as many waypoints
-screen seems to be just as easy to read
-similar speed picking up satelllite signals
-sharing wirelessly is a nice feature, but I doubt I'd be using it that much
-battery life seems as strong
-there was a bug associated with the barometric altimeter that seems to have been fixed with the newest firmware

The 62 seems very nice, not sure it's worth upgrading. I bet most 60 owners stick with their gadget, swear by it. If I'm looking for my first GPS, I would probably go with the 62 series. Even though the 60 would be fantastic and not obsolete by any means.
February 11, 2012 03:28PM
Don't get sucked in by extras like the camera. I have a Magellan eXplorist - the battery life completely sucks, nothing at all like they advertise. The battery icon can be at half power, you turn on the camera and take a picture, the gps turns itself off until you put in new batteries. The more stuff they pack onto a device, the less battery life you have - case in point, any smartphone.
May 20, 2012 09:32PM
Who has had experience with the Garmin Rino series?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login