Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Another grizzly attack

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Another grizzly attack
August 28, 2012 10:14PM
August 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Seattle woman attacked, bitten by grizzly bear in Alaska

Julia Stafford, of Seattle, was attacked and bitten by a grizzly bear about 20 miles north of the Denali Highway in Alaska on Sunday

... "We started walking uphill to get away from it, and it started walking toward us," she said. "We stopped once we saw it was following us and tried to get the bear spray out, but by then it was already running toward us."

Stafford had the can of bear spray in her pack, which she was holding in her hands, when the bear charged. She didn't have time to get it out before the bear crashed into them, she said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2019008641_bearattack29m.html
Re: Another grizzly attack
August 28, 2012 10:45PM
I'm really not trying to pile on but having the bear spray in the pack is not too much different than not having it at all. The bear spray needs to be readily accessible to be an effective deterrent. She was fortunate but she also had a very good attitude.
avatar Re: Another grizzly attack
August 29, 2012 09:55AM
KenS
Stafford had the can of bear spray in her pack, which she was holding in her hands, when the bear charged. She didn't have time to get it out before the bear crashed into them, she said.

Bear spray is useless when buried in your pack.
avatar Re: Another grizzly attack
August 29, 2012 06:56PM
I think I hear another funeral dirge in the background. Sarcasm sign

www.pbase.com/caesar77
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login