Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Sky Lakes Wilderness, Oregon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sky Lakes Wilderness, Oregon
August 20, 2016 10:44AM
Last weekend, after seeing a play in Ashland, I went on a one-night backpack in Oregon's Sky Lakes Wilderness. I've posted about this wilderness area before, when I hiked into the Seven Lakes Basin. This trip was into the Sky Lakes Basin.

I started from the Cold Spring trailhead, located here, about 10 miles north of Oregon highway 140. The linked topo map shows the last 0.5 mile as an unimproved road - that's no longer true, it's narrower than the rest of the road but reasonably smooth gravel. I hiked west towards the PCT so I could hike north along the ridge, then descend towards Margurette Lake, my destination. Hiking out Sunday, I took the more direct route back to the trailhead, along the Sky Lakes Trail.

I think I can get this working with Google Photos...
EDIT: Yep, this works! I upload the pictures and add them to an album, then go through the album and, with Firefox, right-click, Copy Image Location, then paste that link into the Image URL widget on this site. I confirmed from another browser which isn't logged into Google Photos that the pictures are visible.

The first lake I encountered was Deer Lake:

Here is a view looking east towards Upper Klamath Lake:

As I'm beginning to descend towards Margurette Lake, here's a view of Mt. McLaughlin:

Margurette (foreground) and Trapper Lakes:

Margurette Lake:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2016 10:46AM by ttilley.
avatar Re: Sky Lakes Wilderness, Oregon
August 20, 2016 03:08PM
Very Nice! I have been through there once...its a good spot. Thanks for sharing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login