Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Chilnualna Falls Easter Weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Chilnualna Falls Easter Weekend
April 11, 2012 07:02PM
The 8 inches of snow Chick-On mentioned for Palm Sunday weekend are gone, and then some. Unfortunately, the book of blank wilderness permits that's supposed to be on the Hill Studio porch at Wawona was also gone, the easel was there, the "Winter Wilderness Use" brochures were there, the locked box of white copies of filled-in permits was there...no blanks. I asked at the Wawona Hotel, they tried but couldn't help because nobody in the Valley Visitor Center was answering the phone, so I went to the South entrance and Donna made some calls and gave me a hand-written "permit" on the back of a "Resident Non-Recreational Travel Permit". Thanks Donna!

Pictures...here's the cascade above the main falls Saturday afternoon:

and ice-mist from the same cascade the next morning:

Upper falls:

Wawona Dome from the ridge north of the falls:

A small seasonal creek:

and a view of the Wawona area from near the top of the falls:

avatar Re: Chilnualna Falls Easter Weekend
April 11, 2012 10:22PM
My little trick is very simple.... first time you go that year... take a couple extra and put them in your car.
Worked a wonder at Hetch Hetchy when "there was a run on them this morning" according to the ranger.
"O... well... I happen to have one right here ... so no need to go looking for one".
(I DOOOOOO love Self Registration) (there was maybe 3 cars at the TH at that time so obviously
it was a newbie giving out permits)

Anywho. Berry Nice.
I'm guessing you got pestered by little black flies on the way up just a bit and it was purty darn warm.

(On Monday under Bunnell we actually found ourselves hiding in the shadows)

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Chilnualna Falls Easter Weekend
April 12, 2012 07:19AM
I forgot to mention the 'black fly' thing...they were very thick from about 4300 ft. (where the foot and stable trails meet) up to about 5500 ft. or so. Above that, no black flies, no mosquitoes.

Shorts and t-shirt during the main part of the day, a little below freezing at night but not bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login