Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Glacier Point Road is closed

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Glacier Point Road is closed
May 25, 2012 04:34PM
The road to Glacier Point is closed due to snow and ice.
Re: Glacier Point Road is closed
May 26, 2012 12:46PM
You just can't fool Mother Nature winking smiley
May 26, 2012 01:17PM
The park's FB page reports that Glacier Point Road reopened today late morning:
"While the Glacier Point Road is now open, you can see visibility remains limited due to low storm clouds."
June 17, 2012 12:58AM
I spent about 5-1/2 hrs at Tunnel Road area on May 25 and left for awhile just before 5:30 pm and went up as far as the turnoff to Glacier Pt where there are 16 mi to go, and that's an hour after closure, but cars were turning there to go up. I saw two hesitating but no obvious barriers. Must have been an indication somewhere. I took a still picture of what the snow was like there. http://www.pbase.com/andrys/image/143971411 and it links to a goofy 18-second video I made of the snow coming down on my windshield just before I got up there to that intersection.

The gallery that it's in is a set of photos of what Tunnel View's storm clearings were like that day. Beautiful of course, especially when I went back down to Tunnel View and now you could see the snow on the top of Cathedral Rocks!, which you just don't expect to see in the last week of May. At least I didn't expect to see that.

Felt really bad for 'Franky' who lost the camera and SD card of shots from that day. I hope to hear that someone saw it drop, picked it up to protect it from being run over and turned it in somewhere and Franky will eventually find it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login