Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Buena Vista Lake/Crest, Ottoway Lake, Half Dome August 2012

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Buena Vista Lake/Crest, Ottoway Lake, Half Dome August 2012
September 30, 2012 01:44PM
Hey everyone, this is a report from a trip I did in early August 2012 through the Clark Range.

Day 1: Mono Meadow to Buena Vista Lake
The hike to Buena Vista turned out to be harder than expected in part due to the fact that I ran out of water a few miles from the lake. Eventually I made it and had enough time to bag Buena Vista Peak before sunset.

Day 2: Buena Vista Lake to Ottoway Lake via Buena Vista Crest
Hiking the Buena Vista Crest to Merced Pass was fairly easy in terms of navigation but it was a significant amount of boulder hopping with a full pack. It took about 3 hours from Buena Vista Pass to Merced Pass. I made it to Ottoway Lake by about 2pm and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon while the thunderstorms were brewing. As usual fishing was great in the lake.

Day 3: Ottoway Lake to Merced Lake via Red Peak Fork
I was considering taking a short day today and maybe bagging Red Peak or heading to Edna Lake but clouds were building already at 9am so I decided to just head to Merced Lake. I raced down Red Peak Fork because I definately did not want to have to descend the steep slabs towards the end in the rain. I ended up making it to the bottom literally seconds before the rain started. I had lunch at Washburn and made it to Merced at about 4pm.

Day 4: Merced Lake to Mono Meadow (with stop at Half Dome)
Hoping to make it to Half Dome before any significant buildup, I wasted no time and started hiking early. Aside from almost stepping on a rattlesnake that was in the middle of the trail the hike was mostly uneventful. Due to thunderstorms nearby, I probably shouldn't have gone up Half Dome but I did anyway. I spent less than 5 min on top and made it down without any incident. Made it back to my car just before sunset.

Link to photos : https://picasaweb.google.com/117025886482845091325/BuenaVistaAndOttoway?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMjx9Mqbz6z7dg&feat=directlink

Chris

Edit: Fixed Link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 01:46PM by ckm554.
avatar Re: Buena Vista Lake/Crest, Ottoway Lake, Half Dome August 2012
October 01, 2012 12:03AM
Thanks for the trip report and the link to all the wonderful photos!

On this four day trip, how much did your backpack weigh?

October 02, 2012 12:32AM
Not sure what it weighed exactly but I would guess between 35 and 40lbs.

Chris
October 02, 2012 01:22AM
Thanks for the info.
Re: Buena Vista Lake/Crest, Ottoway Lake, Half Dome August 2012
October 02, 2012 12:06PM
You were moving at a pretty good clip - Were the "Blow Downs" cleared on the trail or do they still need to be cleared out?
Re: Buena Vista Lake/Crest, Ottoway Lake, Half Dome August 2012
October 02, 2012 03:00PM
Thanks for the report and the pics!!
October 02, 2012 10:20PM
There were a few blowdowns on the trail to Buena Vista but that was it. I'm not sure about the mess before Washburn that was out there in June as I bypassed it by going down Red Peak Fork. I would guess they cleared that up by now but who knows.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 10:20PM by ckm554.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login