Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Mileage Difference - Clouds Rest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mileage Difference - Clouds Rest
January 16, 2013 05:59PM
I have a hike coming up in late June, starting from the TH west of Tenaya Lake all the way down to Yosemite Valley.
Once you reach Clouds Rest, I was wondering what the mileage difference was from actually taking the trail up to Clouds Rest vs. taking the trail around Clouds Rest.
I know that you save yourself elevation gain, but was curious as to what the distance between the two trails are.

I've attached an image with the highlighted route in yellow.

Thanks in advance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 06:08PM by gkim.
avatar Re: Mileage Difference - Clouds Rest
January 16, 2013 06:27PM
Wondering why you are asking?
The additional elevation gain to the tippy top of Clouds Rest is trivial once you hit that trail junction.
If you want to do the lower trail... which I do recommend btw... go to the top of Clouds Rest ... and
before you start the main descent ... turn back around and go back to the junction and go down
and around. To get to that junction and not go to the very top is a mistake imo. Of course if you
are deathly afraid of heights then I guess that is another story.
But to answer your question directly... it's about 1/10th mile less to not go up and over Clouds.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 16, 2013 06:45PM
chick-on

Yeah, I'm wondering that myself. Not having been to Clouds Rest yet, and just looking at the topo...unless I were riding a horse (I don't have one) I'd be hard pressed to think of a reason why I wouldn't go to the summit. If I didn't want to carry the pack to the top I'd stash it, hike to the top, then come back. And if I were riding a horse the horse would need to wait.
Re: Mileage Difference - Clouds Rest
January 16, 2013 08:28PM
chick-on

I also agree. Why would you ever even consider going around Clouds Rest? It offers spectacular views for minimal effort. I would go to Clouds Rest 100 times before going to Half Dome.
January 16, 2013 10:33PM
Could a heights adverse hiker avoid the worst of the knife edge ridge by going around and up? (And likewise reversing that if doing a round trip from Sunrise Trailhead?) And curious why else the lower trail is "recommended" or wondering if that is just a general statement of recommendation that applies to so many places in Yosemite?---and assuming many people probably miss the lower trail altogether even if you have taken multiple Clouds Rest trips.
January 16, 2013 10:56PM
The lower trail is for stock.
January 17, 2013 04:02AM
chicagocwright
And curious why else the lower trail is "recommended"
I too am curious about this comment, but on first reading I took it to mean that after summiting he was recommending backtracking to the junction and descending around CR rather than descending straight down off the south face of it. But I could be wrong, I'm sure we'll get clarification.
January 17, 2013 07:20AM
chicagocwright
And curious why else the lower trail is "recommended" or wondering if that is just a general statement of recommendation that applies to so many places in Yosemite?

I think it is safe to say that Chick-on recommends all trails--abandoned, overgrown, or not even there--in and around Yosemite. But, definitely do the summit--let's say it's more recommended :-)
January 16, 2013 10:37PM
Ohh I was just curious. I heard great things about the view on top of Clouds Rest so I wouldn't miss it.

I'm also taking a few of my students out backpacking so I wanted to plan for an alternative route just in case.

Thanks Chick-On.
January 17, 2013 01:35AM
chick-on
If you want to do the lower trail... which I do recommend btw...

Why?
January 17, 2013 07:27AM
After you have gone up Clouds Rest from Sunrise TH... you drop down and into the trees.
Unless you are going to go explore The Pinnacles (well... now that is highly recommened too)...
Then the lower trail gives you a nice view of what you were just up on.
So that is where I am coming from. (and Old Dood hasn't done this trail)

Here's the junction area:

the lower trail goes around the middle big tree there ... and down and around

Here's the trail from up a bit:

You should go up and over a bit and get to here at least so you can get a good look at everything:

Then go back and sit atop Clouds Rest with your feet dangling over the edge and contemplate your
existence for awhile and wonder if you can do better and be nicer. (don't jump though. Life is worth Livin)

Go down that trail now.. and you'll see this:

and

Now every other trip you do look up and find Clouds Rest and you'll see the little knoby you walked around.

Have fun

o... and of course there's a bunch of other stuff to explore in this area... more pinnacles other than The Pinnacles and whatnot

January 17, 2013 10:27AM
Chick-on,
You're freaking awesome lol. Thanks for the detailed information!

You're like a Yosemite-Wikipedia

Again, I really appreciate the information on that part of the trail.

Gene
January 17, 2013 08:07PM
Planning on doing a day trip out and back to CR from Sunrise HSC this August. Any suggestions on routing up and around the area once we get to CR from Sunrise?
January 18, 2013 07:14AM
Not sure exactly what you are looking for. You want off-trail suggestions rather than
take the trail past Sunrise Lakes to and fro? (I certainly wouldn't take the JMT unless
you have never been on that section and wanted to mark it off your todo list)

January 18, 2013 07:17PM
I will look at a map and let you know...
January 20, 2013 09:34AM
I would go to Clouds Rest 100 times before going to Half Dome.

I agree! Half Dome is crowded, the cables are a pain and the entire trail is populated with 90% non-hikers. Clouds Rest offers the far more spectacular view and most of the people doing it are actually hikers, not tourists who talk loudly, walk two abreast and who litter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login