Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upper Pines Campsites No. 95 and 73 and RV Lengths

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Pines Campsites No. 95 and 73 and RV Lengths
May 28, 2010 10:40PM
Hello Yosemite Enthusiasts:

We are planning a trip to Yosemite next month and were able to get reservations at Upper Pines (our 5-day reservations are split between campsite no. 95 and no. 73, both at Upper Pines). I've seen pictures of the sites on two websites (yosemitescampsites.com and campsitephotos.com). So, I'm hoping that someone can help with a question that I have about Upper Pines site nos. 95 and 73. Here goes: I'm planning on borrowing my sister-in-law's 31' RV, but I noticed that both sites can only accommodate an RV about 24 feet long. (Also, I've read some info on the NPS's website and this forum saying that if you can get your RV/trailer/etc. into the spot, then all's good.) So, do any of you have first hand knowledge of whether I can maneuver a 31 footer into either of the two sites??

My dad recommends that we just back up the RV way back into the space no. 95, but after looking at the online pictures, I'm not certain that a 31' RV will fit into the space. (One good thing (possibly???) is that site no. 95 is a double-wide space.) Also, not certain what the turning radius is at Upper Pines site no. 73, and whether there is enough room to back it into the space. (Based on the online pics, space no. 73 looks plenty long, just not certain if it can be maneuvered into the space. The actual driveway length is 42 feet and the max RV length is 24 feet.) My second option is to rent a 24' RV, but I'd rather not if possible. Also, I've been pondering just how much of a difference a 24-footer is versus a 31-footer, but from my recollection, my sister-in-law's 31-footer is pretty BIG.)

So, just checking with you guys to see if you have any thoughts.

Much, much appreciated!!

--Ash
avatar Re: Upper Pines Campsites No. 95 and 73 and RV Lengths
May 29, 2010 06:09AM
Ash
Also, I've been pondering just how much of a difference a 24-footer is versus a 31-footer....)

So, just checking with you guys to see if you have any thoughts.

Extensive calculations suggest 7 feet shorter.

Seriously, from past readings of questions like this, it appears that the listed 'accomodation lengths' are extremely conservative estimates. They rather seem based on what someone who has never before driven an RV can easily park at the site. My guess would be that you could put the 31-footer in there blindfolded. I expect, however, that you will receive some more detailed feedback from forum contributers that actually drive RVs and haunt the valley campgrounds.
May 29, 2010 07:18AM
Dear Szalkowski:

Thanks for your reply! I agree with the conservative estimates, but based on the photo of U.P. site no. 95, doesn't the site look fairly small.....like it really is only 24 feet long?? I'll wait and see if I there are any more responses posted.

Thanks again.

--Ash
May 29, 2010 09:33AM
Good morning.. Just read your post.. Your 31 foot R.V will fit in site 73.. But your 31 footer will not fit in spot 95.. I own a 27 foot R.V and had site 95 last summer ..
We just managed to squeeze it into spot since there was a 5 foot overhang ( with no more room to spare)
Bring your R.V anyway, You can go to the check in , tell them you will not fit and they may send you to lower pines volunteer spots that back up to backpackers camp if avail.
OR you can pitch a tent at your site and leave the R.V at Curry village large parking lot and use R.V during day ( some rangers are under standing if some one sleeps in R.V at night as long as you have current reservations at the time)
I will be in Yosemite June 21-27 , I can switch spots with you if you have the same dates with no problem..
May 29, 2010 12:57PM
Just remember that the official Park take on this is that if you can't fit your rig into the spot they have no obligation to find you another spot.
May 29, 2010 10:59PM
Dear Marcia:

Thanks for your post this morning. (Sorry for my late reply, we've been at my daughter's softball tournament for most of the day, then the team had a swim party afterwards.) Your information on site 95 is very helpful!! We may just have to rent a smaller RV for the space because the majority of our reservation is at site no. 95, and I don't know if we can risk having to find another spot elsewhere. (But, have you checked out RV rental rates lately? They're quite expensive.) Thanks also for your offer to trade spots. That's very nice of you! Our Upper Pines reservations are for June 27th through July 2nd, so we'll be at Yosemite the week after your stay. Thanks again for your kind offer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login