Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Xmas with Chick-on at Lake Vernon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Xmas with Chick-on at Lake Vernon
December 27, 2010 01:20PM
Happy Holidays Everyone

Set here w/ comments:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/VernonXmas

Awesome trip. Just awesome. But what is new?
avatar Re: Xmas with Chick-on at Lake Vernon
December 27, 2010 01:22PM
Did you see what Larry got for Christmas?

http://comics.com/pearls_before_swine/?Page=3
December 27, 2010 05:37PM
Great Pics. Thanks for posting. One question, though.....how did you get the chicken's pic so that no tracks in the snow were showing. Did he "fly" into position ?
December 27, 2010 06:17PM
Larry Begins Accumulating Ingredients For A Cold Chicken Sandwich:

bill-e-g

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 06:20PM by szalkowski.
December 27, 2010 09:24PM
All I know is that I woke up at midnight ... Santa wasn't around... so Larry wasn't too happy.
1/2 hour later Chick-on and Larry are singing "Marmuts roasting on an open fire".

The Other Tom : thanks. Chick-on flew on top of the tree too... wink
also, if you look at the photos of the hammock you can see a Jacks R Better underblanket.

Couple of other notes:
- we hiked in the same clothes we hiked in in mid-July... you just put on puffy jackets when u stop
- had to get out of the tent and shovel snow in the middle of the night Sat. to clear out round the tent
- if you think snow shoeing is easy... I uploaded some videos of GW busting trail... here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/yosemitechickon

Have fun
December 29, 2010 10:10AM
Lookie at da pretty bird in the pretty snow! (other guy is kinda goofy lookin')

Where's the chicky-tracks?

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
December 29, 2010 09:48PM
Bee
Lookie at da pretty bird in the pretty snow! (other guy is kinda goofy lookin')

Where's the chicky-tracks?

Be nice to Larry. He got restraining orda for xmas.

Isn't there a song "my feet no touch the ground" ?

Singed,
Marmot Fishing in America Chick-on is looking at you! (aka The Blue Robin)

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 28, 2010 09:15AM
Any of you turkeys been to Vernon?

December 28, 2010 09:38AM
Too far. Too high.

Old Dude
December 28, 2010 09:55AM
mrcondron
Too far. Too high.
Gonna smack u up

December 28, 2010 12:24PM
chick-on

Is it like Table Lake?
December 28, 2010 01:22PM
eeek
chick-on

Is it like Table Lake?

It's more like Hágönglón.
December 28, 2010 01:43PM
I used to go there all the time like in 1980 before the chicken even lost his baby down feathers. The 10 miles in from Hetch Hetchy seemed easy then. I can't imagine breaking trail in the snow all the way. Well done. The fishing was quite good in the old days and the bear activity is still the highest I can ever recall anywhere in the Sierra. Do they still dump the problem bears from the valley back there? We used to enjoy all the games we played with the bears keeping them from our food. Once at Lillian lake we saw some guys sinking their food in garbage bags in the lake because they lost all their hung food the day before. Never thought of that. We used to bring firecrackers and throw them at the bears when they came into camp which they did often. I know it's wrong but no different than what the rangers do now and it worked. I had a bear stand on me while I was asleep in Beehive meadow one night. He was trying to get my pack which I was sleeping next to. My food was hung properly and my scream scared him away. I remember one summer at Vernon there was a mama bear with 2 cubs and she had a radio collar on. She would charge every hiker that passed - I think in hopes of people dropping their packs and running. Must have worked a couple of times but the hikers I saw held their ground and were ok. That same bear stood on her hind legs 10 feet in front of me when I tried chasing her out of our camp there. That was pretty cool but a little worrisome at how unafraid she was.
December 28, 2010 04:07PM
apeguy,
They quit dumping the problem bears there many years ago. They found the bears would just wander
back to wherest they came from. (i.e. once a valley bear... always a valley bear) This turned out
to just put them into greater danger since now they had to play frogger to get back too.
There's some habituated bears around Laurel and Vernon still... but nothing like before.. that's for sure...
Back in the day (har har) they would also just walk around your site when you were sleeping
and knock over your bear can ... seeing if you were one of "those" humans.
My guess is that about 1/2 of the bears I've seen going to Vernon or over Moraine have boogied when
they heard me... so it's prolly getting better.
Rancheria had the same issue you mention ... bears snagging people packs, being very aggressive...
they had to close it for a while and do some serious reconditioning... I think about 3 years ago...
Anywho, if you figure what da heck Marmut Guy means... lemme know...
Toodles,

December 28, 2010 04:35PM
chick-on

T.W.I.M.C.,
An obscure lake in Iceland to which The Marmots send invasive, non-native species (i.e., chickens) found wandering in the backcountry:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=64.560388,-18.158855&num=1&t=h&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=64.560241,-18.15834&spn=0.03215,0.108318&z=13
[The clerks at the Tuolumne Meadows Post Office should be quite familiar with it.]
December 28, 2010 08:26PM
szalkowski
chick-on

T.W.I.M.C.,
An obscure lake in Iceland to which The Marmots send invasive, non-native species (i.e., chickens) found wandering in the backcountry:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=64.560388,-18.158855&num=1&t=h&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=64.560241,-18.15834&spn=0.03215,0.108318&z=13
[The clerks at the Tuolumne Meadows Post Office should be quite familiar with it.]

Google no find... so thought you were making stuff up again...

December 28, 2010 09:51PM
chick-on
Google no find....

It defeats the whole purpose of sending the chickens there if they can figure out where they are after being released from the postal package.
(Don'tBelieveInAirHoles-ly Yours)
The Marmots
December 28, 2010 10:55PM
szalkowski
chick-on
Google no find....

It defeats the whole purpose of sending the chickens there if they can figure out where they are after being released from the postal package.
The Marmots

P.S. See, for example, the chapter titled "The Shipping of Trout Fishing In America Shorty to Nelson Algren" in the book "Trout Fishing In America" by Richard Brautigan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_Fishing_in_America

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 11:34PM by szalkowski.
December 29, 2010 08:40AM
Trout Fishing in America Marmut Man,

Eye may be mainstream... but ... "I'm out der" wink

Singed,
Trout Fishing in America Chick-on is looking at you!

(for da records... anyone out der...
don't take any of this serious... or as a slight or anything...
it's all in good fun... )

December 29, 2010 10:09AM
szalkowski
chick-on
Google no find....

The Marmots

You Sir, Marmot-man are officially on notice for hassling Yosemite's Most Endangered Species: Yosemite Chick-on is looking at you!

Any further incusions will result in a citation (eeek will design a nice one wink and possible incarceration! (imagine The Beaks behind bars!!)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
December 29, 2010 10:45AM
Bee
...Yosemite's Most Endangered Species: Yosemite Chick-on is looking at you!

We are eternally grateful to the cooks on the early Sierra Club High Trip outings for the significant achievement of removing most of the "pink locusts" from the backcountry environment.
(Historically Yours)
The Marmots
December 28, 2010 04:08PM
eeek
chick-on

Is it like Table Lake?

Nothing is as nice as Table Lake.

December 28, 2010 06:27PM
A few years ago, in June...your pictures make me want to go in the winter sometime, though this year I have Kibbie Lake and Lassen on my snow camping list.
December 28, 2010 06:59PM
Yes Rancheria was bear central in the 80's. That was our early season loop when I was in college: Rancheria to Till Till and over the hill to Vernon. I kind of miss the bears before the canisters were required. I never lost any food to a bear but lots of morons could never figure out proper counterbalancing. The canisters are working and I haven't had a back country camp raided in years and my daughter is doubting my stories as I take her to some of the places that used to involve nightly battles with the bears. That's a good thing and I am getting used to my stupid canister and not having to tie a rock to the end of a rope at dusk and looking for a good branch.

Awesome pictures - thanks for posting
December 28, 2010 07:37PM
apeman45
I kind of miss the bears before the canisters were required.
I saw two bears on my first day out of the Mono Meadow trailhead this past July 4 weekend, after seeing one the day before near Crane Flat on my drive into the park. They seemed to be doing their own thing, as I've previously seen in the Trinity Alps, instead of being Sierra Camp Raiders (and similar to you I've never lost food to a bear). I thought that was pretty cool, and hope for more such sightings in the future. I love seeing bears.
December 28, 2010 08:30PM
ttilley
A few years ago, in June...your pictures make me want to go in the winter sometime, though this year I have Kibbie Lake and Lassen on my snow camping list.

Posty something if/when you go to Kibbie. Went der with The Old Dude many moons ago in Feb I think.... and didn't take camera back then...
Hike in from the dam to Kibbie is a good one.. Prolly gonna go there next xmas time...

January 02, 2011 12:06AM
WOW Amazing PICs! Thanks so much for posting. Lake Vernon is one of my favorite places. As a city kid all my life, it was my first camping trip ever at 18, sometime in the 80s. It was amazing! So glad that was my first experience as opposed to say, the valley. The trip from HH to Vernon made me fall in love with camping and backpacking. The Vernon trip was an annual trip for a group of friends. Did it about 5 or 6 times. I remember lots of bears too! Haven't been there in many years. Thanks for the reminder. I think my kids are ready to take the trip this summer!
Thanks again for the great Xmas present!

Sharon
Oakland
January 03, 2011 05:28PM
Glad you like Sharon, it means a lot. Hope you can get your kids there this year.

January 04, 2011 02:47PM
this is just like one of my fav chick-on pix from the Picasa Picture book, think it was from last year, in the snow sans the santa hat...damn sorry missed chick-on while you were in SF...face time, beak time, happy new year from sunny SF!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login