Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: tenaya lake "crossing"

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

tenaya lake "crossing"
June 05, 2011 07:44AM
hey all,

in a little over two weeks, my son and i will be standing at the tenaya lake outlet contemplating the real value of our kahunas as we consider wading across the outlet (assuming it's not ice covered) on our way back toward the valley. with the extraordinary snow cover, is foregoing the ex-kahuna-cation by going around the lake (toward the inlet) even an option?

signed,
getting cold feet -- ha ha, i made a funny.
avatar Re: tenaya lake "crossing"
June 05, 2011 08:39AM
It was no problem when I crossed the outlet years ago. That was in late August though.
June 05, 2011 08:42AM
Putting this link here for others interested:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36860,37840#msg-37840

You will have a better chance on the east side of Tenaya mainly due to the fact
that there is a split. Tenaya Creek and the outlet from Lower Cathedral.
I have only been on that trail once and certainly not at blue balls timeframe
so I drew a map for you to contemplate other options in life.

https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Maps?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfB556ul_nAQg#5614753921921791282

"A1/2" - The split of Tenaya and Outlet
"B" - Just a comment. You don't need to really worry about Av. or anything along this side of the lake.
There is only one very small spot where the trees are not right at the lake.
"Alternate" - A option is to simply hike the road up to 9205 (Lamb Dome) and hike xcountry to Cath Lakes.
The route I drew is in the trees and is definitely doable. It's a route I would do without hesitation.
I would not recommend taking the Medlicott Dome route at this time w/o expecting to turn back.
"Chick-on Approved" - Spectacular route. Can take this all the way to Echo Valley... and then hike
down Merced River. Believe me. This is pretty sweet. I'd go this way 99 times/100 compared to
Long Meadow/Sunrise HSC. and IMO trumps Clouds route. Yes, Clouds is spectacular.... but
can you just come back and dayhike it? Of course this makes your route longer. But after
Cathedral Pass it's fairly simple.

Anyway, you'll probably just suck it up and blue ball it across Tenaya Creek.

Whatever you end up doing... it'll be fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 05, 2011 10:00AM
There's still that little matter about the Tioga Road being open.
(Don't count your chickens etc. - stay tuned to this station.)
June 05, 2011 10:08AM
szalkowski
There's still that little matter about the Tioga Road being open.
(Don't count your chickens etc. - stay tuned to this station.)

He's starting at Rockslides in the valley and using da feets to get there.
Thus the comments regarding hiking on the road... etc.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36860,37759#msg-37759

June 05, 2011 12:23PM
if i went with options A1/A2 and B (east around tenaya), i shouldn't have any trouble resuming my original course (back near tenaya outlet) toward sunrise and clouds right? all this without snowshoes -- gotta admit, the possibility "postholing" for several days is kind of bumming me out. anybody got an update on snow-walking conditions around tenaya? i suppose a lot can/will change over the next couple weeks before i would get up there anyway -- guess i'll just stay tuned.
June 05, 2011 02:24PM
mtc
if i went with options A1/A2 and B (east around tenaya), i shouldn't have any trouble resuming my original course (back near tenaya outlet) toward sunrise and clouds right?
That's the idea.

The snow should be nice and consolidated by then. Shouldn't need snowshoes.
With luck you will have hit it nicely where it's fun to walk on and suncups haven't taken over
(although your route doesn't go thru suncupville areas).
Worse case is you burn thru too much time getting to Tenaya and have to turn around and
go back out Snow Creek. (or by the time you get to Olmsted it's swarming with tour buses)
My concern is that you are just attempting to blast from pt. A to pt. B and walking by
some things you should be really checking out and enjoying.
How many days you planning to take to do this?

June 05, 2011 02:52PM
we're taking six nights to make the loop -- without the snow, the plan would allow for rather leisurely days. here's the campsite itinerary: cascade creek, yosemite falls, snow creek, mildred, pre-cloudsrest, LYV. as you'd suggested earlier, camping mildred and climbing tenaya peak next morning are probably out. if i skip mildred, the stretch from snow creek to just before cloudsrest may be a stretch (16mi?) in the snow. i'd really like to do cloudsrest/halfdome if possible (and not life threatening). i would appreciate your (and anyone elses) thoughts.

so stoked, i've already started packing -- i consider myself an ultralighter but, with six days of food (in two %&$%#@ bear cannisters) our packweights are up to 18-19lbs each (everything but water) ---AARGGHH!!!. that 5 lbs of cannisters is killin' me!!!
June 05, 2011 04:29PM
FYI, in case you haven't done it, I did a rough TOPO! profile of your route.
You will be climbing and descending ~±12k if you go up over Clouds Rest and skip Half Dome.
June 05, 2011 06:29PM
szalkowski
FYI, in case you haven't done it, I did a rough TOPO! profile of your route.
You will be climbing and descending ~±12k if you go up over Clouds Rest and skip Half Dome.

This seems to fit that hike:

Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch. —Sheldon Cooper
June 11, 2011 08:47AM
Ok so im goig next week to yosemite for another trip. Our plan is to come early and hopefully get a permit for a different trail than what we have already booked.

Due to snow and other factors we had to withdraw our reservation for T.Meadows so we reserved yosemite falls entry trail head. We hoped to hike up to Tenaya lake then down to sunrise lakes, then to clouds rest then exit happy isles.

**My question is there a way to get around the Tenaya outlet ..We dont want to get wet...I heard mention about the inlet and it being split up but is it wide,deep? any other way?

Also Is it possible from tenaya lake trail to go off trail and follow the stream (that leads out of cathedral lakes down to tenaya lake ) upwards to cathedral lakes?
June 11, 2011 12:25PM
Jpsfirstresponse
. . . snip . . .Also Is it possible from tenaya lake trail to go off trail and follow the stream (that leads out of cathedral lakes down to tenaya lake ) upwards to cathedral lakes?
While this is possible, I wouldn't want to do it while backpacking, unless you're doing ultra-ultra-light.

You still have to cross the creek somehow. You can only go up the steep granite slabs at the Cathedral Lake outlet on the opposite side of the creek than you start on. It's a nice day hike.
June 06, 2011 07:46AM
Clouds and HD should not be a problem then. Cables almost for sure up by then.

I wouldn't necessarily camp at those spots... but you have so many days... you should
have plenty of time to find places that meet whatever requirements you have.
Even floundering around at various fun spots you should be able to pull that loop off
no problemo imo with that many days. Kinda figured you had so many days...
and thus the "Chick-on Approved" route above.

I'd like to see your gear list. I figure about 2lbs/food per day.
So just that is 14+2.5(can) = 16.5 lbs. So the rest o gear must be featherlight.

June 06, 2011 10:02AM
with two re-packaged freeze dried meals per day (breakfast and dinner) at around 4 oz. each plus a couple of clif bars for lunch/snack, i'm typically less than 1 pound per day -- this has worked well for me on week-long trips. general gear list includes: bd lighthouse tent, gg mariposa packs, wm down bags, mb down jackets, neoair pads, steripen water treatment, jetboil, plus a couple handfulls of basic accessories (headlamps, blade, cord, chapstick, lighter, platy bottles, etc..). with 5 days of food and a liter of water, i did 6 days on the AT last june at a starting packweight of 17 lb -- of course, no bear cans or warm clothing.
June 06, 2011 03:43PM
You not packing right. I need to find you a picture of my bear can (must contain Twinkies!)

Seriously, good stuff. I'm ultralight usually.. many times just bivy+tarp... unless there
is a 30% chance of precip... then tent comes out (got smacked 3 times w/i last 6 months w/ 30% chance of precip)
so I can laze.
WM bag is nice. Got a supa dupa winter one. 30 bag with liner coming out for this bird for awhile now.

Have fun

June 06, 2011 05:47PM
don't tell my son anything about twinkies!!!!! hhmmm, how much does a twinkie weigh?........not much you say? maybe i could sneek a few in there.

i had an interesting debate with myself on whether to take my beloved alchy stove or my steadfast (and i do mean fast) jetboil. after some experiments and quick math, i decided the jetboil was the way to go for two people and 6 days -- the weight (and sometimes fickle nature) of the alchohol required caused me to go with the jetboil.

one of these days i need to try the tarp thing. on my AT trips i've used the gg "the one" tent -- pretty light, single person, single wall full protection for just under a pound. what kind of tarp do you use? here in the midwest, a tarp might work during the cold months -- otherwise the plethora of bug life would surely do me in. the other thing about tarps that concern me is dealing with frequent thunderstorms and heavy winds in the warmer months. i simply can't imagine a square inch left dry under a tarp after a good ol' windy midwest t-storm -- i guess that's what the bivy is for.

by the way, thanks so much for your (and everyone elses) helpful advice and comments!
June 06, 2011 06:05PM
mtc

i had an interesting debate with myself on whether to take my beloved alchy stove or my steadfast (and i do mean fast) jetboil. after some experiments and quick math, i decided the jetboil was the way to go for two people and 6 days -- the weight (and sometimes fickle nature) of the alchohol required caused me to go with the jetboil.

one of these days i need to try the tarp thing. on my AT trips i've used the gg "the one" tent -- pretty light, single person, single wall full protection for just under a pound. what kind of tarp do you use? here in the midwest, a tarp might work during the cold months -- otherwise the plethora of bug life would surely do me in. the other thing about tarps that concern me is dealing with frequent thunderstorms and heavy winds in the warmer months. i simply can't imagine a square inch left dry under a tarp after a good ol' windy midwest t-storm -- i guess that's what the bivy is for.

by the way, thanks so much for your (and everyone elses) helpful advice and comments!

You must have a jetboil that works. Haven't seen one of those yet - I usually end up boiling water with my White Box for the jetboil users when it's too cold at breakfast.

I have an OES MacCat for my usual tarping goodness - tho most of the time I try to string my hammock up under it so I can sleep at night. I've been through some rain under it with nary a wet sock. Just got to set up in the right spot is all.
June 06, 2011 06:55PM
expecting some "fairly cool" morning temps, i do plan on keeping the jetboil cannister in my sleeping bag with me overnight. apparently you've seen the dark side of the jetboil? do tell.

interesting articles about half dome with the cables down -- if we arrive with good weather, will most likely make an attempt. i realize that doing HD is a little "ho-hum" for many on this board, but this being our first "out of valley experience", i am thrilled by the idea.
June 06, 2011 09:27PM
mtc
expecting some "fairly cool" morning temps, i do plan on keeping the jetboil cannister in my sleeping bag with me overnight. apparently you've seen the dark side of the jetboil? do tell.

interesting articles about half dome with the cables down -- if we arrive with good weather, will most likely make an attempt. i realize that doing HD is a little "ho-hum" for many on this board, but this being our first "out of valley experience", i am thrilled by the idea.

I see the dark side of a lot of the popular gear items, simply because I have a huge hiking group and popular items are popular.

I suspect that if more people knew the light solo versions of the Primus EtaExpress system are lighter, faster and cheaper than jetboils, Primus would sell more of those - but REI only stocks the huge Primus group sets and jetboil spends more on advertising. Alas. Literally, the Primus EtaExpress Solo boils water in the time it takes you to rip the Mountain House bag open. Talk about efficient. (I don't have one, sometimes hike with someone who does. Watched him make dinner and breakfast at least a dozen times now. Nice setup.)

It's not just about fuel temps. Nearly every jetboil user I've met has some sort of trouble with it eventually. I have a dozen or so folks out on a trip, using all kinds of stoves, and the jetboilers are the ones asking for matches, taking them apart, fussing and fighting... the pocket rockets, snowpeak gigas and assorted others including the heavy Coleman burners, work. Mostly. All stoves are fiddly, don't care who you talk to, but some are more fiddly than others and for my money I'd rather spend the $$$$$ on clothes and food, and punch a row of holes in a (free cause I have a cat) cat food can, burn some denatured alcohol, and have coffee while everyone else is clicky-clicky-why-won't-my-piezo-work....

But I'm weird that way. I own that. Cannot understand why "fast" is so important when mealtime is for sitting in the morning sun with a cuppa and waking up, or kicking back after a long day of hiking. Do not care that anyone else's stove is the seventh technological wonder of the world.... If it breaks and you have to buy a part for it after hiking back out to the car, or bum matches, or borrow someone else's, I'm not impressed. I can stand on and drop the White Box stove, and any of the alky stoves I have are light enough that I can carry a second stove and still be lighter than any of the canister users. Very much appreciate the money I saved, too.

As for HD, it's neat-o, all right, but the crowds really turn me off big time. I have a list of hikes that I will do more than once (and a short list of hikes I'll do anytime!) and HD isn't on it, precisely because everyone else is doing it. Lots of other things to see before I die - some of them I will do many times, because they are sublime and righteously awesome, and do not need permits and red tape either.
June 07, 2011 04:24AM
totally with you on the "need for speed" idea. if it were a shorter trip or i was solo, i would be using my gram weenie alchy stove and heiney pot for sure. geesh, now you got me worried about my jetboil -- but she hasn't let me down yet. i have heard about the issues with the piezo (sp?) ignitor -- which doesn't bother me so much -- that's why god made bics.
June 07, 2011 07:07AM
I would never spend the extra cash for Piezo.
Bics. Work in all weather (rub a dub dub to warm up).
Haven't brought anything else for years.

Last time I was in REI I was hugely disappointed.
They are really catering to the masses and the amount of
UL gear in store is pathetic.

June 07, 2011 07:20AM
They have UL gear - that's what it says on the label! And then it weighs 3 lbs... well, it's Ultralight-er than the 6 lb backpack, anyway.

Sometimes I look at the freeze dried food for a bit. And then I go get real food, eat more calories per meal, and pay less. Magic!

Making pasta salad on a 12-10 stove - mmmm....

June 07, 2011 10:03AM
chick-on
Last time I was in REI I was hugely disappointed.
They are really catering to the masses and the amount of
UL gear in store is pathetic.

One thing about REI is that their inventory of items tend to vary quite a bit from store to store. Sure, every REI store will carry the top selling items for the chain, but one store would have more emphasis on camping items, including backbacks, another store will have a larger selection of bikes, while another store will have the best selection for water sports.

Usually, I've found that the REI San Carlos store has had a better selection of camping and backpacking items than their stores in the South Bay (Fremont, West San Jose, Mountain View). Maybe it's because Redwood Trading Post is located nearby in Redwood City.
June 07, 2011 10:48AM
Then again, you can also cross Tenaya Lake like that.

http://www.frogmom.com/2009/07/across-tenaya-open-water-swimming-at.html

I tried to copy and paste a photo in the message but I was out-technologized by the format of the message. How do you do that?
June 07, 2011 11:05AM
Like this:

and this:

and this:

(I just clicked on the "Insert image URL" icon () located on the toolbar above the message input textbox and then pasted the URL for a photo.)
June 07, 2011 10:32PM
Redwood Trading Post?! I will have to check that out.
June 06, 2011 07:00PM
ah, a hammocker. i would also like to try that. sometimes it's a challenge to find a suitable spot to pitch a tent. being a side-sleeper, i have heard that, at a bit of an angle, you can actually lay flatly on your side in a properly pitched hammock, yes?
June 06, 2011 09:30PM
mtc
ah, a hammocker. i would also like to try that. sometimes it's a challenge to find a suitable spot to pitch a tent. being a side-sleeper, i have heard that, at a bit of an angle, you can actually lay flatly on your side in a properly pitched hammock, yes?

As a side sleeper, I find that I start out that way and eventually end up on my back, in a hammock, which is the only time I am comfortable in that position... and since I have an easy-to-pitch hammock like the Warbonnet it is ridiculously easy to be flat enough to side sleep.

Stomach sleepers have a different style of hammock they can use, but I dislike the confines of a bridge hammock. Feels like being in a bathtub. But more comfortable than the ground!
June 06, 2011 08:37PM
How properly pack your bear can:

(you'll just have to believe me that this is at Bernice Lake)
Cupcakes and Fruit Pies are always a welcome treat too. wink

As for tarps... my favorite setup is MSR eWing and MLD Superlight Bivy:

MLD Bug Bivy works great too. If worried about wind then I'll take the MLD Alpine Bivy
(or not camp IN the wind) (yes, I have a lot of gear... but I use it... so I'm ok with spending the cash)
Depending on time of year, etc. I hem and haw of what to use and bring... although
in The Sierra you can mostly get away with just a sleeping bag.

I personally wouldn't worry about the Jetboil. I've changed from winter MSR Dragonfly to MSR Pocket Rocket already.

My wife got into Hammock camping (with many thanks to Almost) and she MUST have trees now.
I like to sleep on my stomach so I doubt I'll bring it solo... but it is really nice to nap in midday.
I don't normally like to show the same photo twice... but I like this one:

You can find other hammock photos in my sets. Bought the wife a Jacks R' Better underquilt
and she uses it year-round. The hammock we bought is a UL Clark Jungle Hammock. Really nice.

June 06, 2011 09:21PM
chick-on

But where's the Cheetos!?!
June 06, 2011 09:32PM
plawrence
chick-on

But where's the Cheetos!?!

It's not properly packed without Cheetos OR gummy bears!

A chocolate pie is a bonus but would not make it into the bear can - would be gone the first day.
June 06, 2011 09:52PM
AlmostThere

If I had a choice though, I would rather substitute Jelly Bellies for Gummy Bears... smiling smiley
June 07, 2011 10:28AM
plawrence
AlmostThere

If I had a choice though, I would rather substitute Jelly Bellies for Gummy Bears... smiling smiley

The trader joe's version of Jelly Bellies are better.... Feed ME!
June 05, 2011 04:25PM
Two questions about this area:

What is the name for the dome right next to Tenaya Lake? It begins literally across the road from the lake. From the road you can hear the climbers shouting to each other. I have seen it referred to as Stately Pleasure Dome, but I've never seen that name on a map. Polly Dome is further north. Or is this one simply considered part of Polly Dome? I have marked its summit with a blue C.

There's a small waterfall on Tenaya Creek fed by Lower Cathedral Lake, and it's visible from Tioga Road if you are driving north. I marked its approximate location with a blue D. Does it have a name, and has anyone hiked from Tioga Road up to it?

Thank you
June 05, 2011 04:42PM
Bob Weaver
Two questions about this area:

What is the name for the dome right next to Tenaya Lake? It begins literally across the road from the lake. From the road you can hear the climbers shouting to each other. I have seen it referred to as Stately Pleasure Dome, but I've never seen that name on a map. Polly Dome is further north. Or is this one simply considered part of Polly Dome?

There's a small waterfall on Tenaya Creek fed by Lower Cathedral Lake, and it's visible from Tioga Road if you are driving north.

There is no official USGS name for that dome.The longstanding climber's name for it is, indeed, Stately Pleasure Dome.

Have never seen/heard any appellation applied to the cascade coming down from Cathedral.

(If I recall correctly, you asked these exact same questions 1-2 years ago.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 04:56PM by szalkowski.
June 05, 2011 04:57PM
Bob Weaver
There's a small waterfall on Tenaya Creek fed by Lower Cathedral Lake, and it's visible from Tioga Road if you are driving north. I marked its approximate location with a blue D. Does it have a name, and has anyone hiked from Tioga Road up to it?
I never heard a name for the waterfall.
Lower Cathedral Outlet Cascade? smiling smiley
Lower Cathedral Cascade?
Seem appropriate.

There is a climber trail to Lower Cathedral by Medlicott.
Talked about in detail here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,28755
Highly recommend that nice route...

As for going right up the left side of the creek. I'm certain people have done it.
But it's steeper than it looks.

June 05, 2011 05:04PM
chick-on
Bob Weaver
I never heard a name for the waterfall.
Lower Cathedral Outlet Cascade? smiling smiley
Lower Cathedral Cascade?
Seem appropriate.

The We Don't Needz No Stikin Marmut's Waterslide

Signed,
Da Blue Robin,

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 06:40PM by bill-e-g.
June 05, 2011 11:52PM
Bob Weaver
Thank you

Yes, but the last time was over 20 years ago when I was working as a backcountry ranger (read I was younger and more adventerous and/ or stupid). I essentially followed the creek from Teneya Lake all the way up to lower Cathedral Lake. I crossed the creek near the east end of the lake and then stayed on the south side of the creek all the way up to the lake. I walked up the slick rock that is the waterfall-cascade you are talking about. It is fairly steep, but doable with climbing or approach shoes. I did it later in the season when the flow out from lower Cathedral was low. I do not think you could make it up that face next to the falls if the outflow was high. The walk was actually very nice, not very bushy. I have some old pics someplace if you want to see those falls.
June 14, 2011 11:02PM
Soooo-- as of my talk with the Wilderness office rangers today, it sounds like this crossing may be as bad as chest high. Best case scenario was presented as a frozen crossing (unlikely) assuming the road even opens. For the first time, I'm considering a change of plans. Ugh.
June 15, 2011 04:34AM
well then, unless i can catch the tenaya lake ferry, i'm definitely going to try my luck walking around the inlet side of the lake next week.
June 15, 2011 04:35AM
oh, is there no better crossing downstream from the outlet?
June 15, 2011 07:16AM
I doubt it.

You guys got me all jazzed about this. I wanna see this darn outlet now!

I'm packing up and making an attempt at my Chick-on approved route tomorrow!

June 15, 2011 07:28AM
awesome! Man, I really envy you guys out there so close to the Sierras. Please take a dang picture of the outlet --- you know, one with you standing chest deep?
June 15, 2011 12:07PM
mtc
awesome! Man, I really envy you guys out there so close to the Sierras. Please take a dang picture of the outlet --- you know, one with you standing chest deep?

Don't hold your breath. He will get the much taller Olde Dude to stand in the river. This will make the crossing look like it's only knee deep and chick-on will commence to tell us we're all wusses.
June 15, 2011 01:00PM
tomdisco
mtc

Don't hold your breath. He will get the much taller Olde Dude to stand in the river. This will make the crossing look like it's only knee deep and chick-on will commence to tell us we're all wusses.

Nah. I would never call you wusses. I highly doubt my booty will go in that water. Actually I don't plan to go in it...
I want to go below Matthes Crest and next to Upper Cathedral (i.e. the route I drew before).

Olde Dude is AWOL. Almost ready to give up on him. Me and bill-e. That's it.

June 15, 2011 04:34PM
chick-on
tomdisco
mtc

Nah. I would never call you wusses. I highly doubt my booty will go in that water. Actually I don't plan to go in it...
I want to go below Matthes Crest and next to Upper Cathedral (i.e. the route I drew before).

Olde Dude is AWOL. Almost ready to give up on him. Me and bill-e. That's it.

Perhaps Mike has got to the point where he no longer likes snow?
June 15, 2011 04:51PM
tomdisco

He's just given up looking for a hike as nice as the one up to Table Lake.
June 15, 2011 06:41PM
eeek
tomdisco

He's just given up looking for a hike as nice as the one up to Table Lake.

Well.. I'm ALWAYS up for going to Table Lake!

He says he is busy with other things... that's fine. I always tell him to do what makes him the
happiest. I wouldn't take him on this march if he was going. I'm not busy at work so... off we go...

June 19, 2011 06:13PM
Chick-on Approved.... Chick-on Tested

June 17, 2011 02:30PM
Hello MTC. I came across your forum here as I was doing research for a very similar hike. We are planning on crossing the Tenaya Lake outlet on July 1, a few days after you, with full packs. If you get any photos I would love to see how deep the crossing is so I can be prepared. I am hoping it's not much higher than waist high, but if the ranger you spoke with says chest high, may need to go up to the inlet to keep the equipment dry.

Thanks.
June 19, 2011 06:15PM
Something for you to chew on until mtc gets back:

Outlet on Thursday:

Find the pictures with those rocks in and do the math.

Inlet on Thursday:

June 19, 2011 08:43PM
Impressive. Thanks for the photos. I guess plan B may be in order. Anyone have an answer to this: I have a WP for two nights to leave from Sunrise Lakes trail head. Plan on camping near the intersection of JMT and Clouds Rest trail. Since we may not be able to cross Tenaya outlet, how strict are the rangers if we wanted to leave from the valley floor as long as we camp in the same location we would have camped had we come from Sunrise? Last time I did Half Dome I hiked a full pack in just to see how hard it would be, and no one even asked to see a permit. At the same time, I do like to follow rules.
June 20, 2011 08:15AM
kevclark360
how strict are the rangers if we wanted to leave from the valley floor as long as we camp in the same location we would have camped had we come from Sunrise?
You should ask them and see what they say. wink
(I always have a permit so I dunno the ramifications exactly)
(have only heard stories...)
And, of course, if you do this you will run into a ranger.

June 20, 2011 10:07AM
Wouldn't the rangers be a bit more understanding if you left from the Cathedral Lakes trailhead instead of from the Valley floor? You could even park your vehicle at the Sunrise trailhead and take the Tioga Road shuttle to the Cathedral Lakes trailhead to make things a bit more kosher.
June 20, 2011 10:18AM
Thanks for that suggestion. Any idea how many miles that adds if we are trying to reach JMT and Clouds Rest trailhead?
June 20, 2011 10:24AM
It's kinda where you start hiking from... not where you park your car.

Just get the Cathedral Lake TH if thats where you are starting. If it's full... get something else.
I doubt it will fill anyway. Both lakes are frozen over. Lots of people will be bailing.
And they will say that you have to cross Cathedral Creek which may be fun.

June 20, 2011 09:26PM
Thanks for all the advice, and I really appreciate the photos. As of now, after speaking with a ranger toady, our group is going to try the crossing. Get some dry sacks for the packs and take the plunge. Won't be my first creek crossing in the snow, but looks to be the longest at this point! I'll take some before/after photos to post. If too cold, we'll just walk out via Mist Trail and catch a shuttle back up.
June 20, 2011 09:53PM
I just wouldn't expect it to go down much before the 4th.
There's still plenty of snow to melt and a lot in the watershed of Cathedral Lakes.
Regardless I'm sure they'll be plenty going for it.

Have fun

June 21, 2011 09:04PM
chick-on
It's kinda where you start hiking from... not where you park your car.

Just get the Cathedral Lake TH if thats where you are starting. If it's full... get something else.
I doubt it will fill anyway. Both lakes are frozen over. Lots of people will be bailing.
And they will say that you have to cross Cathedral Creek which may be fun.

Sunday evening there were no cars parked at the Cathedral Lakes trailhead. Today there were just a few.
June 21, 2011 04:39AM
It'll be no problem at all if you get yourself a new permit for the trip. If you have a permit for one trailhead and are clearly not starting from that trailhead, you have no permit at all.

Consequences? You could ask my buddy who got escorted allllllll the way back from Red Peak Pass to his car and asked to leave the park because he didn't have a permit. Oh, and the fine.

They'll also escort you back if you take something you shouldn't, like a dog, or an Ursack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 04:48AM by AlmostThere.
June 21, 2011 07:07AM
That's awesome. (I'm not kidding)

Saw some schmucks camped outside the campground in LYV. Tent clearly visible from the trail.
Unfortunately never ran into a ranger on the way out... almost considered going into the
wilderness center...

Just follow the rules please. It's really not that difficult.

Make the wilderness rangers job an easy one.

Have fun

June 21, 2011 09:46AM
chick-on
Saw some schmucks camped outside the campground in LYV. Tent clearly visible from the trail.
Unfortunately never ran into a ranger on the way out... almost considered going into the
wilderness center...

Isn't there still some areas with cell. phone reception in LYV? Thought I had picked up a signal last time I was there. If so, you could have phone in the violation. wink
June 21, 2011 10:49AM
That would involve me actually having a cell phone...

June 21, 2011 11:30AM
I figured that if you carried other electronics with you, like a GPS, you might have been carrying your cell. phone too.
June 21, 2011 06:44PM
I carry a GPS in the backcountry, I never carry a cell phone. I take that back, I did once, in the FL Everglades, never saw a signal. Anyway...for one thing, I seldom expect the thing to work in the backcountry anyway. For another, if the 'receive' feature did work I'd probably not be happy.
June 21, 2011 07:01PM
ttilley
I carry a GPS in the backcountry, I never carry a cell phone. I take that back, I did once, in the FL Everglades....

Shouldn't it be called [sorry, couldn't resist] "backwater" in that one case???
June 21, 2011 07:08PM
ttilley
For another, if the 'receive' feature did work I'd probably not be happy.

I carry mine -- turned 'OFF' though. Saves the battery power and no chance of an unwanted phone call or text.
June 21, 2011 09:02PM
chick-on
Something for you to chew on until mtc gets back:

Outlet on Thursday:

It was a few inches lower today.
August 06, 2012 11:25AM
Not much problem crossing Tenaya Lake outlet this year. This popular post talked about crossing the Tenaya Lake inlet, but photo showed high water there also. There is a large steel and wood bridge over the inlet near Pywiak Dome. I had heard about this bridge before, but had not seen it until last week. This bridge is several miles out of the way, but could be useful during high water.
June 21, 2011 08:57PM
I always carry my satellite phone ... works anywhere ... way out far in the backcountry ... I always b'pack solo .. so it's my last resort call back in the event of trouble ... like aliens ... bigfoot ... lochness monsters ... whatever else lurks out there ...
June 21, 2011 09:09PM
Anvanho
I always carry my satellite phone ... works anywhere ... way out far in the backcountry ... I always b'pack solo .. so it's my last resort call back in the event of trouble ... like aliens ... bigfoot ... lochness monsters ... whatever else lurks out there ...

Like marmots and pink chickens... wink
June 22, 2011 09:55PM
June 22, 2011 10:45PM
Great photos. Very optimistic for July 1. Thanks.
July 05, 2011 08:09AM
eeek...you know I've been watching this subject for weeks and today is the first day that your pic from June 21 came up! (For example, kevclark360's first July 4 photo has not appeared yet.) Do you know that on June 23 the water came up well over the snow? I looked back at my pics and I do think I can make out the rocks...they are in the middle of the "lake."
June 28, 2011 02:10PM
I assume people want to know what mtc ended up doing:

Here's an exchange I had with him:

mtc
yes, i'm back .... well, at least physically -- my mind is still out there.

my boy and i had a great time. after losing a day due to an un-intentional hold-over in st. louis (thanks, u.s. airways!), we had to adjust/shorten our itinerary. ended up doing 3 days/3 nights up rockslides to snow creek and then two days/one night up lyv and around half dome to finish out the week. so i didn't get a chance to do the tenaya crossing. probably for the best as we were really challenged each day on the north rim with navigating the snow-covered portions of the trail (and out of site of the valley) -- not to mention the fact that snowmelt is particularly cold this time of year. for the first time in my life i had to use a map and compass -- a bit un-nerving but exhilaratingly exciting when we popped back out on the trail each time!!!!

i'm already planning next year's trip!!!!!! thanks again so much for your comments and advice.

mtc

chick-on
By clicking on your abuser id I see you are back.

In case you not see it... I end up doing this a bit before you started:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39233

What did you end up doing?

July 04, 2011 08:18AM
Just got back from a great trip: Sunrise Lakes to the Valley floor. We crossed Tenaya outlet no problem. Up to our waist. Had full packs on, very easy. Lots and lots of snow. More than I had anticipated, but manageable. Just slow going. However, we did decide to go out via Mist Trail rather than go back down the switchbacks above Tenaya Lake. We met another couple on those switchbacks going up using an ice ax, which was a good idea. Had we gone back down an ice ax would have made it much easier. I will try and get photos posted online today and link to them, but this photo attached is at the top of the switchbacks looking back toward Tenaya Lake. Many creek crossings, but all doable. We did not summit Clouds Rest - too tired from the snow, but two day hikers did.

Due to snow we were on trail only 20 percent of the time, but snow is melting fast. I would imagine with this heat the trail may be mostly exposed within 8 to 10 days. Hope this helps anyone else headed up there.

July 04, 2011 09:03AM
Cool. Nut sure why you wouldn't have thought there would be LOADS o snow...
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39990

July 04, 2011 05:28PM
I know. Wishful thinking got the better of logic.

Tenaya Outlet Crossing:

Going up the "switchbacks":
July 05, 2011 04:36AM
Thanks for the info and pics. I am thinking about doing the exact same route in about 10 days and have a few questions:
-Was there much snow from the creek crossing to the bottom of the switchbacks? How about from the top of the switchbacks to Little Yosemite Valley?
-Do you think snowshoes or crampons might help us in getting through the snow/ice?
-Where did you end up camping?

Thanks for any help
July 05, 2011 09:05PM
When we left, yes, there was a lot of snow. But it is melting fast. When we hit the trail on Friday morning the trail sign was under snow. When we got back to the truck on Sunday the sign was clear as was much of the trail to the creek.

From the top of the switchbacks you drop on a south-facing slope into a valley/bowl. The south facing side has no snow. When we got to the bottom, in the trees, we were in snow, deep snow in places, until we got within about two miles of JMT. We camped .5 miles from JMT and Clouds Rest junction - no snow.

Snowshoes would not help. If the snow is the same level as last weekend, crampons could help in some places, but not enough to justify carrying them unless you little experience in snow (though they would have helped us go down the switchbacks had we gone back out that way). I also think the snow will melt quickly in this heat.

Good luck!
July 10, 2011 07:12PM
Do you think trail crampons would be good to use. Like Kahtoola's micro spikes?

http://www.rei.com/product/774966/kahtoola-microspikes-traction-system

Did you post hole alot?

We are heading up and plan to hit the trail on Friday 7/15.

Plan on taking it slow. Need to be at Happy Isles on Monday evening 7/18.

We want to hit Clouds and Half Dome.

Thanks,
Rick
July 10, 2011 09:11PM
We did post hole, but only three or four times per person (did break one of my trekking poles, though). If you are hiking through the the floor you shouldn't need any type of cramp-on. We would have liked them mostly for the down part had we gone back out to Tenaya, but we also ended up hiking through. I haven't been up there since last weekend so I am not sure how much snow has melted, but there is guaranteed to be less than when we were there and we were fine. By July 15 you should see trail in most locations. I wouldn't carry extra weight if I were you.
July 11, 2011 09:42AM
Video of our trip:

July 11, 2011 12:13PM
Nice video of the trip. Thanks for sharing it.
July 11, 2011 12:27PM
Cool video but, um, did you have a hit man take out everybody else on the cables or something? winking smiley Seriously, I'd have expected the cables to be packed (or were you up very early and down very late?)
July 11, 2011 09:06PM
We were up there at 5:25am, just in time for sunrise. Only ones on the cables, but there were about 12 others already on top. We were the only four with HD permits. The others all started from the floor between midnight and 2am. Everyone got off the subdome by 7:20, just as the two rangers were getting there to begin checking for permits. I talked to one of the rangers for 10 min or so, and apparently this is fairly common. The ranger gave a lecture to the others, but no tickets. We didn't start seeing larger groups on the trail until we got back to the JMT junction around 8 a.m.
July 11, 2011 05:59PM
kevclark360
Video of our trip:

Nice shots and content. The clip transitions are painful though.

Old Dude
July 11, 2011 06:26PM
mrcondron

I almost commented on that as well. I'm guessing that I'm a few years closer to the MTV generation than you are, Mike but that doesn't mean I like that type of editting. With a place as beautiful as Yosemite, I want to dwell on every shot. If that makes the video 20 or 30 minutes long, so be it. You definitely do have some cool shots there, Kev...wish you gave us more time to enjoy them! winking smiley
July 11, 2011 06:59PM
DavidK42
mrcondron

I almost commented on that as well. I'm guessing that I'm a few years closer to the MTV generation than you are, Mike but that doesn't mean I like that type of editting. With a place as beautiful as Yosemite, I want to dwell on every shot. If that makes the video 20 or 30 minutes long, so be it. You definitely do have some cool shots there, Kev...wish you gave us more time to enjoy them! winking smiley

Nice cross-fades would work just fine.

Old Dude
July 10, 2011 09:16PM
I'll give you my 2 pennies worth...
Those spikies are good if the snow is completely re-frozen. That's about it.
If you have to get going very early in the morning then they may be of some use.
Typically though they are just things you are carrying and are wondering why.
Last year... over 4th we carried them for a good 50 miles and never used them once.
This year ... 40 miles... 18 in full snow... played it smart and left them in the car.
Only time I regretted it was when the wife said we weren't getting hiking until 9am.
Unfortunately she didn't buy it when I turned my watch ahead 1 hr.

Have fun

July 07, 2011 09:28AM
Here's how the Tenaya Lake outlet (and parking loop) looked on June 23:

July 07, 2011 12:32PM
The snow plow was gone?
July 07, 2011 12:41PM
eeek
The snow plow was gone?

yes, snow plows were gone from there; there was only one other car in the parking lot loop at that moment (6/23 around 3:30 that day)
July 07, 2011 01:02PM
It was on the other side of the road... (and I'm not kidding)

July 07, 2011 01:04PM
chick-on

Okay, so why did the chick-on cross the road?
July 07, 2011 01:06PM
eeek
chick-on

To take a picture of the snow plow?

July 07, 2011 01:11PM
chick-on
eeek
chick-on

To take a picture of the snow plow?

This one?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dsc_1669.jpg.html
July 07, 2011 01:25PM
Yes, that one:

(ok, I didn't actually take a picture of it on June 24th... ) (but it was on the other side of the road)

July 07, 2011 01:18PM
vdrummer
eeek
The snow plow was gone?

yes, snow plows were gone from there; there was only one other car in the parking lot loop at that moment (6/23 around 3:30 that day)

Oh yes, sorry, snow plow was definitely parked across the road (checked my video), but not in the parking loop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login