Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Spring...Maybe

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Spring...Maybe
June 07, 2011 08:12AM
Take a look at the extended forecast, especially the part in BOLD letters beginning Wednesday night. Is it possible that Spring has finally come out of hiding?

Today: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57. West southwest wind around 6 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Light wind becoming east between 12 and 15 mph. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: A 20 percent chance of showers after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming west between 11 and 14 mph. Winds could gust as high as 18 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. West northwest wind 9 to 11 mph becoming east northeast.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming west between 10 and 13 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 58.
June 07, 2011 08:42AM
I suspect it will change, just like the last 10 times it said something like that...

I plan a hike and a week before, the forecast will look like that. The day before the hike, I check again, and it's either "chance of thunderstorms" or "winter storm watch." If it hints that it might rain, I pack like there's going to be snow - we've been snowed out of coastal trips twice now.
June 07, 2011 09:40AM
AlmostThere
I suspect it will change, just like the last 10 times it said something like that...

I plan a hike and a week before, the forecast will look like that. The day before the hike, I check again, and it's either "chance of thunderstorms" or "winter storm watch." If it hints that it might rain, I pack like there's going to be snow - we've been snowed out of coastal trips twice now.

Maybe if it does change it will change to even better conditions.
June 07, 2011 10:14AM
NOAA for "Yosemite Valley Ca" shows 71, 72, 71 for weds, thurs, fri. @ 4759 ft. (The Valley is about 3900-4000'). And that's in the shade....
June 07, 2011 11:38AM
Spring is here?

June 07, 2011 09:53PM
Today was the first sunny day in over a week. Someone suggested that we're going to have 90+ temps next week, but I'll believe it when I see it.

That said, I enjoyed cruising around town in the sun this afternoon. I even got so warm, I enjoyed the seconds here and there I was in the shade.

And here I was about to tell the MIL that we'll pass on her offer to "camp" at the Pinacles this weekend. Maybe I spoke too soon?
June 08, 2011 01:09AM
LONG TERM (SAT-TUE)...A WEAK TROF WILL PERSIST ALONG THE WEST COAST THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK, MEANING A CONTINUATION OF TYPICAL JUNE MARINE LYR CONDITIONS FOR COAST AND VALLEYS WITH JUST MINOR DAY TO DAY TEMPERATURE VARIATIONS.
June 08, 2011 08:12AM
It's gray here again this morning. Here's hoping it burns off by 10 like yesterday.

My allergies kick up when it goes from rainy/cloudy to sunny. I'd like for the weather to pick one and stay that way for a day or so, so I can have some un-medicated time. Preferably on the sunny side, so I can also have some tomatoes.
June 08, 2011 07:52AM
In another month people will be complaining about the heat.

From Chick-on Approved weddersite:

(c)Intellicast*

*Some information provided by Intelligent Birdlife (Marmuts not sure which way north is) (can't tell time) (and still miffed why tail not prehensile)
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,35510,38149#msg-38149

MARSupially Yours,
Chick-on is looking at you!

June 08, 2011 03:18PM
You know that any weather "forecast" beyond 72 hours is basically a fantasy in the forecaster's mind? (Or at least in the CPU of the weather forecaster's computer.)

Even going out to 96 hours, the forecast for the fourth day out is more than a bit sketchy.

Anyway, here's the official three-day forecast, direct from the Park Service:
    Yosemite National Park Wednesday, June 8, 2011
    WEATHER

• YOSEMITE VALLEY: Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
  • EL PORTAL: Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
  • WAWONA: Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 78.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 03:57PM by plawrence.
June 08, 2011 03:23PM
plawrence
You know that any weather "forecast" beyond 72 hours is basically a fantasy in the forecasters mind?

That's not always true. But one should read the forecast discussion to find out how well the models are doing.
June 08, 2011 04:14PM
eeek
plawrence
You know that any weather "forecast" beyond 72 hours is basically a fantasy in the forecaster's mind?

That's not always true. But one should read the forecast discussion to find out how well the models are doing.

Usually, not very well, especially in the winters and early springs here in California. (For most summers, it's quite easy to do an accurate extended forecast, because the weather is so repetitive.)

The problem with the extended weather forecasts for California (and the rest of the Pacific West Coast) is simply that there is not enough data from over the Pacific Ocean for the computer models to use to give any real accurate extended forecast.
June 08, 2011 04:47PM
I took a meteorology class when I was at KU a hundred years ago. One of the most interesting electives I ever took.
June 08, 2011 05:10PM
itchbay
I took a meteorology class when I was at KU a hundred years ago. One of the most interesting electives I ever took.

But it's all a bit cloudy now?
June 08, 2011 05:19PM
eeek
itchbay

... or is it a total whiteout?
June 08, 2011 05:23PM
szalkowski
eeek
itchbay

You can't be cirrus!
June 09, 2011 08:38AM
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
itchbay

You can't be cirrus!

Snow way.
(You started it.)
June 09, 2011 08:45AM
szalkowski
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
itchbay

You can't be cirrus!

Snow way.
(You started it.)

And you had to rain on my parade?
June 09, 2011 09:35AM
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
itchbay

You can't be cirrus!

Snow way.
(You started it.)

You guys are flooding me with humor.
June 09, 2011 09:36AM
mtn man
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
itchbay

You can't be cirrus!

Snow way.
(You started it.)

Flooding? We just drizzle a bit here and there.
June 09, 2011 02:27PM
eeek
mtn man
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
szalkowski
eeek
itchbay

You can't be cirrus!

Snow way.
(You started it.)

Flooding? We just drizzle a bit here and there.

I see....
June 09, 2011 10:13AM
mtn man
Rolling on floor laugh

They're all wet.

(on a related note... wondering why Itchy studied Meteors in college)
(or if she elected to not even go to class)

June 09, 2011 12:11PM
chick-on
mtn man
Rolling on floor laugh

They're all wet.

(on a related note... wondering why Itchy studied Meteors in college)
(or if she elected to not even go to class)

We don't have high expectations for the chikin... he always has such a bad altitude.
(Alpinely Yours)
The Marmots

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
June 09, 2011 01:28PM
That blows.

Signed,
(AlwaysGotzMyHeadInDaClouds)

June 08, 2011 03:44PM
Regardless, when the forecast for the entire coming week says 0% chance o precip...
Then it's highly likely that this here bird will be a sleeping under the stars come Friday night.
smiling smiley

June 08, 2011 08:25AM
I will be happy if chick-on's forecast materializes. (It is forecasted to be in the 90*'s in Bishop next week and in Fresno also.)

I was at Tioga Pass on Friday and up at Mosquito Flat yesterday. Snow needs to start melting a little bit...
June 08, 2011 08:45AM
hikerchick395
up at Mosquito Flat yesterday

The road is open?
June 09, 2011 01:35PM
Looking good. Looking berry good.

Signed
(WeNoNeedingNoStinkinTent)
Chick-on avec les pieds

p.s. Now we just have to keep that rascally Marmut in his burrow for the next week... wink

June 09, 2011 01:40PM
chick-on
p.s. Now we just have to keep that rascally Marmut in his burrow for the next week... wink

Chick-on's first name is Elmer?
June 09, 2011 01:45PM
szalkowski
chick-on

Chick-on's first name is Elmer?

I thought it was Gallus.
June 08, 2011 09:22AM
The road is only open to the pack station and isn't even open around Rock Creek Lake yet. Beyond the pack station, the road is about 75% snow covered.

But the restrooms at Mosquito Flat are open and one snow free campsite (backcountry permit holders only) available across the bridge.

Lots of snow beyond Mosquito Flat!
June 22, 2011 08:33PM
hikerchick395
The road is only open to the pack station and isn't even open around Rock Creek Lake yet. Beyond the pack station, the road is about 75% snow covered.

But the restrooms at Mosquito Flat are open and one snow free campsite (backcountry permit holders only) available across the bridge.

Lots of snow beyond Mosquito Flat!

The road is open to Mosquito Flat now:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/cm-dsc_1797.jpg.html

And, so far, it isn't living up to its name.
June 23, 2011 10:15AM
eeek

The road is open to Mosquito Flat now:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/cm-dsc_1797.jpg.html

And, so far, it isn't living up to its name.

Like anyone is complaining about it. But don't worry, within three weeks (or less) is will start living up to its name.
June 08, 2011 05:38PM
all those years at altitude (and in cali?) have a cumulus effect on the memory.

ugg, that was bad, sorry about that.
June 09, 2011 11:07AM
I can't even see what this thread is about anymore due to the dense fog.
June 09, 2011 03:58PM
Glad we aren't near Butte, Montana. They had snow this morning.
June 09, 2011 05:01PM
Louis
Glad we aren't near Butte, Montana. They had snow this morning.

Butteifull! Hah hah, couldn't resist that one!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login