Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Showers Lake Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 12, 2011 06:31PM
Basic Report: Lots Of Snow.

Showers Lake Pictures Here

On the way in I followed the ridge towards Little Round Top, dropping into Showers Lake just before the cornices at +9325 on the topo map. Much of the ridgeline was free of snow except for the corniced areas. I had section on the descent where the snow felt like slab-over-hollow-space, thankfully it was short, everything else was fine. There were two snowmobilers there (illegal on that side of the ridge, though not designated wilderness), they quickly left as soon as they saw me and I had Showers Lake to myself.

From the ridge all of the Meiss Country lakes looked iced-over. Once I got to Showers I saw...it was iced over, except for one small patch (I could reach across it with my shovel) by the rocks on the west side of the outlet. Meaning I didn't have to use the stove to melt snow. Yay, me!

I generally followed the PCT on the way out, and saw two avalanched cornices, a recent one just beyond the cabin, a less recent on the climb up the saddle had taken out some trees and deposited their bits across the landscape.

Some pics...

Showers Lake:

The Upper Truckee Valley and Lake Tahoe:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 06:42PM by ttilley.
June 12, 2011 06:45PM
Kewl.

What you need dat monster tent for? I told u it not gonna rain.

(I sleepy in Alpine Bivy... wake up to da stars)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 12, 2011 06:54PM
chick-on
Kewl.

What you need dat monster tent for? I told u it not gonna rain.

(I sleepy in Alpine Bivy... wake up to da stars)

Aside from the fact I normally take it...the winds howled for the first part of the night, I was glad I had it. Curious...looking at the NWS recorded conditions for South Lake Tahoe, the winds were calm there, only blowing during the afternoon. Not so near the crest.
Re: Showers Lake Trip
June 12, 2011 07:26PM
Yikes! They weren't kidding when they said the snowpack was heavier this time of year than ever before. That area is usually snow free by May. Thanks for sharing those pictures with everyone. I enjoyed them!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login