Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

Advanced

Glen Aulin Hike, 6/25/11

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 26, 2011 08:34PM
I didn't actually make it to the Backpackers Camp there, Conness Creek was passable (thigh-deep on the far end of the bridge), but the waterline on the trees was two feet above that, and by evening the water rose back to that point. So I camped on top of the ridge to the west.

I hiked in by Little Devils Postpile, and got this view of Tuolumne Meadows...still flooded.

The river was definitely flooding:

White Cascade looked far more impressive in the evening, when I didn't get good pictures, in the early afternoon it still had a lot of water, with substantial mist along the trail:

Here's the view of Glen Aulin proper that I had from my campsite:

No mosquitoes along this hike, but walking down in Glen Aulin (the real one), they're beginning to hatch there.

Finally...please do not bring food that won't fit in your bear can assuming you'll use a bear locker. You may not be able to reach it. After sunset I went in my tent, and heard the sounds of a group setting up camp by headlamp, in the dark, 150 feet from me. They seemed to be attracting a bear, I found out later that they had a loaf of bread taken while they were dumping out their gear and setting up camp. The next morning I left my tent to the sight of two grocery bags of food hanging from a tree, about 4 or 5 feet high, and a bear eating from them. Two hours later, as I was getting ready to leave, the same bear came back (cinnamon fur, yellow ear tag, there was another w/ white ear tag that wasn't camp-rading). They had a bear can, but they had extra stuff and were assuming they could use the lockers at Glen Aulin, but by the time they arrived Conness Creek was quite impassible. On the good side they did clean up all the resulting garbage.
Re: Glen Aulin Hike, 6/25/11
June 26, 2011 09:17PM
Great shots, that river is roaring
June 26, 2011 09:32PM
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.
avatar Re: Glen Aulin Hike, 6/25/11
June 26, 2011 10:08PM
Very nice photos.

May I add DO NOT PUT YOUR OWN LOCK ON THE BEAR LOCKERS AT THE TRAILHEAD!!!!

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 27, 2011 08:21AM
ttilley,

When you say Conness Creek was impassable I am presuming the wooden bridge over the creek is still there but the water was so high it just swirled around the other end where the HSC is located. Is that correct?
June 27, 2011 08:31AM
Yes. The bridge is fine, the HSC-end landing was under thigh-deep moving water in the afternoon, two feet deeper than that later on. Both landings of the bridge over the Tuolumne were under water as well, but not nearly so much. Probably knee-deep at the worst on the north side, w/ a log connecting the above-water portion to dry land. Shallower on the south side, but wider and no log.
June 27, 2011 08:40AM
chick-on
Very nice photos.

May I add DO NOT PUT YOUR OWN LOCK ON THE BEAR LOCKERS AT THE TRAILHEAD!!!!

People actually do that? What idiots!
June 27, 2011 08:45AM
ttilley-- In what is becoming a recurring theme for me and this forum... are you the hiker I passed just upstream from the upper bridge, where the Little Devils Postpile/Pothole Dome route joins the main trail?
June 27, 2011 08:59AM
basilbop
ttilley-- In what is becoming a recurring theme for me and this forum... are you the hiker I passed just upstream from the upper bridge, where the Little Devils Postpile/Pothole Dome route joins the main trail?
If it was Sunday, you going downstream and me going upstream, then probably! I only saw one hiker along the Little Devils Postpile route, I didn't see anyone Saturday until I got to the main trail.
June 27, 2011 03:55PM
basil,
Did you go all the way down to Waterwheelie again? (see, now I'm envious)
(if I'd have known Old Dude's car broke and not coming... I would have went down there too via May)
(spent 4 delicious hours waiting at GP road)
(I'm still burping up the hot dog) (why do good ideas end up soooo bad?)

June 27, 2011 04:00PM
Yes, I did (pictures forthcoming...)--couldn't resist seeing the Tuolumne's many falls in high water.
May 15, 2013 07:04PM
Amazing pics. You can see why some of the HSC open so late some years... Wow.
May 16, 2013 02:43PM
This one from basilblop is purty kewl:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,43562,43562#msg-43562

(esp. the Return Creek muddy waters)

May 21, 2013 07:19PM
Hafta agree with you. Pretty cool stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login