All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A couple of pics from last weekend
December 21, 2011 08:32AM
http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php?sk=basic&success=1#!/photo.php?fbid=207428819343107&set=a.101990279886962.3782.100002279706994&type=1&theater

The only quiet time, during my visit on Sunday, was a hike up little Gaylor Peak. Otherwise, it was quite busy on 120...the word was out that the pass was open. It was hard to avoid voices and car noise along the corridor.
Re: A couple of pics from last weekend
December 21, 2011 08:35AM
avatar Re: A couple of pics from last weekend
December 21, 2011 08:40AM
Wonder if this works:

Love the Gaylor Lake one

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 21, 2011 09:05AM
I'm not given the choice to "paste" on the photo...only on the address. (?)
December 21, 2011 09:53AM
hikerchick395
I'm not given the choice to "paste" on the photo...only on the address. (?)

What I did was click on your link... and then in my web-a-browz-er... right clickied... and
selected properties... and got this url

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/381631_207428819343107_100002279706994_469808_658153691_n.jpg

put [ img ] and [ /img ] around it (w/o the spaces... ) and you get peekchure...
You can hit preview to make sure it worky... before posting...

Hope this helps...

December 21, 2011 10:14AM
Sorry to make this a tutorial. Maybe it will help someone else.

I found the address in the properties OK. Do I have to physically type in the address here? (Tried a few things and no worky.)
December 21, 2011 10:25AM
You will need to enter the entire URL. You can just select it on the properties view and then copy it. I assume you are using internet explorer, but if you use chrome or firefox you can right click a photo and select 'Copy Image URL' or 'Copy Image Location' respectively without having look at the properties and having to manually select the url.

Once you have the URL copied you can paste it into a message. You can insert it between the [ img][ /img] (no spaces) tags as chickon suggested or click on the picture button (see at: ) in the message editor options, and then just paste it into the pop-up message that comes up.

Hope that helps.
December 21, 2011 10:44AM
OK...I am not offered the option to copy when right clicking on the URL. Only the option to select.

Yes I am using WIE8.
December 21, 2011 12:28PM
So for IE, right click the photo.

On the menu that appears, select properties.

A new window should pop up.

In that new window should be a listing for Address or URL. Select (highlight) the entire address, it maybe two or more lines and you may have to scroll down by holding down the left mouse button and moving it below the address field (at least I did). It should end in something like .jpg. Copy the address (ctrl-c or right-click the highlighted text and select copy).

Now you should have the full address in your clipboard and now you can paste it into a message.
December 21, 2011 12:31PM
buster
So for IE, right click the photo.

On the menu that appears, select properties.

A new window should pop up.

In that new window should be a listing for Address or URL. Select (highlight) the entire address, it maybe two or more lines and you may have to scroll down by holding down the left mouse button and moving it below the address field (at least I did). It should end in something like .jpg. Copy the address (ctrl-c or right-click the highlighted text and select copy).

Now you should have the full address in your clipboard and now you can paste it into a message.

Or just install something that doesn't install viruses for you.
December 21, 2011 01:41PM
Maybe this will help:

From Spacebook... right clicky ... then select properties as such:

You get this:

Using left mousey ... select entire URL .. then right click and select copy... as in:

Compose new forum msg... and right clicky and paste...

and Voila! Lookie the nice peeekchure

(does pictures are from Windoze Intermanet Explorer 8... so hopefully same process... give er a go)

December 21, 2011 11:47AM
buster
You can insert it between the [ img][ /img] (no spaces)

No spaces: [img] [/img]

Note: you can escape the tags by putting a backslash in front of the first one.
December 22, 2011 08:27AM

Holy cow...like pulling teeth, eh? I dinked around yesterday, determined to get this. I even switched to Chrome, but since it wasn't my default browser, just loading page to page was horribly slow. I gave up. So back today, read chick-on's post...it was that last right clicky that I was missing! THANK YOU!!!

By the way...this is the Granite Lakes and Upper Gaylor Lake from Gaylor Peak 18 Dec 2011 smiling smiley

Edit: But after initial rejoicing, I realize that I won't be able to still just chime in with my S#!+ load of pictures...only ones from faceybook...

Edit # 2: I wonder why this pic is bigger than the others (?)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 08:33AM by hikerchick395.
December 22, 2011 08:43AM
Awe-sum! I needs to get up dat peak sometime!

Looks like that peekchure site puts a size in the url.

(hit quote on this post... and you should see what I mean)

Your first photo without /s720x720:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381631_207428819343107_100002279706994_469808_658153691_n.jpg

Your second photo with /s720x720:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/408042_208686245884031_100002279706994_472824_1578391672_n.jpg

What is your other faux-toe site? I remember posting a few of your ka-nomes before for you.

December 22, 2011 09:25AM
Gaylor is EZ but it was howling icy cold wind, just on top, this day. My video is probably noisy. A lovely walk is the to peak, down to the middle Gaylor lake, up to upper, then the Great Sierra Mine, across to the upper Granite Lake, stroll down to lower Granite then cut back across to middle Gaylor and back over the ridge. Nice view of Mount Dana from lower Granite.

I have pictures on webshots but I haven't contributed there for years. They are scanned photos (from film.) And my trolls are there. And I may have put up an address from Backpacker.com when I posted a pic there. Otherwise, I don't have pics anywhere except on my computer. A lot. (I have slow dialup so loading pics to another site is slow, sometimes frustratingly so. I have other things to do while on the computer, like read trip reports and view other people's pics. smiling smiley)
December 22, 2011 10:34AM
Okie dokie:
I interpre-tater-tot this:
hikerladie395
Edit: But after initial rejoicing, I realize that I won't be able to still just chime in with my S#!+ load of pictures...only ones from faceybook...
to mean you uploads somewhere's else...

No problem. beep-beep-bop-boop-boop-boop-boop (that's ur dialup talkin)

I run all around that area... touchy all the lakes... just didn't go up that peak. TBD wink

Have fun

December 23, 2011 11:39PM
If I may share a little historical perspective, Gaylor lakes were named for early ranger Andrew "Jack" Gaylor, who died at Merced Lake in April, 1921. His descendants include at least one Wyoming Sheriff and numerous others around Fremont County, Wyoming. The following excerpt is from a website on his life:

Jack Gaylor never returned home to Wyoming after the war and his grown children, who remained in Wyoming, and other relatives in Oklahoma never knew what became of him. His daughter Nora McKinney inquired with the War Department and Red Cross to learn his fate, to no avail. Family tradition also suggests that his son Walter traveled to California after the war to try and locate his father, with no success. They all believed he probably perished during the war or succumbed to some injury or disease in San Francisco after returning from Cuba. He became a "family mystery" and no one knows for sure why he never returned home. They never knew that he later became Asst Chief Park Ranger in Yosemite National Park. He died of a heart attack sitting before his campfire while on a high mountain patrol at the park in 1921, many years after the war, and was buried in the Knights of Pythias section of the Merced, CA cemetery.
December 21, 2011 09:47AM
Great photos. I am so impressed you're still able to hike in Yosemite at this time of year. I've never seen Tioga pass open so late in recent memory. Fantastic!
December 22, 2011 09:36AM
Thanks Ulysses61...have one of Tenaya Lake I'll have to post.

I shouldn't do this here, but here's one from webshots while I'm trying out my newfound edumacation...

Ha, it's leetle itty bitty...shoulda previewed, but hit the wrong button. I knows what I did wrong though...I clicked on the thumbnail, not the full sized pic. (But it appears that the full sized pic is a red X box and won't show up, at least in the preview...oh, well, enough dinking today)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 09:49AM by hikerchick395.
December 22, 2011 10:45AM
You were close...

In the link peekchure... click on 600 box and you get this:

Fish on!

December 23, 2011 08:02AM

Tenaya Lake 18 Dec 2011 The ice was cracking and I was shivering (left my windbreaker and hat in the Subaru...) Still one couple walking on the ice nearby, then a family out with a sled on the east end.
December 23, 2011 07:59PM
Chilly looking landscapes Cheryl. Alot of little Sierra rodents and critters have already died of cold this winter probably like what happened in droughty 1989 when we had almost no precip until January, Without the covering layer of insulating snow, ground temperatures gradually drop much lower day by day, the freezing down deeper and deeper. Down to Mr & Mrs Munks inner chamber.

Likewise shallow lakes where winds have blown off the insulating surface layer of snow will freeze down deeper and deeper. Thus a bad time for winter kill of marginal shallow trout lakes.

And my new skis have been laying on my kitchen floor now for weeks, side my side, boots locked down in the new bindings, abandoned by nature.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
December 24, 2011 10:30AM
I got video of a pika, still gathering grass, up above Olmstead Point. Not a marmot varmint to be seen though...
December 24, 2011 11:38AM
DavidSenesac
... Without the covering layer of insulating snow, ground temperatures gradually drop much lower day by day, the freezing down deeper and deeper. Down to Mr & Mrs Munks inner chamber.

Interesting, I never considered that a base layer of snow would actually insulate the ground underneath it. It seems counter-intuitive to me that snow can act as an insulator. Good stuff.
December 24, 2011 11:40AM
jishaq
DavidSenesac
... Without the covering layer of insulating snow, ground temperatures gradually drop much lower day by day, the freezing down deeper and deeper. Down to Mr & Mrs Munks inner chamber.

Interesting, I never considered that a base layer of snow would actually insulate the ground underneath it. It seems counter-intuitive to me that snow can act as an insulator. Good stuff.

Sort of like an igloo or a snow cave.

Old Dude
December 24, 2011 04:05PM
beautiful pics
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login