Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: First Come First Serve - Last Resort

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

First Come First Serve - Last Resort
April 09, 2012 04:52PM
So my first attempt at getting a campsite slipped through my fingers, so as a last resort my hubby and I are going to try and get a FIRST COME - FIRST SERVE spot, which I am very nervous of...

Does anyone have any advice, tips, times, etc on how to be successful in getting one...? I already read the tips online from nps.gov...but experienced campers advice would be much apprecited! smiling smiley

The dates were planning on going was early early in the morning on Sunday, June 17th and on Monday, June 18th - we're going to try Camp 4 and tuolumne meadow...we're both going to be at each site separatly in the morning - hoping we have better luck....

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
avatar Re: First Come First Serve - Last Resort
April 09, 2012 04:57PM
Have you considered Porcupine Flat or White Wolf?
April 09, 2012 04:59PM
Yea, but they open up July 13th (or so the website said...) are those open in June?
April 09, 2012 05:01PM
[email protected]
Yea, but they open up July 13th (or so the website said...) are those open in June?

Might be too wet to open in June. But you can also try Yosemite Creek or Tamarack.
April 09, 2012 05:04PM
I orginially wanted to got to yosemite creek, but the only ones avaiable during the time I want to go is Camp 4 and tuolumne meadow....is it difficult to get into there on 1st come 1st serve?
April 09, 2012 06:15PM
There are always cancellations so I would try and go to the kiosk in Curry (do they still have that there?). We have always been able to get 1 or 2 nights. Good luck.
April 10, 2012 06:46AM
There is no guarantee Tuolumne will be open those dates, probably, due to low snow year, but you never know. That being said, they don't take ANY reservations until July 15th, so everyday they are open before that, the entire place is FCFS. So it should be easy to get one.
April 10, 2012 10:05AM
In my experience, during the peak times, the line for FCFS starts forming long before sunrise (sometimes the night before as people sleep in line) and can be too long for any hope of getting a site before you know it. I have never tried for Camp 4, but Curry Village and Tuolumne Meadows can be had if you have the time and patience to get there early and post up in line!

Bring your camp chair and a stove and make some coffee for your line mates. It'll make the time go faster.

Good Luck!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
April 10, 2012 11:27AM
THanks for the advice all...I like the idea of posting up the night before...I'm going to do that.

Hopefully lady luck will pass my way that day.. smiling smiley

Thanks & happy camping,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login