Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: My AWESOME time in Yosemite Valley - April 21-22

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar My AWESOME time in Yosemite Valley - April 21-22
April 23, 2012 07:48AM
avatar Re: My AWESOME time in Yosemite Valley - April 21-22
April 23, 2012 08:11AM
I assume there were a few waterfalls as well? (skiing at Squaw Sunday, from 75 Chute Squaw Creek was _loud_)
April 23, 2012 08:41AM
I didn't see any. I hung out in the Twinkie section of the store. In-cre-deeeb-lay

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 23, 2012 08:36AM
Just couldn't tear yourself away from the Village Store now that it has been re-done? Get any interior shot as well? I hear that they have a special corner dedicated to twinkies!
April 23, 2012 08:43AM
No... but... just for you I got this shot:
(and I REALLY should just put a shot of only a benchmarker... but I'm too nice)

Want some?

April 23, 2012 08:52AM
Interesting how the shape of the cut open ravioli kinda replicates the shape of Half Dome in the background...I find your photo to be an existential comparison of modern food culture and nature...

or maybe just a poke at me...wink
April 23, 2012 06:07PM
Bearproof

Me?

(btw... u do get a Golden Chick-on Award... for going up Indian Canyon with your pack)

Wife just shook her head when I told her was going up it again... "well... at least we'll know where to find you".
(that's the abridged version)

You have to go down Basket Gully now...

April 23, 2012 06:28PM
Trying to get him to find your camera?
April 23, 2012 09:18PM
ttilley
Trying to get him to find your camera?
Thinking maybe he wants to reach Platinum status...

April 23, 2012 09:27PM
Ok. My Twinkie Treat:

I almost always stop at Cook's Meadow and take a picture. I think I'll stop here more often.

Sorry, but it just does not get old. It just doesn't. Actually sat here for 15 minutes enjoying... and then it was 3 1/2 hours home
to the Chick-on Ranch just south of San Jose Airport. (why I state this?) (b/c someone said it took that amount to get to BOF entrance...
and I swear I'm usually there in about 3 hrs)

Have a nice day

April 23, 2012 09:34PM
That's a nice spot.

April 24, 2012 11:19AM
ttilley
That's a nice spot.

Nice photo of Mrs. Raven. Was her has husband Jack around too?

Jack and his wife, Janet, have always welcomed me to Valley View for the past six or seven years. (Unfortunately, I think they've become a bit too friendly and enamored with this location because some visitors enviably will feed them some goodies. Everyone, please remember - don't feed the animals, even the cute ravens that go around begging for food.)

April 24, 2012 05:45PM
Nope, just Mrs. Raven. I couldn't believe how long she stayed on that log, just above my head, while I got my camera out and took the picture.
April 24, 2012 07:40PM
ttilley
Nope, just Mrs. Raven. I couldn't believe how long she stayed on that log, just above my head, while I got my camera out and took the picture.

I've seen worse:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yellowstone/sh-pa040070.jpg.html
April 24, 2012 10:05PM
I didn't realize just how much like pigeons they were until last year at Taft Pt.
These two hung around pestering each other and trying to get me to give
them a Twinkie. Dodos...
Birds are very interesting though. It should be obvious they are incredibly smart
(me being a prime example).

On a related note... I wonder out loud how many actually got my humor w/r to the Subject matter.

Damn I miss Len

April 25, 2012 11:48AM
chick-on
Birds are very interesting though. It should be obvious they are incredibly smart

Some are.
April 25, 2012 07:37PM
I'm impressed that bird didn't make the car door bend. I guess that brings up plawrence's request to not feed these birds.
April 25, 2012 09:06PM
ttilley
I'm impressed that bird didn't make the car door bend. I guess that brings up plawrence's request to not feed these birds.

Most of his "bulk" was puffed up feathers due to the cold.
April 25, 2012 12:55PM
Ack, I hate it when you guys reply to threads without quoting them. I guess you are using the threaded view, which if I could eliminate anything from forums, it would be that damn format! How can it NOT be easy to simply view it in linear, chronological order??
April 25, 2012 01:09PM
hotrod4x5
Ack, I hate it when you guys reply to threads without quoting them. I guess you are using the threaded view, which if I could eliminate anything from forums, it would be that damn format! How can it NOT be easy to simply view it in linear, chronological order??

thumbs up
Bowing to his greatness
April 25, 2012 01:21PM
chicagocwright
hotrod4x5

thumbs up
Bowing to his greatness

I love thread view, why would you want to view a thread any other way?

April 25, 2012 01:41PM
Non-thread view shouldn't even be an option. No need to quote somebody... just hit the darn reply button.
And follow the conversation.

I used to think the same thing though... but now I hate forums that are only chronological.
(ok, actually I only fart with this forum) (I gave up on all the other ones)

I do love it when people quote the entire post... and there's a picture inside... and then 20 other
people quote and quote.. and then the same pictures shows up 20 times...

April 25, 2012 03:02PM
chick-on
Non-thread view shouldn't even be an option. No need to quote somebody... just hit the darn reply button.

I used to think the same thing though... but now I hate forums that are only chronological.

I do love it when people quote the entire post... and there's a picture inside... and then 20 other
Yes, the multiple photos is annoying, but I hate having to click, and click and click to see all the new posts in threaded view.
April 25, 2012 03:12PM
Non-threaded mode makes it much easier to see all the new posts since the last visit. You just scroll down to the bottom!
April 25, 2012 03:52PM
hotrod4x5
chick-on

Yes, the multiple photos is annoying, but I hate having to click, and click and click to see all the new posts in threaded view.

I quote you just for you...
Oh My Garsh!

By that I mean... change your
"Message reading display options" to
"Multiple messages per page, threaded"

eeeeeeeek's other forum... Hot Springs defaults to the one msg, threaded... and I looked there once... and never again.
So I understand what you saying... and felt your pain...
Highly recommend the change above... then you don't have to quote...

April 25, 2012 04:21PM
But its' still very hard to find all the new posts using that viewing method. That is what I had originally but switched to the chronological so they would all be at the bottom.

I'm still not fully following the logic of the threaded. Am I supposed to respond to the original question or the post right before mine or what if I am responding to multiple posts? Everyone might have a different answer to those questions so it changes the thread logic. That's why it is easier to just go chrono and it doesn't matter if you hit reply or not.
April 25, 2012 04:29PM
You hit reply to the post you want to reply to.

The little red flag on the thread list is suppose to take you to the location in the thread you haven't read yet...

April 25, 2012 06:55PM
chicagocwright
But its' still very hard to find all the new posts using that viewing method. That is what I had originally but switched to the chronological so they would all be at the bottom.

I'm still not fully following the logic of the threaded. Am I supposed to respond to the original question or the post right before mine or what if I am responding to multiple posts? Everyone might have a different answer to those questions so it changes the thread logic. That's why it is easier to just go chrono and it doesn't matter if you hit reply or not.

I use the quote option so the actual post I'm responding to is shown.

Old Dude
April 25, 2012 09:37PM
I don't. And I didn't send you a PM. Check your email.

April 26, 2012 07:49AM
chicagocwright
But its' still very hard to find all the new posts using that viewing method.

See the button at the upper right corner of the screen?
April 26, 2012 09:05AM
eeek
chicagocwright

"Recent Messages" right?

I see it but I find it cumbersome to use. That takes you to a page of unread posts. I find it easier to use the main screen in chrono order and threads with unread posts are highlighted in red. Then unread posts within those threads have "New" at the top of them. So I can quickly see on the home page all the threads with unread posts and navigate easily. I think the threaded view assumes everyone is going to use the system the same, respond to posts the same, and that is the only way the logic works well. Someone let me know a few weeks ago I was not responding correctly to posts and it was messing their view up. I'm still not completely sure; especially when you want to respond to multiple posts. I like the idea of using "quoting" when responding to a post that is deeper within the thread--and quoting only necessary parts of the post (e.g. deleting pictures, etc.)

Sorry Chick-On for hijacking your thread. By the way, I chuckled at the "Naked" juice sign also.
April 26, 2012 09:37AM
I don't mind. Go crazy.

I am wondering if you can change your abuserid to "CurryPizzaGuy" though?

btw... I used to never hit the "reply" button and Len ( sad smiley ) kept giving me guff.
It finally dawned on me what the heck he was talking about.... why?
Because I had it in chronological order...

April 26, 2012 10:42AM
chicagocwright
eeek
chicagocwright

"Recent Messages" right?

I see it but I find it cumbersome to use. That takes you to a page of unread posts. I find it easier to use the main screen in chrono order and threads with unread posts are highlighted in red. Then unread posts within those threads have "New" at the top of them.

I use threaded view and use the fact that all unread messages have a red new at the end of the subject line to help me quickly go to the next unread post.

What I do on my browser (Google Chrome) using a keyboard shortcut (⌘F on a Mac) is to search for a string that contains the last character of the subject line+a space+new, so as an example for this particular topic thread since the subject line is "My AWESOME time in Yosemite Valley - April 21-22", I would search for the text "2 new".

This will take me directly to the first unread post. Then I use the keyboad shortcut (⌘G on a Mac) to search again for the exact same string, and that will take me to the next unread post. So I just use then the keyboard shortcut (⌘G on a Mac) to search again to go to the remaining unread posts within a thread.

(Note that very occasionally, this method of searching for an unread post will also take you to an already read post whose text within the post matches your search string. But that does not occur too often.)

April 26, 2012 11:16AM
But how is that even remotely as easy as just scrolling to the bottom of the page and all the new posts are posted together instead of scattered throughout the page?
April 26, 2012 11:36AM
Because you then know to whom the person that submitted the new post is replying to. Using your method, you'll see a lot of new posts at the bottom of the page, but you and others then complain about not knowing who was replying to what because some of those new posts don't have quotes of the previous message contained within them. My method avoids that problem.

April 26, 2012 11:51AM
But your method only works when people routinely use the Reply button consistently and we know that isn't the case.
April 26, 2012 11:54AM
It works even on posts where people don't click on the 'Reply' button.
May 07, 2012 06:51PM
Didn't want it here... dangitall!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 06:52PM by chick-on.
April 24, 2012 10:30AM
I'm doing the San Jose Airport to BOF on Aug 16. Will be racing the clock to get our permit before closing (flight lands 11:45). One of the kind fellers here
did say it takes him 3:20 zooming in the wee hours of the AM to get to BOF. Google maps has it at 2:42 for 137 miles.

Randy
April 24, 2012 11:41AM
BigR
I'm doing the San Jose Airport to BOF on Aug 16. Will be racing the clock to get our permit before closing (flight lands 11:45). One of the kind fellers here
did say it takes him 3:20 zooming in the wee hours of the AM to get to BOF. Google maps has it at 2:42 for 137 miles.

Randy

Me feets may weigh more. wink
Seriously, I don't speed in the park though. And there are a number of sections which are 65mph.
And once on the big roads by Manteca... zoom zoom zoom
I just looked and the directions Google Maps gave were 156 miles, 3hr 7 mins.
I aint pulling your leg... I even took a photo once I got home to get the timestamp.

Anywho... w/r to fuel... I think maybe there is Bait Shop in Manteca that may sell gas.
What kind of stove you use? Another option would be... I guess I could throw some
fuel in the bear boxes at the TH close to that date.
If I think of it I'll stop in the Bait Shop this weekend... it's right on 120. Much quicker than any
other option IMO.

April 24, 2012 11:53AM
If you need fuel on the way up to Yosemite, there's a Big 5 in Oakdale right on the main thoroughfare. Also, the coffee shop Mountain Sage in groveland on main street sells hiking gear and maps as well as doing gear rentals.
April 24, 2012 12:02PM
Chick-on, we have Jet Boil stoves and would happy to drop a few twinkies back in the box along with the leftover fuel.grinning smiley We will be taking 120 so if there is a
easy stop that would work as well. I'm hoping for a 12:30 airport depature and a 3:30 total transit time to BOF. Looking for a 6pm trailhead departure
and an 8pm camp set-up at Cathedral Lakes. Long first day but the joy getting into Yosemite will sustain us. Been working on this trip since the boys
were lads and we hope to make it a annual event that grows as the families naturally grow.

Randy
April 24, 2012 04:51PM
Sounds like oak has the answer. (Big5 is open til 9pm) I do wonder if Crane Flat Gas Station also carries fuel.
No way would I rely on the Tuolumne Meadows store being open still when I got there.
Unless those are open very very late. Someone could be a butthead and steal fuel I put in the bear box for you.
But I can still do it just in case everything else goes south.
(I had someone lock a bear box on me... I got it open with a tire iron... and then left them a really nice note)
Give Big5 a call so you can check that worry off your list...

April 24, 2012 11:56AM
BigR
chick-on

Actually sat here for 15 minutes enjoying... and then it was 3 1/2 hours home
to the Chick-on Ranch just south of San Jose Airport. (why I state this?) (b/c someone said it took that amount to get to BOF entrance...
and I swear I'm usually there in about 3 hrs)

Randy

I live about five minutes farther from Yosemite than the San Jose airport. Barring any extended or heavy slow downs – it takes me about 2 hours and 50 minutes (+/- 10 minutes) to reach the Hwy 120 - Big Oak Flat Road Entrance Station averaging within 3 to 7 MPH above the posted speed limit. So the Google estimate in this case I believe is pretty accurate – IF – and it's a pretty big if, you don't encounter any major weekday traffic jams heading over there (most likely to occur on I-580 and I-205) AND you don't get stuck behind too many slow drivers when Hwy 120 becomes just a two-lane rural highway.

One nice thing about Hwy 120 though, is that there are multiple stretches of straightaways on the highway where it's legal and safe to pass the slower moving vehicles if you choose to do so. And to get there in the time estimated by Google, you will probably have to pass these slow drivers, because in all likelihood you'll encounter them multiple times while driving to Yosemite.

(Also to cut off about 5 to 10 minutes in your travel time, be sure to take the Old Priest Grade Road shortcut just as you pass the turnoff to Moccasin. You'll avoid the curviest and slowest stretch of Hwy 120 by doing so.)

Still, you're cutting it real close. Based on what you posted on the other thread, I think you're being far too optimistic about the time it will take for you to leave the San Jose Airport after your plane lands. And the risk of a major slowdown, especially on I-580, is high – even during a weekday early in the afternoon. And one more tip – since you'll be traveling with your sons, to save time at the airport you should go fetch the rental car simultaneously as your sons head over and wait for any checked baggage at the baggage claim carousels.

April 24, 2012 04:47PM
I almost always go 84 too. Sometimes it's quicker... sometimes it's not... but it's ALWAYS a nice
calming section before the insanity. (and it avoids 580/680 nightmare interchange going west/south)

April 24, 2012 05:39PM
Since Caltrans has finally completed the I-580 - Isabel Avenue interchange, I now take Hwy 84 almost exclusively. Based on my estimates, I usually save between three to five minutes taking Hwy 84 than staying on I-580 & I-680 (depending on how many lights I hit on Isabel Avenue (Hwy 84)). But as you say, it's a far more scenic route, especially through Vallecitos Valley, and as you noted, you'll avoid in slowdowns near the I-580/680 interchange.

Still, of the last three times I've gone to Yosemite via I-580 on a weekday afternoon (usually around noontime), two times there's been a freaking accident on Altamont Pass. What's with Altamont pass and accidents? At least the last time I had my GPS on and it warned me about the pending slowdown so I was able go on Altamont Pass Road in time to avoid most of the slowdown.

April 24, 2012 06:21PM
Thanks for the great tips. Google maps sent me on 84 up to I-580 at Isabel Avenue. Is there any advantage of going east of Livermore and joining 580 at Altamont Pass Road (or later east?) We're actually arriving on 2 flights (Raleigh and Miami) with the earlier flight at 11am. So I do plan to have the rental car ready when the 11:45 flight lands and he collects his baggage. Big 5 is a ?? store? Grocery? Outfitter?

Randy
April 24, 2012 06:28PM
The only reason to take Altamont Pass Road would be if some idiot wrecks on 580 over the pass causing traffic to back up into Livermore. KCBS (AM 740) has traffic reports every 10 minutes, there's also this cool website: SigAlert.com SF. Big 5's a basic sporting goods chain, they're not the greatest but as long as they have what you need...

I'm liking the Oakdale Big 5 suggestion (having never had cause to go there myself, so I'm assuming they have what you need, you could call to make sure). Given your landing time, I think being able to get out of the Bay Area Commuter Hell as fast as possible (i.e.: get past Tracy before stopping) would help a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 06:30PM by ttilley.
April 24, 2012 07:16PM
BigR
Thanks for the great tips. Google maps sent me on 84 up to I-580 at Isabel Avenue. Is there any advantage of going east of Livermore and joining 580 at Altamont Pass Road (or later east?) We're actually arriving on 2 flights (Raleigh and Miami) with the earlier flight at 11am. So I do plan to have the rental car ready when the 11:45 flight lands and he collects his baggage. Big 5 is a ?? store? Grocery? Outfitter?

Randy
BigR
I sent you a PM
Old Dude

Old Dude
April 24, 2012 10:44PM
BigR

Randy
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/

Big 5 Sporting Goods
1596 East "F" Street, Oakdale, CA
Tel: 209-847-2537
Daily 10am - 9pm, Saturday 9am - 9pm, Sunday 10am - 7pm

There's a Del Taco and a gas station all right at this location...
dump kid off at Big 5... drive 2 seconds... fill up with gas...
go get kid with fuel... drive thru Del Taco and grab some Tacos...
Done. 10 minutes tops.

I would not doubt that taking 87 SOUTH to 280 (which turns to 680)
would be faster than what you are going to go... out of the airport
you zip right on 87 without any stop lights or anything really...
The interchange I spoke of 580/680 is only bad coming BACK to SJ
so taking 84 is optional and questionable if you will save time.

Worse case scenario... planes are late and all that jazz... I'd have some
sort of worse case scenario plan .... what to do if you don't get into the
park by the time Hetch Hetchy closes... what other options you may like.
Although, to be honest, it seems no one goes there with backup plans.
(drives me completely bonkers waiting for Joe Blow to plan on the
fly... and ask if blah blah blah is nice) (the answer is YES)

Have fun and quit worrying... hahaha
tongue sticking out smiley

April 24, 2012 11:49PM
If you're going to stop anywhere during the trip this would be a good spot. Most anything you might need should be within that 1/4 mile of road or so.
supermarket
subway
burger king
mcdonalds
del taco
jack-in-the-box
taco bell
dennys
big 5
radio shack
supermarket
arco gas station
motels
etc.

This is the last bit of civilization on the way in, and the first on the way out, on 120.
April 25, 2012 12:15AM
chick-on

Nope. There's often a slowdown on I-580 eastbound just east of the I-680 interchange for several miles, simply the result of seven lanes of thru traffic being winnowed down to five (one being an HOV lane).

I used to work in Livermore for a number of years. Did this reverse commute daily. Still travel through the Tri-Valley area often enough to know that this part of I-580 can clog up during any hour of a weekday in either direction.
April 25, 2012 06:39AM
plawrence
chick-on

Nope. There's often a slowdown on I-580 eastbound just east of the I-680 interchange for several miles, simply the result of seven lanes of thru traffic being winnowed down to five (one being an HOV lane).

I used to work in Livermore for a number of years. Did this reverse commute daily. Still travel through the Tri-Valley area often enough to know that this part of I-580 can clog up during any hour of a weekday in either direction.

Reread what you just wrote. You just confirmed what I said.

By bad I mean it's a PITA.

I'm surprised no one has said to stay the heck off of 880.

Pretty much if 84 is backed up he's screwed and is too late.
The last time I left after 2pm... was the last time I ever left after 2pm.
Been thru that hell too many times on a Friday and finally wised up.
Leave by noon... or just do what I do... get ur butt up at 4am and get
out of town by 5 and be hiking by 10am.

Anyway stick a fork in this baby. And wish him well.

May 08, 2012 01:45AM
I thought I did pretty well on Sunday last week. I left Concord at 4pm and was on the Eleanor Lake trailhead by 715pm. That being said, Fridays are rough although if he can be on the road by 1230pm he should be okay.

I'm leaving after I get off work this morning at 5am to head up. I love it, midweek and early...all the traffic is going the opposite way.
April 24, 2012 11:09AM
chick-on

I almost always stop at Cook's Meadow and take a picture. I think I'll stop here more often.

Sorry, but it just does not get old. It just doesn't. Actually sat here for 15 minutes enjoying...

Valley View is almost always a mandatory last stop in Yosemite Valley before I head on home. And I'll snap at least several photos while stopped there though I must have by now at least 1000 photos from the exact same spot. I do appreciate that a couple of years ago the Park Service did trim (or maybe removed) some of the taller pines that were obstructing the view of Half Dome from the Valley View pullout (though I don't know how many other visitors of this scenic vista appreciate that or even notice that one can now, again, view Half Dome from this wonderfully scenic pullout.
April 24, 2012 08:03PM
plawrence
...I do appreciate that a couple of years ago the Park Service did trim (or maybe removed) some of the taller pines that were obstructing the view of Half Dome from the Valley View pullout (though I don't know how many other visitors of this scenic vista appreciate that or even notice that one can now, again, view Half Dome from this wonderfully scenic pullout.

Actually twas right on this board a few years ago before they made the public decision to get rid of those blocking trees that there was a heated thread about how YNP had a right to cut them down. (Not pines but rather I vaguely recall willow?) Ditto for a similar thread for what they did up at Tunnel View where they did saw away some young pines. At first there were a number of predictable posts critical of any cutting. I crafted a point by point post arguing the logic to remove them and there was not much posted after that.

Now my question to chick-on is ...

"WHY haven't you and yer duck buddies yet moved that d!@# LOG !

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 08:04PM by DavidSenesac.
April 24, 2012 08:07PM
Where was Mrs. Raven supposed to pose for me if the log weren't there?
April 24, 2012 10:12PM
Looks about the same to me as in 2006.

The log had more character back then though.

What you got?

April 25, 2012 01:14AM
You really don't notice the difference in the number of evergreen trees in the background between your two photos?

You took your 2006 photo at the far right end (the southend) of the pullout, somewhere near the 1997 flood high water mark sign. That used to be the only location where Half Dome could be viewed at Valley View before the Park Service removed one of the evergreen trees.

Compare those evergreen trees that are just to the left of Half Dome in your 2006 photo with those in your 2012 photo. Don't you notice that a tree is missing in your 2012 photo?

The tall evergreen tree, second from the right, was chopped down.

April 25, 2012 06:43AM
Don't really see the need to have cut it down.
But there's a whole lot of other places with "views" that could use a trimming.

April 25, 2012 07:24AM
Turns out I did take a clicky in March:

April 25, 2012 06:50PM
And here's a photo I took at the end of last month which shows how that one tree being cut now makes Half Dome viewable from the center (and not just from the far edge) of the Valley View turnout.

April 25, 2012 09:39PM
Thank you for starting to put up more pictures. Much appreciated.
Are you sure the tree didn't just fall? (hint: I know it did)

April 25, 2012 10:20PM
Well, it's pretty obvious that it did fall.

The question is, how did it fall? Was it cut down, or did it fall on its own (or nature's) accord?

I don't know the actual answer to the question, but considering how nice it is that the tree isn't there anymore, I presumed that man (the Park Service) probably had an active hand in its demise.

But if you know differently, just say so. No need to be coy. wink

(BTW, the reason I posted some more photos is I just uploaded more digital images from one of my cameras to the computer. Yes, I'm extremely slow in doing that.)
April 26, 2012 09:40AM
I was wondering if it screamed or not. Maybe it didn't bother.

* my name isn't Roy

April 26, 2012 09:59AM
I guess you'll now tell me that the answer is easy if you take it logically – and to just listen to me. wink
April 23, 2012 06:42PM
chick-on
Bearproof

basket gully? have you gone done north dome gully by any chance?
April 23, 2012 09:17PM
ryanmj
chick-on
Bearproof

basket gully? have you gone done north dome gully by any chance?
I just called the gully due east of Basket Dome that.
Here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,29798,29840#msg-29840
Probably you can go down the gully RIGHT next to Basket. I def. want to at
least go down to the base of the dome where the colored shrub is at some
point.. def. do-able from above.

North Dome Gully... I haven't... when I was atop North this past weekend enjoying
my Boy'R'Dee... two climbers came up... and ended up talking to them for
about 1/2 hr. Pretty much they said ND Gully is very scary and you can
easily make a wrong turn. Def. Class 4. Actually was planning on going to
Wash Col. and top of Royal Arch Cascade... guess that would make it easier...
I ended up lazing out and just hanging atop North and Basket for half the day instead.

April 24, 2012 01:19PM
chick-on
. . . snip . . .
North Dome Gully... I haven't... when I was atop North this past weekend enjoying
my Boy'R'Dee... two climbers came up... and ended up talking to them for
about 1/2 hr. Pretty much they said ND Gully is very scary and you can
easily make a wrong turn. Def. Class 4. . . . snip . . .

If you're where you're supposed to be in NDG it's no more that class 2.

If they were in class 4, then they were off trail. It's pretty easy to get off trail and in BIG trouble there.
Climbers will top out on Washington Column and try to go down NDG in the dark. If you've never gone up or down it, and don't know where to go, you can easily get ledged or fall off a cliff in the dark. You can't easily tell in the dark how far east the gully is before you head down, and it's sheer cliffs below you on the way to the gully. Once you're out of the gully and on the slabs below you have to lateral to the west, again with cliffs below you. If you miss either of these because you can't see them in the dark, you're in trouble.
There's been quite a few SAR activities there, and a few deaths also.
April 24, 2012 04:44PM
Thanks. I was a bit surprised by what they said. Typically people will just say
"piece of cake". Def. not to be taken lightly though.... it's one spot where rangers
will NOT knock over cairns... b/c it's what you said... you have to turn at
certain spots.
Anything I say is just what I have heard... since I hope I've made it clear I haven't gone up or down it.
Thx

April 24, 2012 05:18PM
chick-on

At least now I know to bring my son's soccer shin guards for protection!
April 23, 2012 10:17AM
Now you've got me wondering what does the interior of the remodeled store look like? confused smiley

I read where they spent a lot of $ on it, does it look any different inside?

Have the Hostess treats been given their own shelf (and not just flung all hurly-burly
onto a wire rack at the end of the booze aisle like before)? eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 10:25AM by PineCone.
April 23, 2012 11:06AM
It's awesome. They have about 6 tons of Hostess Products in there now... didn't even make it to the Booze.

April 23, 2012 05:01PM
PineCone
Now you've got me wondering what does the interior of the remodeled store look like? confused smiley

I read where they spent a lot of $ on it, does it look any different inside?

Here's a photo inside the Village Store of the ribbon cutting ceremony:

More can be read about the remodeling here:

YosemitePark.Com: Village Store Eco-Remodel Celebration

April 23, 2012 06:09PM
Somebody photoshop Twinkies in those kids hands! What they gave them will scar them for life.

p.s. If I was taking the picture I would say "um... can we cover up the 'Naked' ?"

April 23, 2012 06:33PM
chick-on
Somebody photoshop Twinkies in those kids hands! What they gave them will scar them for life."

Awww man, you beat me to that sentiment! winking smiley No wonder Hostess Brands is in danger of bankruptcy!
Someone introduce these kids to the joys of a Twinkie or Ding-Dong!

Myself, there is nothing like a Hostess fruit pie with my single malt scotch around the campfire
at night while camping in the Valley! grinning smiley

plawrence, thank you for the link, sounds like a nice remodel, although after shopping here for
the better part of 20 years, it also sounds like I'll have to get used to the new layout. Vegetables in
the front of the store, what's the world coming to?! Shouldn't this all have been part of the Merced
River Plan, where was the public input on moving vegetables to the front of the store?! confused smiley
April 23, 2012 06:43PM
Most of the stuff in the picture seems to be edibles, I'm guessing the Twinkee section was moved elsewhere.
April 23, 2012 08:35PM
The store has a much more opened look now but I found the color choices odd. I was impressed with the organic fruits and veggies but I have to admit that I did not look at the prices and wonder how they are. I couldn't find the twinkie section. confused smiley Actually, I had a hard time finding other things but will get used to the setup eventually.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 08:38PM by parklover.
May 07, 2012 06:52PM
Had another awesome time. Stopped by here but I heard the Pizza was pretty bad so didn't try it.

May 07, 2012 08:05PM
chick-on
Had another awesome time. Stopped by here but I heard the Pizza was pretty bad so didn't try it.

--- picture of Curry Pizza Deck ---

So, where did you end up going for pizza?
May 07, 2012 10:00PM
ttilley
So, where did you end up going for pizza?
Of course I had the Ravioli at Inspiration Deli.
And dinner later at Hill's Bistro.

nom nom nom

May 07, 2012 08:40PM
chick-on

this is the place im looking forward to visiting the most on my next trip to yosemite, this and the establishment directly to the right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 08:40PM by ryanmj.
May 07, 2012 10:04PM
chick-on

Scary face
May 07, 2012 10:05PM
chick-on

Bowing to his greatness
May 07, 2012 10:08PM
It's nice when the person I put something up for sees it.

(btw... although I do give the nod to Degnan's I'll eat Curry Pizza any day of the week)
(i.e. it was directed such a way as to get a argh! from CurraPizzaGuy)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login