Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Manly topic #117: camp stoves. Opinions desired.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Manly topic #117: camp stoves. Opinions desired.
April 24, 2012 01:37PM
We're making an effort this year to camp/car-camp a LOT more than last year, so we'll be camping in USFS/BLM campgrounds, especially on the East Side around Whitney, Horseshoe Meadows, Onion Valley, Lee Vining Canyon, etc....

After taking stock of all the things we have/need for a comfortable base camp (things one wouldn't take upcountry when backpacking, like ridiculously huge tent, big aluminum framed cots, etc....) I realized that the only cooking gear I have is for backpacking, not camping per se, like JetBoil stuff.

After having owned Coleman's, I'm thinking about this one in particular: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00367PAO0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Seems great for breakfasts, easily frying fish/steaks, etc.. This will not be a stove that will travel more than 100' from a parked Jeep.

Anyone have any experience with this or the other higher-end Colemans or other brands? If so, how was it?
avatar Re: Manly topic #117: camp stoves. Opinions desired.
April 24, 2012 02:36PM
Don't have experience with the Coleman, but I and others have had very good luck with Weber's Q portable gas griills.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/gas-portable/weber-q-120-1

They heat up nicely and grill very predictably. They use a Porcelain-enameled cast-iron grate which to me is a nice plus. And they can use the larger, more economical 20lb propane tanks with an adapter (the adapter sold separately).

You can also purchase a couple of wheeled stands to roll them around if you like:

April 24, 2012 02:39PM
plawrence
Don't have experience with the Coleman, but I and others have had very good luck with Weber's Q portable gas griills.

They heat up nicely and grill very predictably. They use a Porcelain-enameled cast-iron grate which to me is a nice plus. And they can use the larger, more economical 20lb propane tanks with an adapter (the adapter sold separately).

You can also purchase a couple of wheeled stands to roll them around if you like:

Of COURSE! Weber! Why didn't I think of them?

This bears futher study. Thanks!
April 25, 2012 03:41PM
plawrence

I have one of these. It's very easy to grill with.
April 25, 2012 04:51PM
My stoves will be one of the following, depending on the nature of the campsite (eg. full service with tables and BBQ's vs BLM camping out in the middle of nowhere):
-old school coleman as shown above
-new school campchef mountain series stove (mine has the two burners with a grill in between...you can only grill one burger at a time...it has held up well but in general I would say that its not as well built as the old school Coleman
-Weber Gas Go-Anywhere grill (I actually use this more for football tailgaters)
-Charcoal briquests on aluminum foil on the ground, with a cheapo self standing grate to cook on
You also HAVE to have a Dutch Oven for some tasty baked goods! Lodge makes the best.

You didn't ask, but I also like the Kelty Basecamp table setup...they have a variety of them, and other makers do as well....provides a nice kitchen counter, so to speak, for cooking and cleaning. Especially nice for the BLM "out on the middle of nowhere"car camping.
April 25, 2012 05:04PM
Talking about oldies-but-goodies, and about one that could easily fit inside of the bear-resistent food lockers, there's the good ol' Hibachi grill, still available on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Marsh Allen 10x18" Cast Iron Hibachi Grill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 06:52PM by plawrence.
April 24, 2012 05:06PM
this one is great but its heavy, nice to set up at a week long camp spot
April 24, 2012 06:17PM
This is my little buddy:
Weber 1520 Propane Gas Go-Anywhere Grill
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1520-Propane-Go-Anywhere-Grill/dp/B00004RALK
$60 including shipping.
Small enough to fit in any bear locker.

April 25, 2012 08:14AM
QITNL
This is my little buddy:
$60 including shipping.

I use this one too. Compact, light, and does the job. It's basically a propane barbecue so it's not too good for boiling water or using a frying pan on.
April 25, 2012 08:56AM
QITNL
This is my little buddy:
$60 including shipping.

Ah, excellent point, and one that I had overlooked.

I could spend most of the day fishing somewhere, cook up a mess of fish, but then what do I do w/a big rig that I can't put in my vehicle if it won't fit a bear locker.

This changes what I'm looking for.
April 25, 2012 09:58AM
I see several comments about putting the grill in the bear box. If you're concerned about someone stealing it from your
site while you're gone all day, that's one thing (although I've never had a grill stolen either for that matter).
If you're thinking a bear might be attracted to it, that should not be a concern. I've never had any problem with a bear or
raccoon showing any interest in a grill left out, never had one disturbed in the better part of 20 years camping in the Valley,
and while I always clean the grill when finished using it, I'm sure there are some interesting odors left in the grill of salmon,
steaks, sausages, etc.
I think their sniffers are sophisticated enough to distinguish actual food from nothing-in-there-for me!Bear Head
April 25, 2012 02:01PM
PineCone
I see several comments about putting the grill in the bear box. If you're concerned about someone stealing it from your
site while you're gone all day, that's one thing (although I've never had a grill stolen either for that matter).
If you're thinking a bear might be attracted to it, that should not be a concern. I've never had any problem with a bear or
raccoon showing any interest in a grill left out, never had one disturbed in the better part of 20 years camping in the Valley,
and while I always clean the grill when finished using it, I'm sure there are some interesting odors left in the grill of salmon,
steaks, sausages, etc.
I think their sniffers are sophisticated enough to distinguish actual food from nothing-in-there-for me!Bear Head

No, I'm not in the least concerned about someone nicking the grill; it's more the bears.

Given the amount of damage that bears do to cars just going for aromatics like soap/perfume, I'm not willing to risk damage to the vehicle based on a bear's purported ability to differentiate between what's food and what's not (and what's no longer there except in trace amounts).

I don't trust bears.
April 25, 2012 03:36PM
One more tip - if you are burning propane, this little gadget can save you a fortune:
http://maccoupler.com/
April 25, 2012 08:04PM
QITNL
One more tip - if you are burning propane, this little gadget can save you a fortune:

Last I heard that wasn't exactly legal.
April 25, 2012 08:18PM
eeek
QITNL

I'm pretty sure it's legal. But, I've had trouble using the odorized gas in the propane tanks clogging up my propane torches. If you fill the little tank from the big one, as in the picture, then I wouldn't use it for something with a small orifice like a small propane torch. Should be no problem with a stove.
April 25, 2012 08:33PM
Dave
eeek
QITNL

I'm pretty sure it's legal. But, I've had trouble using the odorized gas in the propane tanks clogging up my propane torches. If you fill the little tank from the big one, as in the picture, then I wouldn't use it for something with a small orifice like a small propane torch. Should be no problem with a stove.

Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled – penalty up to $500,000 fine and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124)
April 25, 2012 10:16PM
eeek
Dave
eeek
QITNL

Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled – penalty up to $500,000 fine and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124)

How often is the law enforced? And what they heck does "transportation" mean?

49 U.S.C. 5124 describes the penalty for tampering with hazardous material package.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/5124
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/5104

It's technically not illegal to refill a cylinder. It becomes illegal if placed in a motor vehicle or other method of transportation.

I understand that some people fill them up so that they can use them in their backyards with one of those small stoves or for other household use. It's actually not illegal.
April 25, 2012 11:29PM
Oh crap, I think I'm looking at $117,500,000 and 1175 years in the slammer.

"But your honor, the thread clearly read 'Manly topic'!"

Perhaps I should stick to legal means of disposal:

Now that's what I call a grill.
April 26, 2012 07:59AM
QITNL
This is my little buddy:
$60 including shipping.

I've used that grill for the last decade and a half. Before I bought a house it was my primary grill at my apartment. It's always worked like a champ. Although, as someone else noted, it's not great for just boiling water...
April 26, 2012 08:43AM
oakroscoe

I've used that grill for the last decade and a half. Before I bought a house it was my primary grill at my apartment. It's always worked like a champ. Although, as someone else noted, it's not great for just boiling water...

Of course not. No grill is very good for boiling water. They simply leak too much heat to be good for anything like that. You need a stove for that, since a stove is better at concentrating heat in a specific place.

The original topic seems a bit odd. The topic was supposedly stoves, but most of what has been mentioned are grills.

I have a little portable gas grill that I bought for $20. I guess I could boil water with a pot or kettle, but it's rather lousy for the job. Now I have seen coffee pots over an open wood fire, but I think that was more for show than anything else.
April 26, 2012 09:42AM
When I didn't feel like carrying a stove, or I ran out of fuel, I've boiled water on an open fire a few times. As long as you don't mind your pot getting blackened, it's not a big deal.
April 26, 2012 07:31PM
I've only done that once, when my stove malfunctioned...soaping the bottom of the pan before using it over a fire really does work to prevent blackening.
April 26, 2012 09:33PM
oakroscoe
When I didn't feel like carrying a stove, or I ran out of fuel, I've boiled water on an open fire a few times. As long as you don't mind your pot getting blackened, it's not a big deal.

It's probably not a big issue with inefficiency if you're out in the backcountry and can find enough downed wood to just toss more wood on the fire. However, if it's a gas grill then you're paying for the fuel.

I mentioned where I saw coffee pots over an open flame. It was at the Roosevelt Old West Cookout in Yellowstone. Here's someone else's photo of the coffee. It was "cowboy coffee" and it did get rather chunky with little bits of coffee grounds in my cup. I think the whole setup was for show since they set it up carefully balanced with the horseshoe mounted on the top.

April 24, 2012 06:20PM
I've heard good things about the Weber-Q. We used a Weber Smokey Joe (the small size) charcoal kettle grill for dinners
until about 5 years ago. While staying in Upper Pines in the Fall, an older German couple on their dream retirement vacation
thru the American West for a few weeks (and driving a large rental RV) left behind a full-sized Kingsford charcoal kettle grill
that they had bought here and used for those 2 weeks, before departing Yosemite to fly home. It was still like new! Now,
every year we disassemble that baby for the the trip, and then reassemble it when we arrive for our two week stay in the
Valley! smiling smiley
Works great, and it was free! I've seen a number of other folks with full-sized kettle grills in the campgrounds as well.
For breakfast (coffee, eggs, pancakes, fried Twinkies grinning smiley etc.) I still rely on my early-1960s trusty Coleman model 413F
liquid fuel camp stove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 06:23PM by PineCone.
April 24, 2012 06:32PM
I'll stick with my Svea.
April 25, 2012 06:44AM
April 25, 2012 08:08AM
Good Topic!

Stick with the basic Coleman Stove!!!!

I wish I had a picture of my beat-up, green Coleman camp stove. It's vintage 1980's and has a nice crust of meals past that have been burnt into its inner skin. Some call it gross, I call it seasoned. The stove has been through hell and fires up every time. Never a repair!

Everyone on this forum has probably owned at least one of these in their lives. I've had two. I still have the old 1970's, white gas version that my dad used with the pump to pressurize the tank. It still works, and I can still get parts for it.

Between that and my little Weber charcoal kettle, I've never needed anything else. Creature of habit, I guess. Don't fix it if it ain't broke...lol

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
April 25, 2012 10:09AM
Jayabrams
Good Topic!

Stick with the basic Coleman Stove!!!!

I wish I had a picture of my beat-up, green Coleman camp stove. It's vintage 1980's and has a nice crust of meals past that have been burnt into its inner skin. Some call it gross, I call it seasoned. The stove has been through hell and fires up every time. Never a repair!

Everyone on this forum has probably owned at least one of these in their lives. I've had two. I still have the old 1970's, white gas version that my dad used with the pump to pressurize the tank. It still works, and I can still get parts for it.

Between that and my little Weber charcoal kettle, I've never needed anything else. Creature of habit, I guess. Don't fix it if it ain't broke...lol

We're like-minded souls! thumbs up winking smiley

I will say that the Coleman stoves made years ago in the good ol' USA were made better than the current (flimsier) models made overseas.
I had one I bought new in 1995 that gave me a lot of problems with lighting and maintaining pressure. I then bought an early 1960s model
'new old stock' on eBay, and it has worked like a champ for years now. Heavier steel, better quality parts on the earlier models IMHO.
Here is a photo of the model I have, a 413F, it has that cool retro torpedo-shaped tank as well!
April 25, 2012 06:06PM
I'm still using my coleman white gas pump stove that I bought at a divorce garage sale in 1980 and it was at least 20 years old then. Works great so I still use it. My weber smokey joe usually comes along too. They keep working so I keep using them. .I'm older so maybe I just like old stuff. Those newfangled things are shiny but I don't need them....yet.
April 25, 2012 06:00PM
We still use the white gas Coleman that we got as a wedding gift in 1988. At times we had thought of upgrading with a non white gas one but it is in such good shape and everything is original on it so we will keep using it until it croaks. Why mess with perfection.
April 26, 2012 11:54PM
parklover
We still use the white gas Coleman that we got as a wedding gift in 1988. At times we had thought of upgrading with a non white gas one but it is in such good shape and everything is original on it so we will keep using it until it croaks. Why mess with perfection.

Coleman gear was designed to be rebuilt with relatively standard parts. I have purchased a number of 2-burner stoves and overhauled the generator tube that runs from the tank, through the right-hand burner flame and back underneath to the burners. I am currently working on an early-50's deluxe model with a towel drying rack and adjustable legs and hope to have it functioning well soon.
May 01, 2012 12:29PM
tanngrisnir3
We're making an effort this year to camp/car-camp a LOT more than last year, so we'll be camping in USFS/BLM campgrounds, especially on the East Side around Whitney, Horseshoe Meadows, Onion Valley, Lee Vining Canyon, etc....

After taking stock of all the things we have/need for a comfortable base camp (things one wouldn't take upcountry when backpacking, like ridiculously huge tent, big aluminum framed cots, etc....) I realized that the only cooking gear I have is for backpacking, not camping per se, like JetBoil stuff.

After having owned Coleman's, I'm thinking about this one in particular: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00367PAO0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Seems great for breakfasts, easily frying fish/steaks, etc.. This will not be a stove that will travel more than 100' from a parked Jeep.

Anyone have any experience with this or the other higher-end Colemans or other brands? If so, how was it?

Well, if anyone's interested, I ordered one, but it's this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-PerfectFlow-Insta-Start-Grill/dp/B000BPEE4M/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1335898062&sr=1-5

I figured I could use the difference on manly accessories like full griddle for bacon, cool-looking attachable lamp, etc....

I'll report back after the weekend with results.
May 01, 2012 02:51PM
Looks like a good choice(the Coleman Perfect Flow insant start grill) (the one you ordered). It has the grill, and a burner for boiling water/making soup, etc. And its small enough to go into a bear box. Like the side flaps for wind protection so your flames don't blow out.
May 01, 2012 05:39PM
May 05, 2012 10:11AM
Haha. No one can haul that around.

Any recommendations for a compact/portable stove during your search?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login