Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Does anyone know where this picture was taken?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Does anyone know where this picture was taken?
April 25, 2012 05:41AM
Ansel states that is along the Merced River. The photo was taken in the morning, so it has to be on the right hand side of the river looking down stream and on the north. If you have them GPS coords would be most helpful.

April 25, 2012 06:36AM
That tree on the right is probably 4 times that height now. And erosion might have taken away the oak.
April 25, 2012 06:51AM
Sadly, Ansel's oak has been gone for a few years now. Of the famous pictures of Yosemite trees that he took, only one is left - the Elm that is in Cook's Meadow. The Cook's meadow tree has been misidentified by numerous professional photographers as a Oak or Cottonwood. We laughingly refer to it as a Elmoakwood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 06:57AM by parklover.
avatar Re: Does anyone know where this picture was taken?
April 25, 2012 02:43PM
According to a park historian, there use to be a row of elm trees at that location which were placed along an old, no longer existing, valley road. That's the last remaining elm of that row.

April 25, 2012 04:02PM
plawrence
According to a park historian, there use to be a row of elm trees at that location which were placed along an old, no longer existing, valley road. That's the last remaining elm of that row.

I never heard that tidbit of info before. I have always wondered why there is only that one elm there. Thanks.
April 26, 2012 01:01AM
plawrence

I believe if you consult a number of old photographs of Cook's Meadow, you will see that a road ran from the north side of Sentinel Bridge, across the meadow and connecting with the north road about where another road leads into the NPS residential area. I believe that road was taken out about 1943, and just might be mentioned in Dr. Russell's "100 Years."
April 26, 2012 11:20AM
Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login