Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Camping in Tuolumne Meadows in Early-Mid June?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping in Tuolumne Meadows in Early-Mid June?
April 30, 2012 08:19PM
This is probably a very silly question, so I apologize in advance.
As I understand the information on the park's service website, the Toulumne Meadows backpackers' camp ground will open up in Early-Mid July. Is there anywhere to camp near Toulumne Meadows in Early-Mid June (around June 10th)?

Thank you!
April 30, 2012 09:38PM
With the early opening this year of the road, the main TM campground may indeed be open by mid June. It will be 100% first come first served until July 15th.
May 01, 2012 09:27AM
Actually, the park's Facebook page says that if (and when) the Tuolumne campground opens early this year, it will be placed half on reservations, half remaining first-come first serve.
May 01, 2012 12:45PM
yoser
Actually, the park's Facebook page says that if (and when) the Tuolumne campground opens early this year, it will be placed half on reservations, half remaining first-come first serve.
That is contradictory to what the ranger in TM told me last year. She said that reservations aren't accepted until July 15th. (meaning camping dates on the 15th and later, which are likely already all booked)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 12:45PM by hotrod4x5.
May 01, 2012 01:20PM
This is a year unlike most others with early openings possible and likely. In past year's, when the campground is able to open a week or so before the reservation period, they will just leave it on a first-come, first-serve basis. But this year, when it is highly probably that the campground will open maybe a month or more before the predicted reservation period, they will definitely put half of it on the reservation system. Call the park's campground manager for confirmation: 209-372-0200...then follow the prompts for campground manager's office....
May 01, 2012 01:21PM
Also, if you notice, the reservation period this year started on July 13, not the 15....It differs year by year depending on how the weekends may fall...
avatar Re: Camping in Tuolumne Meadows in Early-Mid June?
May 01, 2012 07:33AM
Maybe tell more of what your plans are and maybe people will give more options.
Like "I have a backpacking permit and I need to stay overnight the day before
because it's too far to drive.. yadda yadda yadda".
A number of the other campgrounds along 120 will probably be open by then.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 01, 2012 12:46PM
wwweb
This is probably a very silly question, so I apologize in advance.
As I understand the information on the park's service website, the Toulumne Meadows backpackers' camp ground will open up in Early-Mid July. Is there anywhere to camp near Toulumne Meadows in Early-Mid June (around June 10th)?

Thank you!

Keep in mind (but don't let it dissuade you) that it may be a mosquitofest of blood bank proportions at that time.
May 05, 2012 10:12AM
We went once during this time, but the grounds were still very wet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login