Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Eastern Yosemite in 3D

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 03, 2012 07:30PM
Here's the 2nd of the shots from the air. Again it works pretty well but not perfect. With such an oblique angle you have to refocus your eyes as you scan from bottom to top. It sure does make the peaks obvious though. It has a very good view of the area we were just talking about from 10450 to Tenaya Peak.

All 3D images are now available here:

http://panoramas.aa6g.org/Anaglyphs/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 05:19PM by Calaveras.
avatar Re: Eastern Yosemite in 3D
May 03, 2012 08:11PM
Note to self: Get some of those goofy glasses!

+1 zillion

I can plainly see Falls Ridge with normal eyeballs.

Cool!

(request: a) more b) in non-3d too)
PLEASE

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 03, 2012 08:51PM
chick-on

Note to self: Get some of those goofy glasses!

I bought these on Amazon for $5 plus free shipping (and they're now being sold for under $3 with free shipping):

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036NP3CS

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 07:19PM by plawrence.
May 03, 2012 08:38PM
Thank you very much for posting these cool 3D photos of Half Dome and Yosemite. They're pretty neat.

I've been viewing them just on my computer monitor, and what helps me to lock into the 3D effect (using 3D glasses) is to slowly scroll the 3D image up & down on my computer monitor while viewing the image.
May 04, 2012 11:09AM
Great effect at that angle. Pretty useful to get an idea of the terrain. Like a 3D topo map.
May 05, 2012 09:48AM
That is awesome. Had my movie 3D glasses and they work great. How did you make that?
May 05, 2012 10:13PM
It is also 3D in person fyi.
May 06, 2012 07:03PM
DanPJ
It is also 3D in person fyi.

I noticed that last week.
May 06, 2012 10:13PM
A 4D would be more impressive.
May 06, 2012 09:19AM
I use Anamaker for 3D pics, it's free:

Anamaker: Free 3-D Imaging Software

Tip: don't separate the two frames by too much of a distance or the edges won't match up very well (as you can see with the plane shots above), limit it to between the distance between objectives of binoculars. Also, I haven't tried this, but you could use a video screencap such as Image Grab (also free) to nab two consecutive frames of a video (such as from a moving car) and maybe make a 3D pic from that.
May 06, 2012 02:38PM
In regards to the last couple of comments......

These anaglyphs create an exaggerated 3D stereoscopic effect. Our stereo vision only works out to about 20-30 feet in the real world. Beyond that our brains use other cues to determine distance like what's blocking something else, relative size of familiar objects, and how hazy something looks. Everyone has had the experience of how close distant objects look on a very clear day. This was a real problem for astronauts on the moon. With no atmosphere, it was impossible for them to determine how far away something was.

As far as making anaglyphs goes, you need a very large distance between the photos to get the 3D effect. Eye spacing is fine if you're only photographing something 10 feet away but useless if it's miles away. In order to get the effect to work from a plane the images will need to be thousands of feet apart. More than a decade ago when I was receiving NOAA polar orbiting weather satellites I made a bunch of anaglyphs with those images. The satellite passes needed to be a couple hundred miles apart to get a decent 3D effect. One example:

http://images.aa6g.org/YosemiteForums/noaa12_14pair.jpg

It really was just luck that there were two pairs of images that worked pretty well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login