Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Favorite Food tips

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 14, 2012 10:25AM
Now that we've had the very lively and informative discussion on water filters (thank you), I'm working our meal planning and packing for
our August loop of the high Sierra.

We're a party of three tall fit guys (51, 25, and 23 yo) and will be doing 8-12 miles daily.

Any tip, tricks, suggestions for our meals? We have a bear vault 5000 and will carry
jet boil stoves.

We'll have to camp cook 4 nights,

Was thinking oatmael for b'fast and trail mix for lunch. Dinner has me puzzled a bit.

All suggestions welcomed.

Randy
May 14, 2012 11:28AM
Backpacker magazine and their newsletter always has great backpacking dinner recipes. You can go to www.backpacker.com and see newletters there and also sign up to get the newsletter emailed to you. You can also go to that website and type in recipes in their search area and there are all kinds of things there.
May 14, 2012 12:14PM
Peanut butter and verious hard(er) cheeses are two all time great staples.
May 14, 2012 12:21PM
I buy most of my freeze dried stuff from here:
http://www.wildernessdining.com/

And with all freeze dried, a little extra flavor that you add makes it better. Not sauce and dried onions go a long ways...

Also, you may have to eat a lot of trail mix to get the calories you need. At 8-12 miles a day you will probably be burning at least 4000 calories a day.
May 14, 2012 04:22PM
Fresh Venison. kidding. I've had some pretty good freeze dried back packer's meals. Light, nutritious (they claim) and they fill you up.
May 14, 2012 04:27PM
Lots of gunk on this topic here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,49060,49171#msg-49171

<insert Twinkie emoticons-e-thing-ie here>

Of course you can simply:
- Fill Bear Can with Twinkies, Fruit Pies, HoHos, Ding Dongs, etc.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 14, 2012 10:18PM
Haha, I feel sick just thinking of that. Maybe just fill it with bird seeds?
May 14, 2012 11:06PM
lizzy79
Haha, I feel sick just thinking of that. Maybe just fill it with bird seeds?

I remember coming across a pile of garbage in the backcountry. I think a large group just left their garbage out and the bears just rummages through it even though there was little food in there. There were assorted junk food wrappers, Doritos bags, etc. I was looking at this and comparing it to what I'd packed, and I was thinking if maybe I had the wrong idea.

I did in act pack way too much for one person. I was worried about running out of food and thought maybe I could trade stuff. I mentioned tortillas, and frankly I put them at the bottom of my BearVault and never dug them out until after my trip was over. I had those Lipton-Knorr sides where I'd punched small holes, let out the air, then closed them with tape. I remember breakfast for me included little cups of peanut butter. Peanut butter is calorie dense and fairly compact.

Of course one needs beverages - especially hot beverages. I'd pack a nice variety including hot cocoa, coffee, tea, and maybe spiced apple-flavored cider. You could just drink water, but it gets boring.
May 15, 2012 10:24AM
Too funny. We will leave homage to the great web-cam hamming Chick-on and clues to the cache during our travels....
Even if you find then in 2013, I'm sure they'll still be fresh.

Randy
May 16, 2012 07:14AM
Let me show you how to properly pack your bear can:

Any other questions?

May 16, 2012 01:18PM
chick-on

Any other questions?

Yes, what are those pink ones on the top left of the bear can called again? (I know the round pink-frosted ones covered in coconut are Snowballs...) grinning smiley
What a beautiful photo, thanks for sharing!

"Of course you can simply:
- Fill Bear Can with Twinkies, Fruit Pies, HoHos, Ding Dongs, etc."
May 16, 2012 01:37PM
PineCone
chick-on

Any other questions?

Yes, what are those pink ones on the top left of the bear can called again? (I know the round pink-frosted ones covered in coconut are Snowballs...) grinning smiley

I think those are Hostess (formely Dolly Madison) Zingers.
May 16, 2012 05:01PM
y_p_w
PineCone
chick-on

Any other questions?

I think those are Hostess (formely Dolly Madison) Zingers.

Hmm...Zingers...those were sort of like the bastard child of a Twinkie and a Hostess Raspberry pie. tongue sticking out smiley
May 18, 2012 08:57PM
chick-on

Any other questions?

May 14, 2012 04:43PM
Do they make a Twinkie-flavored Pasta Roni?
May 14, 2012 04:57PM
My favorite, macaroni and cheese. Get the kind with the "cheese" in a foil pouch. Dump the dry macaroni into a large ziploc bag along with the "cheese." At camp boil the macaroni (not in the bag), drain, place the cooked mac back in the bag, add the "cheese," close the bag and knead for a bit. Eat right out of the bag then use the bag to pack out garbage. Nothing to clean except a spoon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 05:00PM by Dave.
May 14, 2012 05:26PM
hey bigr, if you're really packing a bearvault 5000, you won't have trouble fitting your food wink howver, if you only have a bearvault 500, you may be challenged to get 4 days of food for 3 adults in there. my 18yr old boy and i need every cubic inch of our bv450 and bv500 for 5 days. we used freeze dried breakfasts/dinners exclusively with clif bars for snacks/lunches -- one thing that helps is repackaging your freeze dried meals in 1qt freezer ziplock baggies. packing them this way is a much more efficient use of the limited space and yes, they can handle the boiling water.

good luck and happy dining!
mtc
May 22, 2012 11:48AM
mtc
we used freeze dried breakfasts/dinners exclusively with clif bars for snacks/lunches -- one thing that helps is repackaging your freeze dried meals in 1qt freezer ziplock baggies. packing them this way is a much more efficient use of the limited space and yes, they can handle the boiling water.

I pack very similarly because I'm super lazy, and getting all my gear together for a trip is a pain enough as it is. Great idea about repackaging the freeze-dried foods ... the corners on those damned foil bags are such a PITA when you're trying to squish them into a bear can. I'll try this for a trip to Ediza Lake this weekend.

I've got a little BV 450 and I manage always to have too much stuff the first night or two. I end up doing creative things with my chapstick, flask, cheese-encrusted pocket knife, and extra 'just in case' Mountain Home pack, before I turn in for the night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 11:48AM by jishaq.
May 14, 2012 06:44PM
Food preferences are personal--some people (and birds) can survive on Twinkies, I am partial to most Mountain House fare, others will have nothing other than their own homemade cuisine... Just make sure you bring something that you generally like, since sometimes altitude kills your appetite. If trying something new, a taste test may not be a bad idea--on more than a few occasions, some friends' experimental meals didn't turn out well, a downnote to an otherwise great trip.

A few general things:

1) One JetBoil and one 8 oz. can of fuel should be fine for your trip, especially if you are just boiling water and rehydrating food. If you are paranoid, pack a second 4 oz can or a half-full can from a previous trip.

2) Be sure to test-pack all your food and smelly toiletries in the canister before you hit the trail. You don't have to put in the first night's dinner--as long as you are committed to eating it all before nightfall.

3) Repackage and/or remove all air from packaging (a pin hole in a Clif bar wrapper helps a lot...) to be able to squeeze more into your canister.

4) Dehydrated or freeze-dried will be your best bet in terms of space and weight efficiency, but remember that first night's meal can be special.

5) It is an unsolved mystery why it is impossible to clean off the cheese from the Mountain House lasagna from your spoon. The spaghetti offers the same flavor without the cheese issue...

6) Enjoy your trip!
May 14, 2012 06:54PM
On item 2...be sure there's at least a little room for the garbage from day one's dinner!

I mentioned this on some other thread related to this topic, but I've liked the offerings at Packit Gourmet. I also take Mountain House stuff (not the "Lasagna", though its interesting to know they still haven't removed the plastic substances from that product!), and Mary Jane's shepherd's pie (I want meat and most of that's veggie, and I greatly prefer Packit's chili over Mary Jane's). I've been happy with some of Packit's breakfast offerings as well.

Starbuck's "Via" is quite nice for backpacking coffee. I don't generally buy their stuff for home (I buy beans from a local roaster), but I've tended to get sick of various backpacking coffee options and that problem hasn't come up with Via.
May 14, 2012 08:54PM
ttilley
On item 2...be sure there's at least a little room for the garbage from day one's dinner!

I mentioned this on some other thread related to this topic, but I've liked the offerings at Packit Gourmet. I also take Mountain House stuff (not the "Lasagna", though its interesting to know they still haven't removed the plastic substances from that product!), and Mary Jane's shepherd's pie (I want meat and most of that's veggie, and I greatly prefer Packit's chili over Mary Jane's). I've been happy with some of Packit's breakfast offerings as well.

Starbuck's "Via" is quite nice for backpacking coffee. I don't generally buy their stuff for home (I buy beans from a local roaster), but I've tended to get sick of various backpacking coffee options and that problem hasn't come up with Via.

I've had no problem with Taster's Choice. It comes in little single serve packets and cost something like $1.25 for 7.
May 15, 2012 01:56AM
y_p_w
ttilley

I've had no problem with Taster's Choice. It comes in little single serve packets and cost something like $1.25 for 7.

I have one problem with Taster's Choice instant coffee: its taste. It's weak and flat.

Yes, Starbucks Via instant coffee is a bit pricey, but it's simply in a league of its own when it comes to instant coffee and they're an excellent addition to any backpacking or camping trip. The only thing I'll warn about Starbucks Via instant coffee is – at least to for me – not all of its blends are created equal in regards to taste. Personally, I prefer the taste of the Via House Blend or Breakfast Blend – or even better – the taste of some of the seasonal blends like Via's Tribute Blend or Christmas Blend. Starbucks Via's Columbian Blend (the only one available at Costco) stinks, IMHO, but most of the other ones are – at least – fine in regards to taste (and far tastier than Taster's Choice).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 10:41AM by plawrence.
May 17, 2012 03:57PM
That's funny, I can't stand the breakfast blend. It's too weak for me. I prefer the Colombian, tribute or holiday blend. But seriously, those VIAs are worth their weight in gold. I find it to be stellar coffee. If you buy in bulk off the Starbucks website they'll be cheaper.
May 17, 2012 07:46PM
At least we agree on the superiority of Starbuck's VIA Tribute and Christmas Blends. smiling smiley

What to you think about the VIA House Blend?

My problem with the VIA Columbia Blend is that its over-roasted. Starbucks gives it the typical Char-bucks™ over-roasted treatment which can work for beans from other regions by not those from Columbia. I've always thought Columbian coffee tastes its best when the beans are medium roasted, or at most, roasted to a medium-dark level.

On the other hand, I don't mind the taste of Starbucks VIA Italian Roast blend.
May 21, 2012 07:46AM
plawrence
y_p_w
ttilley

I have one problem with Taster's Choice instant coffee: its taste. It's weak and flat.

Yes, Starbucks Via instant coffee is a bit pricey, but it's simply in a league of its own when it comes to instant coffee and they're an excellent addition to any backpacking or camping trip. The only thing I'll warn about Starbucks Via instant coffee is – at least to for me – not all of its blends are created equal in regards to taste. Personally, I prefer the taste of the Via House Blend or Breakfast Blend – or even better – the taste of some of the seasonal blends like Via's Tribute Blend or Christmas Blend. Starbucks Via's Columbian Blend (the only one available at Costco) stinks, IMHO, but most of the other ones are – at least – fine in regards to taste (and far tastier than Taster's Choice).

Mt Hagen beats 'em all. A jar that makes 60 cups (strong cups) of coffee can be had at Whole Foods-type stores for less than ten bucks.
May 21, 2012 10:19AM
AlmostThere

Mt Hagen beats 'em all. A jar that makes 60 cups (strong cups) of coffee can be had at Whole Foods-type stores for less than ten bucks.

Thanks for the tip!

I'll need to try'em out. Though I'll probably purchase a box of their single serving packets since I find those small slim single-serving packets of instant coffee easier to pack and use out in the field.
May 21, 2012 11:52AM
plawrence
AlmostThere

Thanks for the tip!

I'll need to try'em out. Though I'll probably purchase a box of their single serving packets since I find those small slim single-serving packets of instant coffee easier to pack and use out in the field.

Yeah - the Taster's Choice House Blend tends to be a bit on the bland side, but I've tried the 100% Columbian. It's a slightly darker roast (more to a medium) with 100% Arabica beans.

Even so, the regular House Blend compares favorably to regular foodservice coffee. If I were going to be on a longish trip, I might try making my own drip coffee with a cone filter. A 1/4 lb of Peet's Arabian Mocha-Java would be my first choice.

I guess I might give this one a try. Amazon sells it directly, including the 25 ct stick packs.
May 21, 2012 07:18PM
plawrence
AlmostThere

Thanks for the tip!

If you get to whole foods before I do, let me know how you like it, it appears that we have similar taste in coffee. This does give me a good excuse to go to whole foods...
May 21, 2012 07:41PM
Yes, same here. I was just at the Berkeley Whole Paycheck last Saturday...before I saw this...grumble...
May 22, 2012 07:45AM
Can you still buy MSG in a can anymore?
May 22, 2012 08:46AM
Hitech

Most certainly!

Be it in economical 2 LB canisters: Amazon.com - Ac'cent Flavor Enhancer - 2 lb. canister

3.52 oz packets: Amazon.com - Ac'cent Original, 3.52-Ounce (Pack of 6)

or even "Freshly Packed" in large jars: Amazon.com - Freshly Packed MSG in Large Jar

Take your pick! wink

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 02:13PM by plawrence.
May 22, 2012 10:23AM
Hitech

http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B0017TN3UC
May 22, 2012 10:50AM
And I thought accent was a fad... eye popping smiley
May 22, 2012 02:15PM
In Japan it has been a mainstay for the past 100 years...
May 22, 2012 12:26PM
Hitech
I have a splitting headache just thinking about it! Confused
May 22, 2012 03:04PM
qumqats

There was a double-blind study done awhile back. It found no headaches from the amount of MSG used in food.
May 23, 2012 03:30PM
eeek
qumqats

There was a double-blind study done awhile back. It found no headaches from the amount of MSG used in food.

Different people are going to have different tolerances to MSG.

Non seasoned food off the shelf may not often give headaches, but a person that's used to eating MSG who has a shaker of MSG could sprinkle to taste and easily overload the food to the headache point.
I've seen it happen.
May 30, 2012 02:43PM
plawrence
AlmostThere

Thanks for the tip!

I just tried Mount Hagen freeze-dried coffee.

The good news: it tastes a whole lot better than Nescafé or Taster's Choice.

The bad news: it still tastes like freeze-dried coffee. Yes, very good tasting freeze-tried coffee, but it still has that distinctly watery (no body) mouth-feel of freeze-dried coffee despite its fine taste.

And that's what so remarkable about Starbuck's VIA instant coffee. It actually tastes like real coffee in all aspects. It has the fullness of flavor and body that real coffee has and that typical freeze-dried coffee lacks.

The only two problems with Starbuck's VIA instant coffee are: 1) its price: it's very expensive compared to other instant coffees, and 2) many of the VIA blends tend to have that over-roasted "Charbucks" taste that's typical of many of the Starbucks regular roasts. But it truly does taste like real coffee.

May 30, 2012 06:26PM
Thanks, sticking with Via sounds good for now.
May 30, 2012 06:42PM
The Starbuck's VIA is a blend of freeze-dried instant and micro-ground actual beans.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 12:24AM by mrcondron.
May 31, 2012 12:08AM
I've noticed that. The obvious sign – even after stirring it well, there's usually a trace amount of those micro-ground beans left at the bottom of the cup with Starbuck's VIA instant coffee. Regular freeze-dried coffee doesn't leave any trace of coffee grounds inside the cup.

May 14, 2012 07:16PM
basilbop
Food preferences are personal--some people (and birds) can survive on Twinkies, I am partial to most Mountain House fare...
I'm one of the few people in the world that actually likes MREs. Maybe because it reminds me of my mother's cooking. Yes, she was that bad of a cook. Feed ME!
May 15, 2012 04:03AM
#5 cheesy spoon syndrome!!!! -- lol !!!! i was going to mention that above but was too embarassed -- i thought i was the only one who had that problem -- the boy and i spent way too much time last year after our mountain house cheesed meals trying to scrape the thick coating from our ti spoons -- stuff's like automobile undercoating, it is. so next month, i'm not packing any lasagnas or spaghettis!!!
May 15, 2012 10:33AM
Thanks Basil, we'll leave the extra JB's behind and use one for the boil and dump.

Randy
May 14, 2012 08:47PM
Soup and a sandwich makes for a nice lunch.
You can find "cup of soup" in different varieties such as pea, chowder, corn or black bean, in most grocery stores. Repackage by throwing out the actual cup and put the contents in a snack size ziplock bag. On the trail just heat water, each of you bring out their own cup and soup mix, pour the water into the cup and you're done.
Sandwich consist of your favorite cracker topped with peanut butter, nutella, humus, cheese or tuna.
Peanut butter comes in (large) serving sizes individually wrapped.
Babybel cheeses are individually wrapped, keep well and taste great on the trail.
Tuna also comes in little foil packets, some with additions that make it perfect for a sandwich.
May 15, 2012 10:38AM
Thanks Katy. Babybel's are nice. PB is a good suggestion too. Was way too restricted on lunch ideas.

Randy
May 14, 2012 08:52PM
I'd normally recommend those Lipton/Knorr (now just Knorr) sides, although backpackers should look for the ones that don't require milk. You would at least need a regular stove and a pot though. If all you can do is boil water, then freeze dried is probably your best option. Instant mashed potatoes are cheap and only need to be rehydrated. I prefer Idahoan, but there are other brands out there.

There's tuna that comes in those pouches. Those have a minimal amount of liquid compared to canned tuna, and they're easy to shoehorn into whatever space is left in your bear canister. I went for the ones packed in oil for the additional calories, but they're harder to find than the water packed ones. Or if you really want to splurge, then maybe salmon. Another decent protein and calorie source would be dry salami. I took some flat packed sliced salami, but you could get uncooked salami and just cut it when you're ready to eat.

Also - 8" wide tortillas fit perfectly into a BearVault. Corn or flour should work equally well.

You're definitely going to need more than just your BearVault for three people. Maybe rent a Garcia when you get to Yosemite. It's only $5 for your entire trip.
May 17, 2012 04:38PM
y_p_w
You're definitely going to need more than just your BearVault for three people. Maybe rent a Garcia when you get to Yosemite. It's only $5 for your entire trip.

Would I be correct in assuming one must put down a deposit also?
Re: Deposit on bear cans
May 17, 2012 04:55PM
They take down your credit card number and charge you full price for the Garcia if you never return the can.

They expect the can back in two weeks, if you need it for longer than that let them know. They can be dropped off at any of the wilderness centers in Yosemite, or returned by mail.
May 17, 2012 05:03PM
y_p_w
I'd normally recommend those Lipton/Knorr (now just Knorr) sides, although backpackers should look for the ones that don't require milk.

What!?

There's this thing called powered milk. tongue sticking out smiley
I use it all the time for Pasta Roni. Little bag o powdered milk along with the required amount of REAL butter.
No problemo at all... The butter will stay just fine for a week.
Butter is also fabulous if you want to take along a "skillet" and make some casadillas (spelled right?)..
Pepper Jack Cheese... + Toritilla... butter... nom nom nom

May 17, 2012 05:20PM
chick-on

Yes, but it's pure evil.
May 17, 2012 06:34PM
eeek
chick-on

Yes, but it's pure evil.

I'd say This IS

May 17, 2012 07:09PM
Did you note the irony of the listing and the fabulous reviews for it?

The vast majority of the reviews extoll how fabulous it is for their young children and toddlers that have an allergy to cow's milk.

Yet that item you linked is listed under the Pet Supplies Dept!
May 17, 2012 07:21PM
eeek
chick-on

Yes, but it's pure evil.

Most of them are, but there are exceptions.

Like Peak powdered whole milk. Good Stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 07:47PM by plawrence.
May 17, 2012 07:30PM
Goat cheese (chevre, drunken goat, etc.) is really good, I wonder if there's a passable dehydrated chevre (passable includes being able to separate it from a spoon without resorting to gamma radiation, unlike the case with BP "Lasagne"winking smiley.
May 17, 2012 07:34PM
ttilley
unlike the case with BP "Lasagne"winking smiley.

British Petroleum makes lasagne?
May 17, 2012 07:39PM
That's my impression, though they claim the initials stand for something else.
May 17, 2012 07:32PM
plawrence
but there are exceptions.

Not for me.
May 21, 2012 02:08AM
eeek
chick-on

Yes, but it's pure evil.

I call it death dust.
May 21, 2012 07:48AM
tomdisco
eeek
chick-on

Yes, but it's pure evil.

I call it death dust.

As in the dust from His Dark Materials?
May 24, 2012 12:02PM
eeek
tomdisco
eeek
chick-on

Yes, but it's pure evil.

I call it death dust.

As in the dust from His Dark Materials?

Actually, I'm referring to those packs of dry non-dairy creamer. Forces you to appreciate black coffee even if you are not a black coffee person.
May 24, 2012 01:15PM
tomdisco

Actually, I'm referring to those packs of dry non-dairy creamer. Forces you to appreciate black coffee even if you are not a black coffee person.

Non-dairy creamer – One of the greatest abominations ever created by mankind. I hate that stuff with a passion to the point I'll always try to remember to take along a supply of Land O'Lakes Mini-Moos ultra-pasteurized real Half & Half (needs no refrigeration) anytime I travel by plane or train (or even car camping). When backpacking, I'll pack along some WillPowder® heavy cream powder in small zip-lock bags.

May 24, 2012 05:28PM
plawrence
tomdisco

Non-dairy creamer – One of the greatest abominations ever created by mankind. I hate that stuff with a passion to the point I'll always try to remember to take along a supply of Land O'Lakes Mini-Moos ultra-pasteurized real Half & Half (needs no refrigeration) anytime I travel by plane or train (or even car camping). When backpacking, I'll pack along some WillPowder® heavy cream powder in small zip-lock bags.

That's why I like those starbucks so much. They're so good that I drink them black and don't have to worry about carrying sugar or creamer.
May 21, 2012 09:10PM
I actually think the...BP...powdered _whole_ milk is OK. Nonfat powdered milk would strike me as evil, but then so would nonfat non-powdered milk.
May 19, 2012 06:55AM
chick-on

I use it all the time for Pasta Roni. Little bag o powdered milk along with the required amount of REAL butter.
No problemo at all... The butter will stay just fine for a week.
Butter is also fabulous if you want to take along a "skillet" and make some casadillas (spelled right?)..

Quesadilla . Casadilla would be a food item made from a house.

Butter flavored Crisco lasts longer and is healthier.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 19, 2012 10:11AM
Frank Furter

Healthier? I thought we knew better now.
May 19, 2012 12:30PM
eeek
Frank Furter

Healthier? I thought we knew better now.

The comparison may be between two unhealthy options, but at least Crisco, which so far as I know is entirely plant based, does not contain cholesterol. There are problems from the saturated fats in both products. The typical nutritional argument for butter has been that it is "natural", which I do not find persuasive alone as an argument.
Influenza and radon are natural as well.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 19, 2012 03:30PM
Frank Furter
but at least Crisco, which so far as I know is entirely plant based, does not contain cholesterol.

But does contain hydrogenated oils which are much worse.
May 19, 2012 06:37PM
eeek
Frank Furter
but at least Crisco, which so far as I know is entirely plant based, does not contain cholesterol.

This is somewhat out of my area of expertise, but if you are referring to trans fat and the indirect effect on endogenous cholesterol levels (trans fat causing human cholesterol levels to shift to undesirable ratios of low and high density lipoproteins), Crisco allegedly has zero Trans fat.
It may even have fewer calories per gram compared to butter. There are a number of issues here, cholesterol, saturated vs unsaturated fat, total fat, and the trans fat factor. Given the absence of cholesterol, the reported absence of trans fat, and the levels of saturated and unsaturated fat, Crisco still appears to be a better source of that buttery flavor than butter itself to my reading of the issue. In a perfect world, neither butter or Crisco should be used extensively.

-- Carl Sagan
May 19, 2012 06:44PM
Frank Furter
Crisco allegedly has zero Trans fat.

That's only because they are allowed to redefine the word "zero". I see a lot of claims like that.
May 19, 2012 06:50PM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

This is somewhat out of my area of expertise, but if you are referring to trans fat and the indirect effect on endogenous cholesterol levels (trans fat causing human cholesterol levels to shift to undesirable ratios of low and high density lipoproteins), Crisco allegedly has zero Trans fat.
It may even have fewer calories per gram compared to butter. There are a number of issues here, cholesterol, saturated vs unsaturated fat, total fat, and the trans fat factor. Given the absence of cholesterol, the reported absence of trans fat, and the levels of saturated and unsaturated fat, Crisco still appears to be a better source of that buttery flavor than butter itself to my reading of the issue. In a perfect world, neither butter or Crisco should be used extensively.

May 19, 2012 07:29PM
eeek

Entertaining but not edifying. Just more of the "butter is natural" argument (which actually is another debate given the antibiotics, hormonal and genetic regulation to increase milk production and the capacity for mammary glands to trap and excrete all sorts of environmental chemicals).

Some info on fat concerns in food:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp

-- Carl Sagan
May 15, 2012 09:12AM
You've touched on a lot of my favorites here as well, but I'll add a few for laughs...

The Barilla shelf stable tortellini is one of my favorites!!! It cooks up easy, it's easy to flavor with powdered cheese or pesto sauces, and it's packed with calories. (A tiny coating of olive oil and some fresh crushed garlic is awesome!!!!)

I also love the foil tuna pouches. I always choose a few packets of condiments for flavor (mayo, pickle relish, spicy mustard) mix and spread on a tortilla. Yum!

Hard cheese and salami's also work well with the tortillas or crackers.

Everyone is different, but comfort food on the trail has always been important to me. In my opinion, a few extra ounces can make a huge difference in morale and is worth the effort! With planning and practice, I've been able to eliminate most, if not all of the freeze dried meals from my trips. Mostly because I think they are gross and I don't eat well when I have to rely on them.

Food for thought! Damn, now I'm hungry...

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
May 15, 2012 05:50PM
Does St. George Spirits Gin count as "comfort food"? Put some in a Nalgene flask, and it does seem to help morale.
May 15, 2012 06:59PM
I haven't taken it yet on any trips to the backcountry, but my current favorite gin for drinking straight is Genevieve Gin from Anchor Distilling:

Anchor Distilling Genevieve Gin
May 15, 2012 07:04PM
I've liked their Junipero Gin. I haven't had that one but have wanted to try it. Of the St. George gins on that page, I like the Terroir for backpacking. The first time I tasted it the douglas fir note was startling, but I really like it when I'm surrounded by similar smells.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 07:05PM by ttilley.
May 15, 2012 07:22PM
Yes, I like Anchor's Junipero Gin too!

But that St. George Terroir Gin intrigues me. I'll look for it the next time I visit a spirit shop.

May 16, 2012 07:00AM
trailcooking.com

Forget all the hyper-expensive freeze dried crap. no, stop, enough!

Ban expensive and low calorie (ha, look at the label, how low can they go?) foil wrapped junk full of preservatives.

Eat real food that fits in bear cans. Oatmeal can get old, but you can get other stuff in packets - instant cream of wheat, instant grits. Or bag up some granola and a few spoons of Nido - full fat milk powder, find it in Walmart or grocery stores all over the central valley - and add a little water to have milk and cereal.

You can use any pasta recipe with couscous, the original just add water pasta - mac and cheese has never been easier or less fuel-wasting. The pasta sauce packets, plus butter buds or Nido to add in the butter or milk called for, mix up on the trail too. Or treat the couscous like breakfast cereal - add milk powder, granola or trail mix, dried fruit, whatever - different taste, same base.

With a wooden spoon and an oven, make up dehydrated cooked pasta or rice - minute rice tastes like paper and adding spices to it tastes like paper plus spices. Real rice (basmati, jasmine, brown, long grain, short grain) can be cooked and then dehydrated to have flavor and used as a base to make just about anything. Add boil in bag Thai food from trader joes and you have a great meal. One of my favorites - get a can of your fave chili con carne, dehydrate til crispy, throw in a ziplock, add to dehydrated rice or pasta of choice, bust out a cheddar stick and melt over the top - whoa, tastes like what you have at home.

Buy soup cups - Nile Spice are good, lots of these out there - and repackage into small ziplocks. Buy JustVeggies and add them to ramen bricks.

Pack things in ziplocks, squeeze out the air, roll them up, lay 'em in in layers into the can. stick in trail bars, cheese sticks, or other small dense items in the cracks. Pack it up tight and leave room for trash and hygiene items at the top. With a Bear Vault solo and four days, I still have room for a small box of wine.

Eat REAL food, be happy. smileys with beer
May 16, 2012 10:35AM
Almost, thanks for the great thoughts.

Will certainly try some of suggestions, especially about dehydrating the rice....

Randy
May 16, 2012 11:02AM
BigR

Will certainly try some of suggestions, especially about dehydrating the rice....

Randy

No disrepect really... but why bother?
http://www.knorr.com/Products/Rice-Sides.aspx

Buy something like Spanish or Mexican Rice... take some Taco Bell Hot Sauce.
A package of Tortillas... and you got yourself a Poor Chick-on's Burrrrr-eeeee-to
Yum yum

EDIT: The Spanish and Mex. Rices are here:
http://www.knorr.com/Products/Fiesta-Sides.aspx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 11:03AM by chick-on.
May 16, 2012 01:39PM
chick-on
BigR

Randy

A package of Tortillas... and you got yourself a Poor Chick-on's Burrrrr-eeeee-to
Yum yum

Tried 'em. I used them at home and they were too wet when I was done. I was afraid they'd burn if I got them to the consistency of real Spanish rice.

Now the ones I really like are their Cajun Sides red beans and rice. The package even comes with a recipe for making it the base for jambalaya.
May 17, 2012 01:27PM
One trick I learned last year from Len Swalkowski and his son was to have a cup or two of flavored tea later in the evening after your evening meal. It's very tasty, it lasts awhile because you have to sip it slowly, and fools your Hunger Gremlins into thinking you actually consumed something of substance. Tea bags also weigh next to nothing.
May 17, 2012 01:39PM
Regular black, green, or oolong tea (caffeinated or decaffeinated) works just as well in my experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 01:40PM by plawrence.
May 17, 2012 02:02PM
I recommended the flavored teas because most of them have no caffeine and that is an issue for me at night.
May 17, 2012 02:55PM
tomdisco
I recommended the flavored teas because most of them have no caffeine and that is an issue for me at night.

I'm certain Gremlins don't like "Regular black, green, or oolong tea" so you are correct.

Somehow I got lots of crap for enjoying the "Peach Passion" tea.

Bird just can win sometimes.

May 17, 2012 03:07PM
chick-on
tomdisco

I'm certain Gremlins don't like "Regular black, green, or oolong tea" so you are correct.

Somehow I got lots of crap for enjoying the "Peach Passion" tea.

Bird just can win sometimes.

You mean this herbal tea?

If you do, that's one of my favorite herbal teas. It's also great iced. But personally at night, I prefer a less sweet tea as a nightcap. (And usually it's decaffeinated too.) But to each, their own. They're all good.

May 17, 2012 03:14PM
I add sugar. And I also many times have a neat to eat treat nearby while TV watching.
smiling smiley

May 17, 2012 03:19PM
You add sugar? Of course that shouldn't surprise me with your love of Twinkies! As I said, it's all good...
May 17, 2012 05:28PM
chick-on
I add sugar. And I also many times have a neat to eat treat nearby while TV watching.
smiling smiley

Then there's the sugar Fletcher used: http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B004PR04P0
May 18, 2012 06:50PM
chick-on
BigR

Randy

Yum yum

vomit

Real rice with my own seasoning, thanks.

I tried some of the pre-packed seasoned boil in bag spanish rice, could not push three mouthfuls down my throat, shoved the rest in my trash bag, packed it out again. Too much of whatever - salt, preservatives, whatever it was, my mouth rejected it. Made me sick to my stomach. Had to calm it down with tea and some of the flatbread I brought for lunch the next day.
May 18, 2012 07:05PM
Feed ME!

The rice I pointed out is not boil in a bag. Anywho... to eat is own.
I don't actually take the rice that often... not a big fan of it on it's own.
But it's good in tortillas.

If I can't just throw it in da bear can then... it aint for dis bird
vomit

May 18, 2012 04:30PM
Tortillas that are about the same diameter as your bear can and peanut butter and honey are all high calorie/weight ratio foods that we always bring. Nutella is also a high calorie but tasty option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 04:41PM by boomtown.
May 21, 2012 09:04PM
Again, you're going to be really stretched for food trying to load enough food for three people for four nights in a single BearVault. Just rent another canister. You might even be stretched with two canisters.

The one thing you might try is something to make the food taste less bland. If you're out there, a little bit of seasoning can keep you from going insane. Tabasco is an old standby, but something like fresh ground pepper (there are some mini grinders that will fit nicely in a canister) or even a salted food enhancement like J&D's Bacon Salt.

http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconsalt.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2012 09:37PM by y_p_w.
May 22, 2012 01:40AM
y_p_w
The one thing you might try is something to make the food taste less bland. If you're out there, a little bit of seasoning can keep you from going insane. Tabasco is an old standby, but something like fresh ground pepper (there are some mini grinders that will fit nicely in a canister) or even a salted food enhancement like J&D's Bacon Salt.

I know this old standby flavor enhancer isn't fashionable in some food circles, but it does perk up a lot of food:
May 22, 2012 07:47AM
plawrence
y_p_w

I know this old standby flavor enhancer isn't fashionable in some food circles, but it does perk up a lot of food:

I don't care for straight up MSG. A lot of seasonings contain some MSG, like the Bacon Salt I mentioned. Then there are little packets of real brewed soy sauce. You'll also see the ingredient "hydrolyzed vegetable/soy/etc protein", which is just a backhanded way of saying it contains glutamates as a flavor enhancer.
May 22, 2012 03:16PM

Backpacker's Pantry Red Beans and Rice, with melted cheddar, day three dinner..mind u this was mid Sept up around Young's so it was cool enough you could bring salami and cheese...also get melba rounds if you want crakos..they tuff and don't break up when you stuff wink
May 22, 2012 03:22PM
Dis is how it's really done:

May 22, 2012 06:31PM
White meat or dark? :-)
May 22, 2012 08:46PM
chick-on

Does the chickon have to be put in the bearcan too?
May 22, 2012 09:09PM
mbear

What da!!!!

Do I look like a Twinkie!?!?

May 22, 2012 09:40PM
chick-on
mbear

In the eyes of some.

And I put ketchup on my Chick-on.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 09:41PM by mrcondron.
May 22, 2012 10:09PM
mrcondron
In the eyes of some.

I prefer El Yucateco on mine

May 22, 2012 10:36PM
mbear
mrcondron
In the eyes of some.

The green or the red aren't bad, but I prefer the natural colored Mayan recipe. I just bought a bottle last week, although it was a bit pricey.

May 22, 2012 11:01PM
y_p_w
I just bought a bottle last week, although it was a bit pricey.

That sucks. Those bottles are maybe $1.20 or $1.80 in Texas. I never get that one though; how different in flavor is it from the green?
May 22, 2012 11:32PM
mbear
y_p_w
I just bought a bottle last week, although it was a bit pricey.

That sucks. Those bottles are maybe $1.20 or $1.80 in Texas. I never get that one though; how different in flavor is it from the green?

The green or red are actually pretty easy to find. Many supermarkets carry them near where I live, and quite a few Wal-Marts will stock them where the Mexican foods are.

The first time I bought one of the Mayan recipe, it was something like $1.69 a bottle. However, it's really hard to find now. I've seen it at some specialty Mexican restaurant, and it was maybe $4 (this place overcharged for everything). I bought one for $2.97 at some out of the way produce store about a week ago. They had a wide variety of hot sauces, and most tended to be those obscure boutique hot sauces.

The Mayan recipe (Kutbil-Ik) is their hottest version. The red and green versions are blended into rather a thin liquid-like pulp. The Mayan version doesn't contain any food coloring and is more of a thicker mash with lots of discernible pieces.

http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/kubil-ik.html

One place I miss is an independent store in the Great Mall of the Bay Area called "Salsas Etc." although they may have had other stores. They had a whole bunch of obscure hot sauces including Bustelo's Habenero. I don't know if I'm willing to try any of the hot sauces made using pure capsicum powder like Dave's Insanity though. One thing I did try was when they had some fresh red savina habaneros in stock. I bought a few and tried eating one raw. I was guzzling water, although milk would have helped immensely.

http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=74502362

A few months ago I saw some Naga Jolokia peppers imported from Holland. Those were $5 for 50 grams (maybe about 5 or 6). The packaging had dire warnings about how hot they were.
May 22, 2012 11:48PM
y_p_w
The green or red are actually pretty easy to find. Many supermarkets carry them near where I live, and quite a few Wal-Marts will stock them where the Mexican foods are.

The first time I bought one of the Mayan recipe, it was something like $1.69 a bottle. However, it's really hard to find now. I've seen it at some specialty Mexican restaurant, and it was maybe $4 (this place overcharged for everything). I bought one for $2.97 at some out of the way produce store about a week ago. They had a wide variety of hot sauces, and most tended to be those obscure boutique hot sauces.

The Mayan recipe (Kutbil-Ik) is their hottest version. The red and green versions are blended into rather a thin liquid-like pulp. The Mayan version doesn't contain any food coloring and is more of a thicker mash with lots of discernible pieces.

http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/kubil-ik.html

One place I miss is an independent store in the Great Mall of the Bay Area called "Salsas Etc." although they may have had other stores. They had a whole bunch of obscure hot sauces including Bustelo's Habenero. I don't know if I'm willing to try any of the hot sauces made using pure capsicum powder like Dave's Insanity though. One thing I did try was when they had some fresh red savina habaneros in stock. I bought a few and tried eating one raw. I was guzzling water, although milk would have helped immensely.

http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=74502362

A few months ago I saw some Naga Jolokia peppers imported from Holland. Those were $5 for 50 grams (maybe about 5 or 6). The packaging had dire warnings about how hot they were.

Haha, I love eating the orange and the red habaneros. My favorite raw salsa to make is Xnipec, with a grip of diced orange habaneros, some red onion, cilantro, orange soda, lime juice, and salt (I hate tomato and skip that part). It's pretty great on eggs, but it'll make your nose run like hell (supposedly the name means 'dog nose' or 'wet nose' in Mayan; I forget which). I'll pass on the Naga Jolokias and Bhut Jolokias though.no, stop, enough!
May 23, 2012 12:23PM
May 23, 2012 11:13AM
mbear
mrcondron
In the eyes of some.

Plus http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B00002ND64
May 22, 2012 10:08PM
chick-on
What da!!!!

Nah... it's a good thing too, since I think Twinkies are lousy. You do look a bit like a Sno Ball though, which would be much tastier.
May 23, 2012 08:50AM
chick-on

Mmmm! Hostess apple pie! Feed ME! That Chick-on knows how to live! Bowing to his greatness
May 23, 2012 04:00PM
PineCone

Mmmm! Hostess apple pie! Feed ME! That Chick-on knows how to live! Bowing to his greatness

They more like empanadas than pies. Rather reminds me of a Jamaican patty.

I have a preference for the cherry version.
May 23, 2012 05:55PM
y_p_w
PineCone

They more like empanadas than pies. Rather reminds me of a Jamaican patty.

I have a preference for the cherry version.

I have to put in a plug here for my fairy (pie) godmother, Mrs. Redd. She bakes up a few more 'exotic' flavors than Hostess,
here are my two favorites (and they sure do go well with a single malt scotch around the campfire at night) grinning smiley :

May 24, 2012 12:08PM
PineCone
chick-on

That's one of those heavy weight snacks you eat on the first day.
May 24, 2012 12:04PM
rroland

Backpacker's Pantry Red Beans and Rice, with melted cheddar, day three dinner..mind u this was mid Sept up around Young's so it was cool enough you could bring salami and cheese...also get melba rounds if you want crakos..they tuff and don't break up when you stuff wink

I wonder how dry Parmesian would work with this?
May 23, 2012 11:20AM
What is that in the zip lock bag next to the Milky Way bar?
Cherry Jello? Some cotton candy? A fleece jacket to keep chick-on warm in the higher elevations? confused smiley
May 23, 2012 05:19PM
PineCone
Cherry Jello? Some cotton candy? A fleece jacket to keep chick-on warm in the higher elevations? confused smiley

Flaming Hot Cheeeeetos

(normally take the Jalapeno Cheeeeetos... but these worked)

Hmm... this reminds me of Red Meadows pass thru... bought a bag of snack-size candy bars.
I don't think they made it to Purple Lake... come to think of it they may have not even made it past Upper Crater Meadow.

Feed ME!

May 23, 2012 05:22PM
chick-on
Flaming Hot Cheeeeetos

What do you do for phytonutrients?
May 23, 2012 06:49PM
chick-on
PineCone

Flaming Hot Cheeeeetos

Which Flamin' Hot Cheetos, regular cheese or Limon cheese flavored?

Oh, and there's now a "Twice as Hot!" XXTRA Flamin' Hot Cheetos for your snacking pleasure:

May 23, 2012 09:28PM
I'm partial to the Jalapeno Cheetos. So it's irreverant...

May 24, 2012 07:48AM
chick-on
I'm partial to the Jalapeno Cheetos. So it's irreverant...

May 24, 2012 07:32AM
chick-on
PineCone

Flaming Hot Cheeeeetos

(normally take the Jalapeno Cheeeeetos... but these worked)

Hmm... this reminds me of Red Meadows pass thru... bought a bag of snack-size candy bars.
I don't think they made it to Purple Lake... come to think of it they may have not even made it past Upper Crater Meadow.

Feed ME!

Def. they didn't make it past Upper Crater Meadow. I only have a picture of a bag of Fritos I bought at Reds too.

On a related topic:

Look at that beach. Hi Paul
tongue sticking out smiley

(ok, it's related b/c it was on that trip) Marie Lake (Marie and Helen were obviously a popular name "back then" )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login