Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Vernal Falls - Photographers rock turnout....

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Vernal Falls - Photographers rock turnout....
May 15, 2012 05:12AM
Is the trail well marked, if not does anyone have a GPS coords for the turn our or milage from trailhead?

Here.
http://virtualguidebooks.com/CentralCalif/Yosemite/VernalFallsMistTrail/VernalFallsRock_F.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 05:12AM by Ataim.
avatar Re: Vernal Falls - Photographers rock turnout....
May 15, 2012 07:00AM
You don't need GPS coords.
This is located between where the Vernal Falls Bridge and Comfort Station is and
the JMT/Mist Trail Split. Just look on your left going up or your right going down
and you will see it. It's about 1/2 way b/t those spots.

Or ... It is Here (about at the t in Footbridge)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 11, 2012 03:00PM
chick-on

Ataim
Is the trail well marked, if not does anyone have a GPS coords for the turn our or milage from trailhead?

Here.
http://virtualguidebooks.com/CentralCalif/Yosemite/VernalFallsMistTrail/VernalFallsRock_F.php

You don't need GPS coords.
This is located between where the Vernal Falls Bridge and Comfort Station is and
the JMT/Mist Trail Split. Just look on your left going up or your right going down
and you will see it. It's about 1/2 way b/t those spots.

Or ... It is Here (about at the t in Footbridge)

That might be another spot, but the rocks that the photographers are shown on in Paul's virtualguidebooks.com link is further up the trail past the JMT - Mist Trail junction. The turnoff from the Mist Trail is approximately where the e in "Footbridge" is on your linked topo map.

Here's a link to a 360º pano I took with my iPhone from that rock on Saturday:

My 360º Pano of Vernal Fall from Photographers Rock (using Photosynth)

May 15, 2012 07:18AM
Thank you,

Paul
May 15, 2012 07:32AM
Yea, very easy to find. Lots of people have a snack there, I have many times. The fall is still pretty far away at that point, I haven't made my best shots of the falls from there, but it is worth a look see.
May 15, 2012 09:27AM
That is the rock that I was talking about on the thread where someone asked where to have a picnic at. I never knew that is was called Photographers rock. We always refer to it as picnic rock since that is where we always have a picnic when we are in that area.
May 15, 2012 10:40AM
Once upon a time, there was a small rusted metal trail sign pointed towards the rock with the words "Vista Point" on the sign. Right at its junction with the Mist Trail you should notice some small stone steps towards the rock (unless they have been removed by the Park Service).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 04:19PM by plawrence.
May 15, 2012 12:51PM
The sign and the steps are still there, albeit really worn down.
June 11, 2012 02:29PM
hotrod4x5

The sign and the steps are still there, albeit really worn down.

Nope. That sign isn't there anymore, but the steps still are. Went there last Saturday.

Here's a photo I took of Vernal Falls from the rock this past Saturday morning with my iPhone:

June 11, 2012 09:24PM
Nice. Tanks for Sharon.

(ok, the lighting kinda sux... but I get the idea)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 15, 2012 04:13PM
Yup, it is still pretty far from the falls; I would venture a little closer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login