Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: taking a tot to tuolumne

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

taking a tot to tuolumne
May 30, 2012 12:36PM
Anyone ever bring a baby up into the high country? We have two nights reserved at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge this weekend and will be introducing a 7 mo old to Yosemite. I’m hoping the tent cabins at the TM Lodge will more easily accommodate an infant and offer convenient mosquito protection. There are also a number of short day hikes nearby that might be easy to bring a little one on (Lembert Dome, Lyell Canyon, Elizabeth Lake, Gaylor lakes etc…)

Any tips, suggestions, or past experiences to learn from? (we will be prepared for feeding logistics, mosquito and sun protection)
May 30, 2012 01:38PM
There could be a few problems for an infant. First, it could be quite cold at night. Bring plenty of warm wraps. Second, no food can be kept in the tent cabins due to the bears. Lastly, the wood burning stove could be a hazard for a baby, the metal gets really hot when a fire is going. If he/she is crawling be extra careful around the stove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 01:40PM by Mom.
May 30, 2012 02:04PM
The tent cabins have wood burning stoves? INSIDE?
May 31, 2012 04:07PM
hotrod4x5
The tent cabins have wood burning stoves? INSIDE?
Yes, inside. Seems counter intuitive, but no problems as far as I know.
avatar Re: taking a tot to tuolumne
May 30, 2012 02:23PM
Ear infections can be a problem from the altitude if they have a tendancy to get them.
May 30, 2012 02:59PM
thanks for the advice,

Yes, according to the TM lodge website, "Each tent will accommodate up to four people - and comes fully equipped with beds and linens, candles for lighting, a wood burning stove and wood". Kinda like a hotel room in the wilderness.

We'll be sure to watch for ear trouble, hot stoves, and cold temps in the middle of the night.
avatar Re: taking a tot to tuolumne
May 30, 2012 03:10PM
And I would bring battery power lanterns instead of relying on candles. And a pack and play comes in real handy.
May 30, 2012 03:19PM
I would add two more things to watch.

1. dehydration. Humidity up there is about 0, so please keep the little one hydrated. This is really important, and easy to overlook with all the other stuff you have to worry about.

2. The UV radiation up there is also intense. Keep him/her totally covered up and lathered up with sunscreen. That new skin burns in an instant up there.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 30, 2012 03:25PM
If your baby is crawling, the stove is the biggest hazard. And if the baby needs to eat in the middle of the night, you will have to get the food from the bearbox in the parking lot, feed the child and then take it back to the bear box.
May 30, 2012 03:55PM
Bring earplugs for everybody else. Just kiddin'....

I would consult with a doctor regarding the high altitude. A couple of good points have been mentioned.

As of hiking to Lembert Dome: I don't expect any snow up there but there is a kind of steep passage near the "summit" that could be slippery when wet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 03:56PM by Half Dome Hiker.
May 31, 2012 09:58AM
As far as the campground goes it is difficult. Not sure about the tent cabins.
Two trips we saw people with babies. Both times the babies were up all night crying. Both times the people left the next day.
I now bring ear plugs to the TM campground just in case. Not kidding.

Good luck.
May 31, 2012 12:57PM
Many people take their babies backpacking and camping at a early age and the key is to expect the unexpected and have a backup plan. I think that people have discribed many of the issues you may encounter but I want to stress two of them that you should watch out for - altitude and dehydration. Babies can't tell you directly if the altitude/dehydration is bothering them. Go to: http://www.babywisemom.com/2011/08/altitude-sickness.html for some helpful hints.

Our son was 3 months old when he made his first trip to Yosemite. While we stayed in a Curry cabin and did not camp, it turned out well because we were prepared for any continguency. Now at 16 years of age, he has been to Yosemite over 50 times.
May 31, 2012 03:58PM
Thanks again for all the advice. We'll keep baby hydrated and look for symptoms of altitude sickness, while being prepared to bail out early if things get too hairy.
May 31, 2012 07:16PM
Have a great time and let us know how things went.
May 31, 2012 09:44PM
parklover
Many people take their babies backpacking and camping at a early age and the key is to expect the unexpected and have a backup plan. I think that people have discribed many of the issues you may encounter but I want to stress two of them that you should watch out for - altitude and dehydration. Babies can't tell you directly if the altitude/dehydration is bothering them. Go to: http://www.babywisemom.com/2011/08/altitude-sickness.html for some helpful hints.

Our son was 3 months old when he made his first trip to Yosemite. While we stayed in a Curry cabin and did not camp, it turned out well because we were prepared for any continguency. Now at 16 years of age, he has been to Yosemite over 50 times.

Baby's face turning blue would be an obvious sign of altitude effects. I've heard stories of that happening.
May 31, 2012 09:46PM
Have you seen moms/dads carrying their tots up the Half Dome cables?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login