Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Simi Valley resident Roberta Singer found dead below Tioga Pass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Simi Valley resident Roberta Singer found dead below Tioga Pass
June 12, 2012 04:51PM
A Simi Valley woman was found dead after she apparently drove 200 yards off Tioga Pass Highway at Blue Slide west of the entrance to Yosemite National Park.

http://www.recordcourier.com/article/20120612/NEWS/120619972/1062&ParentProfile=1049
June 12, 2012 05:15PM
The article says " She was last reported on Highway 120 down Tioga Pass." Wouldn't that be to the east of the entrance?
avatar Re: Simi Valley resident Roberta Singer found dead below Tioga Pass
June 12, 2012 05:37PM
ERICG
The article says " She was last reported on Highway 120 down Tioga Pass." Wouldn't that be to the east of the entrance?

I was thinking the same thing. And considering I had to change "he" to "she" it's probably east. Couldn't find anything else looking around on the Internet.
June 13, 2012 08:30PM
For what it’s worth, I drove past the accident scene on Tuesday while driving down the pass. I'm not a regular to the park so the distance is an estimate, but I believe it was about a mile east (past as exiting the park) of the entrance ranger station. Terrifying to consider, there were about 3 feet of skidmarks from the eastbound lane extending about two feet over the centerline into the west bound lane. At that point there appeared to be an impact site (vehicular fluids and speedy dry on the ground) with the rear wheels skidding hard to the right swinging the vehicle off the edge rear end first. I didn’t see any other damaged vehicles but we had been waiting for over an hour back west of the entrance. The tow truck was still on scene with a cable winch over the side. Sad scene. My condolences to all.
June 13, 2012 11:28PM
<image removed by family request>
I drove by just after the Sheriff got there. I saw a very distressed lady on the edge looking down the side. We pulled over and saw the car a silver BMW on its side. I heard somebody yell "Bobbi!!!!". I have a couple of pictures but dont know how to post them. I took them at 11:35 Pacific time. I dont know the park as it was my first time through but the car was on want looked to be a rock slide area as it was nothing but rocks.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 09:58AM by chick-on.
June 13, 2012 11:47PM
<image removed by family request>

the other picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 09:59AM by chick-on.
June 12, 2012 06:42PM
Isn't Blue Slide is where there is a large cut through rocks and gravel, roughly 1 mile east of the TM Lodge turnoff. In this case, it would be west of the entrance.
June 12, 2012 06:46PM
The article said that Mono County Sheriff's Office was determining the cause of death. Therefore, east of the pass.
June 12, 2012 06:59PM
I suspect, then, that the name Blue Slide has been applied to the big slides east of the pass, or the Mono County sheriff entered the park to help out... But the Auto Tour Book puts Blue Slide on the west side, specifically at road marker T-21.
June 12, 2012 07:06PM
The park was involved in the call as well, to what degree we can trust the article. I assume Mono County would have come if an uncertain call had turned out to be on the west side as well. But, when it comes to filling out a legal document like a death certificate, I assume it matters a lot whose side of the pass is involved. I have a relative who works for a park that borders a major road...when a truck wrecks it matters a lot for him whether the resulting spill crosses the boundary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 07:07PM by ttilley.
June 13, 2012 03:51PM
Looks like its that big rocky slide area east of Ellery and west of Lee Vining.

http://www.paulpwellens.com/artwork/TiogaPass-ch6.pdf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login