Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Question about families for workers in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Question about families for workers in Yosemite
June 13, 2012 11:50AM
I have been thinking of doing some time in Yose after I retire in a few years but I will still have kids that are not out of the house yet, so that go me thinking. What jobs in Yosemite allow you to bring your family with you? NPS or DNC, doesn't matter at this stage...
avatar Re: Question about families for workers in Yosemite
June 13, 2012 06:41PM
NPS has limited housing available. They have a school in the Valley for the kids of those that live there. I'm not sure how it's allocated though. I'm sure it's mostly for permanent workers. Seasonals can get housing but it's shared with other seasonals. You also have to pay rent and utilities for NPS housing.
June 13, 2012 09:14PM
I am pretty sure this is correct: The valley school is for k-8th grade only. El Portal schools which are a part of Mariposa school district goes from K-12. However, because of the limited course offerings, most high school age kids go to Mariposa. Wawona's elementary school is K-6 and is part of the Bass Lake school district. Older kids in the Wawona, Yosemite West area go to Oakhurst to school.
June 13, 2012 06:45PM
You could rent a place in Midpines.
June 13, 2012 07:18PM
I have single friends who work for NPS and DNC and live in the tents or barracks so I have seen that side of it. I am wondering which actual jobs get your family in the Valley, like GM of the Ahwahnee, obviously way above my qualifications... I think LE rangers have their families there as well but I am not 100% sure.
avatar Re: Question about families for workers in Yosemite
June 13, 2012 08:15PM
For some NPS positions you have to live in housing. I think the job announcement tells you if housing for that position is required or available. See http://www.usajobs.gov/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login