Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tenaya Lake Area in Yosemite the Focus of Major Restoration Work

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tenaya Lake Area in Yosemite the Focus of Major Restoration Work
June 20, 2012 09:31AM
Tenaya Lake Area in Yosemite the Focus of Major Restoration Work - news release
Yosemite Conservancy Funds $1.7 Million in Habitat Protection and Visitor Improvements to High Country Lake
Peter Bartelme (Yosemite Conservancy) 415-664-1503
Jennifer Miller (Yosemite Conservancy) 415-434-1782
Scott Gediman and Kari Cobb (NPS) 209-372-0248

Yosemite’s Tenaya Lake, once called “Lake of the Shining Rocks,” will sparkle even more brightly following major restoration efforts this summer to its east beach and surrounding wetlands and trails with funding provided by Yosemite Conservancy .

“Tenaya Lake has a captivating natural beauty that charms park visitors young and old alike. Those coming to the east beach area will have an even better high country lake experience as a result of the restoration efforts made possible by our donors,” said Mike Tollefson, president, Yosemite Conservancy.

The visitor experience will be enhanced thanks to extensive habitat restoration plans for the east beach area. The trail from the parking lot to the beach will be relocated so it no longer crosses a fragile wetland, and native willows and other wetland plants will be re-introduced for better soil protection. The new trail, which will be wheelchair-accessible, will include educational signage highlighting Tenaya Lake’s sensitive ecology, recreational history and trail systems. Picnic areas are being thoughtfully restored, and will include the addition of a long communal table perfect for larger family gatherings.

“The new trailhead will be clearly marked to keep hikers on track and out of sensitive environments,” said Yosemite National Park Superintendent Don Neubacher. “There will be a sense of arrival at the lakefront where visitors will have special places to relax and share the experience with family and friends.”

Over 2011-2012 Yosemite Conservancy is providing $1,715,000 to fund the work, made possible by Conservancy supporters such as Southern California residents Jennifer and Greg Johnson, who call Tenaya Lake “Yosemite’s favorite beach.” Jennifer noted, “People who may not be able to hike to a backcountry lake can still take a short walk to experience the beauty and spirituality of the high country or spend a fun day at this wonderful beach with family, surrounded by spectacular scenery. It is our hope that places like Tenaya Lake will be there for future generations and this restoration work will accomplish that.”

Initial improvements to the east beach area began last year. Located at an elevation of 8,150 feet, Tenaya Lake is just off Tioga Road, which provides easy access for summer visitors of all ages and abilities. It is also a popular launch point for backpackers, who can set out on a number of trails that crisscross the high country.

The lake’s popularity resulted in the challenges of crowded parking areas, unsafe traffic conditions, and unintended harm to fragile ecosystems, shoreline erosion and unwanted run-off.

“The restoration work will address the effects of overuse while preserving the lake’s natural integrity and beauty,” said Neubacher. “At the same time, it will improve accessibility and will make the overall visitor experience even better for an incredibly diverse group of users. Yosemite Conservancy donors make projects like this possible.”
avatar Re: Tenaya Lake Area in Yosemite the Focus of Major Restoration Work
June 20, 2012 09:49AM
I wish they would build a bridge over the Tenaya Lake outlet.
June 20, 2012 11:57PM
yosemitejim

Why introduce yet another man made structure where none is needed?
June 21, 2012 12:51AM
LVRAY
yosemitejim

Because the water is bloody cold and waist deep some times.
June 21, 2012 07:41PM
wherever
LVRAY
yosemitejim

Because the water is bloody cold and waist deep some times.

So are a lot of stream crossings in the Sierra. Should we bridge them all? Why no just put roads to some of the closer lakes - make it even easier. Do we really need a bridge for the short time period each year when crossing is inconvenient? If someone really can't cross it without introducing a bridge, they need to stay home on their sofa.
June 22, 2012 07:06AM
A bridge really doesn't make much sense anyway.
In VERY high water the area is a lake... and as you said the high
doesn't last long and the crossing is anything but dangerous.
Plus... currently there is a bridge further downstream already now...
people just don't know about it...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 22, 2012 08:15AM
Anybody think I'm over-reacting here or does this seem to be the beginning of turning stretches of the Tioga Road in to the same sort of vehicular nightmare that the Valley has been for much of each year?

I thought the same thing. I am a big supports of the Conservancy and donate to them regularly. I did voice my concerns to them in smailmail (got a form response back) and email (never heard one thing back on that one).

As for a bridge spanning Tenaya Lake outlet, I admit I have selfishly wanted to see them build one, especially in ridiculously high snow years, like last year. But I don't want more man made structures in Yosemite, even if it benefits me on occasion. It's not a dangerous stream crossing at all and the water is always st a standstill.

If you want to advocate a bridge in the Sierras, then they desperately need to rebuild the downed bridges above Convct Lake leading to Lake Dorothy and the South Fork Bridge above Big Pine. Those are dangerous crossings which can kill a hiker attempting to cross them(especially Convict Lake!). The Tenaya Lake outlet will just make you soaking wet. It won't harm you crossing it.
June 23, 2012 07:55AM
chick-on
A bridge really doesn't make much sense anyway.
In VERY high water the area is a lake... and as you said the high
doesn't last long and the crossing is anything but dangerous.
Plus... currently there is a bridge further downstream already now...
people just don't know about it...

How far below the present trail crossing and is this bridge located and is it still usable when the area is basically a small lake?
June 22, 2012 09:40AM
My original thinking was that there are numerous bridges on stream crossings. I suppose that most of those eliminate dangerous crossings that could lead to injury or death. The Tenaya outlet is relatively tame, and I don't think that anyone will ever be injured there.
June 20, 2012 06:14PM
What are people's opinions on this work? When it was first announced, I saw that they were building new parking areas to make it possible for tour buses to park there and, to me, that is the exact opposite of "restoration" much less the "conserving" that the so-called Conservancy claims to be doing. That, in combination with what seemed to be an astronomical sum to do a relatively small amount of work (coming right after the nearly half-million-dollar (IIRC) restoration of the attractive and historically interesting but fundamentally pretty small and simple Wawona fountain) made me feel that the Conservancy was spending way too much money and, at least in the case of a lot of the Tenaya work, spending it on stuff I'd rather see left undone and, after many years of contributing regularly to them, I've stopped writing those checks, at least until I'm convinced that their goals are more in line with mine.

Anybody think I'm over-reacting here or does this seem to be the beginning of turning stretches of the Tioga Road in to the same sort of vehicular nightmare that the Valley has been for much of each year?

BTW, I wrote to the Conservancy, spelling out my concerns, when this was first announced and all I got back was an email from an admin-level person saying "I'll let the director know how you feel."
June 20, 2012 09:34PM
DavidK42
What are people's opinions on this work? When it was first announced, I saw that they were building new parking areas to make it possible for tour buses to park there and, to me, that is the exact opposite of "restoration" much less the "conserving" that the so-called Conservancy claims to be doing. That, in combination with what seemed to be an astronomical sum to do a relatively small amount of work (coming right after the nearly half-million-dollar (IIRC) restoration of the attractive and historically interesting but fundamentally pretty small and simple Wawona fountain) made me feel that the Conservancy was spending way too much money and, at least in the case of a lot of the Tenaya work, spending it on stuff I'd rather see left undone and, after many years of contributing regularly to them, I've stopped writing those checks, at least until I'm convinced that their goals are more in line with mine.

BTW, I wrote to the Conservancy, spelling out my concerns, when this was first announced and all I got back was an email from an admin-level person saying "I'll let the director know how you feel."

The better route would have been to submit comments during the comment period to the NPS not the Conservancy. If you do that I can guarentee you that they read it. Even though the Conservancy is paying for some of the Tenaya work and other projects, it is the park that decides what is actually done and that is who comments should be addressed to. Go to the www.nps.gov.yose and click on the section called management and that will get you to all of the plans that have come out. Unfortunately, the comment period for Tenaya has past but you can go and see what people said. If you are interesting in getting an email notice when plans come out you can go to that section and add your email to the list. This is how I am able to keep up with what is coming up.
June 20, 2012 09:32PM
While I'm all for preserving natural conditions and introducing native plants, my preference is for not adding signage or picnic tables. Missed the public comment period, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login