Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Sierra Point

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sierra Point
August 04, 2012 10:38AM
Thanks to everyone who has posted on Sierra Point. My daughter and I were able to find the trail pretty easily. We hiked on August 2, and we had the trail to ourselves. I will definitely do this hike again when the falls are roaring.

One question: Is there a good way around what I call Billy Goat Bluff? Link to the photo is posted below. I found a trail to the right along the rock wall that I followed for a little way, but it didn't seem to have a way up and back to the trail.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/yosemiteaugust2012069.jpg/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 10:21PM by Hiker Dad.
Re: Sierra Point
August 04, 2012 11:15AM
if your talking about the area where it switches back from right to left and has some small "ledges" that are slightly exposed and sandy than I haven't seen another way past it. Haven't looked though
August 04, 2012 11:17AM
up load the photo through http://imageshack.us/ copy the link for "forums" and post it
August 04, 2012 10:23PM
That's exactly the area. I now have posted the link to the photo. Thanks for the help.
August 04, 2012 10:52PM
There is no easier way around that place. The use trail that you saw has been made by other people failing to find a way around it.
August 05, 2012 07:35AM
Hi, I have a question in particular to this section of the trail. I was able to find the trail head and the first sections of the hike pretty easily but had to cut the hike short due to darkness. When reaching this point, do I just head straight up the trail and from there in what direction does the trail go in?
August 05, 2012 08:07AM
Yes -- straight up and then a series of switchbacks, steps, and a few sections of regular trail that generally work from left to right towards Nevada and Vernal falls.
October 28, 2012 01:20AM
Climbed most of the way today, past the 2nd rock fall and up some stone stairs, then turned back because the sun was setting. Great exercise.
From the Rock Pile sign, my iPhone said the trail sets out at 74 degrees NE. If you are not following cairns thru the big rocks (every 50-100 feet), there is probably an easier way. I scrambled up a bunch of loose rocks and earth on a 50 degree slope, came upon a cable, briefly, but this was way harder than needed to be. Follow the cairns for easier trail.
Can still get your adrenaline going in a couple of spots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 01:40AM by trailblazer.
August 05, 2012 09:17PM
This is not a casual hike for the inexperienced. Route finding and sturdy footwork is required. But the payoff is worth it!The view from Sierra Point is worth the effort! There is nothing like seeing the classic Yosemite sights from a different angle. From here you look down on Vernal and Nevada Falls, Illilouette across the way, and Yosemite Falls across the Valley.

West Fork Trail the most popular trail on the Coconino National Forest
October 28, 2012 11:50PM
Did you go up recently? If so, please share some pics. I'm curious as to how the current flow is.
October 29, 2012 10:52AM
Not sure who you're asking, but I was there a couple of days ago. Illilouette and Yosemite falls are not flowing, Glacier Pt was closed (briefly due to recent storm) and I just never got around to seeing Vernal or Nevada. I quit the Sierra Pt trail somewhere past the stairs mainly so that I could get back to Tunnel View in time for the rising of the full moon. I'm sure Vernal and Nevada falls are minimal, from what I heard of last season's snowfall, but the Merced never completly dries up and that's whats coming over Vernal and Nevada.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login