Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

The valley has 4g!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The valley has 4g!
February 15, 2013 06:13AM
On at&t. Got a respectable 2.1 mbps download speed in camp 4. Suspect it is faster nearer the village.
Re: The valley has 4g!
February 15, 2013 04:31PM
That's great. We have Verizon and I will check it out next time we are there. Hope you are having fun.
February 16, 2013 01:49PM
I'm pretty sure that Rod was using AT&T's 4G data network.

Verizon Wireless does NOT have data coverage inside Yosemite Valley. For Verizon, its free voice (and text) roaming is provided by Golden State Cellular. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, data roaming is NOT available through Golden State Cellular's CDMA network.

February 16, 2013 03:40PM
Yes, I know that Verizon goes through Golden State but we never tried data roaming since my son and husband just got iPhones so I was unaware that Golden State did not supply data roaming. We are able to get 3G from Verizon on iPhones when we are in the upper section of Yosemite West. I don't have a smart phone but I can sent picture texts at the Henness Ridge Fire Lookout but can't do that from the valley.
May 29, 2013 09:59PM
Hm. I'm on Verizon and have gotten email through on my iPhone 4 last year when camping. I even was able to tether and let a friend use my Verizon service (she was on Sprint) so she could check work email. I thought long ago I requested data roaming privileges (included with my plan, but for some inexplicable reason not activated until I called). It's worked. It's just that Verizon 3G data (EVDO) is pitifully slow compared to decent HSPA+. My hubby has confirmed his Verizon Droid also got data, slowly, yes, but did. In the Valley.
May 30, 2013 01:00AM
It's not Verizon's 3G data network in Yosemite Valley. It's Golden State Cellular's 3G network.

Most people's Verizon's plans do not include data roaming so they can't use Golden State Cellular's data network within Yosemite Valley, but it looks like your Verizon plan does, which is a plus. But as you noted, it's quite slow.

February 17, 2013 01:30AM
Just be glad it works at all!
My new Virgin Mobile phone doesn't work at all in Yosemite!!
February 17, 2013 01:53PM
qumqats

Don't they use Sprint towers?
February 17, 2013 02:46PM
eeek
qumqats

Don't they use Sprint towers?

I think they're a sub-set of the Sprint network. i.e. They're Sprint, but not ALL of it.
February 17, 2013 02:49PM
qumqats
I think they're a sub-set of the Sprint network. i.e. They're Sprint, but not ALL of it.

That would explain why I was able to get 3G on my Kindle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login