Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Koip Peak last weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 21, 2013 02:40PM
Saturday I headed up to Parker Pass, a couple passes south of Tioga. Real neat area, first time I ever explored it. Nice with all the snow, had it all to myself. I went up Koip Peak and came out via Spillway & Bingaman Lakes.

Some more shots here: http://www.qitnl.com/v/051813/
Re: Koip Peak last weekend
May 21, 2013 02:51PM
Gorgeous shots! That area is a favorite! Thank you thank you for sharing! Very tasty!
avatar Re: Koip Peak last weekend
May 21, 2013 04:44PM
I love those photos. I really areas like that......... the ones that make me feel small and insignificant. My wife takes macros and 'texture' photos, I prefer to take 'Big Vistas'. Thanks for the report.
May 21, 2013 04:52PM
Great stuff. Gotta get up there soon.
May 21, 2013 06:29PM
That's a nice area, thanks for posting. I've been there once, had crappy views of Mono Lake due to weather...I need to go back.

Shocking how little snow there is there in mid-May.
May 21, 2013 08:07PM
ttilley
Shocking how little snow there is there in mid-May.

Be careful judging snow levels based on the Mono/Parker/Koip Peak Pass area--for some reason, it melts out here much earlier than surrounding areas. I remember a trip we did where Koip Peak Pass was clear of snow, but there was a ton of snow around Alger Lakes, Gem Pass (north side), and much of Donohue Pass.
May 21, 2013 08:43PM
Sure. I was thinking of my trip (many years ago, mid June, drought year) when the trail was clear to Parker Pass, then just on the other side I hit snow and postholed...and when I pulled my leg up I saw the bottom of the hole about 10 feet down or so. Then later the weather graupled upon me.

I found oakroscoe's report interesting...75% snow down to Wilma. When I went to Fourth of July the last weekend of April I saw just patches of snow on the south-facing ridge separating the Woods Creek and Truckee River drainages. Lots more snow on the south-facing slopes leading down to Summit City Creek.
May 21, 2013 06:57PM
Awesome pics. Gotta get there.
May 21, 2013 08:25PM
Awesome photos!
Can you tell us what each one is, other than the obvious Parker Pass sign and the view of Mono lake I'm a little lost.
May 22, 2013 07:34AM
#1 is northern portion of kuna crest... the jaggies on the right... on this side of that... below you will find Helen
#2 a sign
#3 Mono
#4 Mt. Conness
#5 from the foreground you have Gaylor... then Shepherds... Virginia... Whorl... Sawtooths... pretty sure Twin is on right
#6 White Mtns with Parker and Wood in fore
#7 Lyell Mac
#8 looking sooth
#9 cornice
#10 looks like Mammoth to me
#11 Spillway with Kuna Crest in b/g
#12 Dana w/Bingamin

Joe loves the supa zoom

I dunno peeps irritated at more links or not... but here you go

Kuna Crest:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,48323,48323#msg-48323

Parker and beyond:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,27023,27023#msg-27023

A couple basils:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,46203,46203#msg-46203
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,58326,58326#msg-58326

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 22, 2013 08:37AM
Thanks chick-on!
May 22, 2013 09:26AM
chick-on

I dunno peeps irritated at more links or not... but here you go

Irritated? Never! I appreciate them. The links are like 'report extenders' that lead me to additional information.

Although I must say it's a bit like the movie Inception......invariably the post your link leads me to has additional links to other posts with links, to other posts with links, to other posts with links...........

"We have to go deeper"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 09:42AM by JasonS.
May 22, 2013 09:46AM
Yes, and invariably it has the same habit of warping time as you read deeper into the web of threads.
May 22, 2013 09:38AM
Mammoth is in the center right of pic #8...
May 24, 2013 06:53PM
Very nice. What type of lens are you using / what focal length are most of these taken at?

I was *this* close to doing Koip/Gibbs last weekend, but ended up doing Pyramid and Freel up in the Tahoe Basin instead.
May 24, 2013 07:34PM
A little old point and shoot, Panasonic/Lumix DMC-ZS7. Some of the long shots with full zoom, 16x, whatever that might be.

I'd like to see your shots of Pyramid & Freel, they must look nice with a little snow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login