Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Re: suggestions for a better route from Nelson to Rafferty?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

suggestions for a better route from Nelson to Rafferty?
August 12, 2013 10:03PM
I hiked from Nelson lake to Rafferty Creek trail via Reymann lake last weekend. The following images show the locations I passed by. The lines between points do not indicate my track, but the pushpins indicate the exact spots I was at. Does anyone have suggestions for a better route? Specifically, are there any use trails or cairns I missed? During the whole hike there was really one cairn I saw and that was at the western edge of the little basin holding the Raymann lake, just at the spot where the creek out of the lake starts flowing down. I didn't see anyone on the trail after I left Nelson lake until I saw hikers on Rafferty creek trail.

1. From Nelson lake, I moved to the western/left edge of the valley, and followed a narrow creek up. There seemed to be an use trail here, some footprints here and there, and I kept going up under the trees.

2. From Nelson lake valley, going up the hill to the edge of the basin holding Reymann lake.

3. Around the south of Reymann lake, to the trees and up towards the pass

4. Downhill from the pass (a few pools)

5. Downhill from the pools, although the line is straight, that is not the track I took, I followed the creek for the most part.

6. Approaching Rafferty creek trail

Re: suggestions for a better route from Nelson to Rafferty?
August 12, 2013 10:38PM
Not sure what you mean by better route? Your route looks just fine.
I have gone this way a couple of times. Easy cross country travel. Never seen a use trail or cairns, which is just the way I like it.
avatar Re: suggestions for a better route from Nelson to Rafferty?
August 12, 2013 10:47PM
Ditto. Knock the cairns down. It's cross country. No need for a trail. Spread out and don't make one.
Have gone to the right (east of Nelson) and up... nice views there... also try to stay out of the trees in open
granite whenever possible. Or walk ridge lines (i.e. go up and over Johnson and down) (and nix Raffarty entirely)
LNT ... please

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login