Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sierra weather in the fall

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sierra weather in the fall
September 17, 2013 07:09AM
For you guys that go to the Sierra all year long, how do you get the best weather picture three or four days in advance and especially from hundreds of miles away?

We are heading up week after next for a quick weekend in the high country. We will be prepared for most weather and would love to get the best idea before we set off.

Thanks!
avatar Re: Sierra weather in the fall
September 17, 2013 07:40AM
The only one I look at is

intellicast.com

type in Yosemite National Park and good to go
clicky on detailed extended forecast...

Look day before going in fall and winta and early spring

(note: it hasn't let me down yet) (although if it says 30% ... then be prepared for rain)
(and for snow after Oct. 1)

Now.... gets ready for the weather.com and other posts. tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Sierra weather in the fall
September 17, 2013 07:56AM
The National Weather Serivce (weather.gov) has 'point forecasts' - you can click on a specific location and get a 'grid' forecast, about 1 or 2 km square (so the altitudes might be approximated in areas of extreme topography, watch that...).

For example, here's Tuolumne Meadows: Tuolumne Meadows Forecast. That topo map in the middle-right is draggable and clickable - assuming you're on a desktop it works great. It's possible but painful to get it to work on an iPad.

3 or 4 days out...there may or may not be some uncertainty. So...lower left of the page, note the Forecast Discussion link - it brings up the technical discussion, from which you might get a sense of how uncertain the forecast is, and what the range of that uncertainty is (e.g.: 30% chance of rain could mean a high likelihood of scattered showers covering 30% of the area, or it could mean a 30% chance of a widespread dump and 70% of sun). Hanford Weather Office Forecast Discussion.
September 17, 2013 08:44AM
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/forecast.php

Read the AFD (area forecast discussions) for Hanford, Sacramento, Reno. Then under each look at the Zone forecasts for specific Sierra regions.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
September 17, 2013 08:54PM
For weather on the east side along highway 395 (Mammoth, Bishop and Indepence or even Tuolomne Meadows) I like Dennis Mattinson's forecast. It can be found at http://395travel.com/ .
September 17, 2013 09:31PM
Thanks!! These are great.I will be studying these heavily for the next ten days until my next trip.
September 18, 2013 09:06AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login