Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Daily Pictures

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 29, 2010 09:50PM
After reading through that RAW vs JPEG thread it has remotivated (not a word?) me to start processing photos that I've never even gone through from my trips. I'm going to make it my early New Year's resolution to try and go through at least three photos per day and post them here smiling smiley Others should join me cause I love seeing photos and hearing the stories behind them!
December 30, 2010 07:02AM
Sweet.
(3 Photos per day would take me bout 38 years to complete what I gotz already)
(good thing my camera no shoot in RAW)

Looking forward to your Table Lake Pix.

My Newz Year Resolutions are something like:
- Spend less time on Compooper goofing
- Spend less time on yosemitenews.inshmos
- Spend more time hiking
- Take more trips than 2010
- Stop and smell the roses more often
- Befriend a Marmot
- Continue to pester The Old Dude

All of these will be incredibly difficult... cept the last one...

Happy New Year
Chick-on is looking at you!

January 05, 2011 08:46AM
(message deleted)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 08:48AM by tanngrisnir3.
January 05, 2011 08:50AM
(Stupid effing formatting issues)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 08:53AM by tanngrisnir3.
December 30, 2010 08:23PM
Yeah, if I do just three photos a day it would take me years to do as well. However, I just set a low number so that even on days when I'm not feeling motivated I'll at least get some done if I set myself a goal. Really, I want to try and get as many done per day as possible. I'll try to do it in somewhat chronological order.

My first set of photos is going to be from 2006 during a mountain ecology study in Colorado that I did with school. All the pictures were just JPEGs from my old Canon A520 point and shoot that I've cropped, sharpened, leveled, etc...

East Inlet Trail for Grand Lake:

Cabin in Pingree Park:

Hummingbird and mountain view from Estes:

Some alpine lake from Trail Ridge Road:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 08:24PM by dqniel.
January 01, 2011 08:31AM
Just picked up the LWA-52 attachment at Samy's Camera on Fairfax in LA on Thursday, for my trip today the Owens Valley, and I thought I'd try it out last night before we left this morning. I should have opened the box at the store. The coating on the outer lens has a tear/scar in it, and, as you'll see, it showed up in the photos. Grrrrrrrrr....... To top it off, Samy's is closed on NYD (today). I won't be able to return it until Sunday. Eh, it's my first trip back to Bishop w/the LX5, so not all is lost.

The 18mm WA function is great, but it can be VERY frustrating in framing, since the camera disables any zoom function, and with the attachment on picks up a LOT more area in frame, often including things one doesn't want, esp. at the peripheries, so I had to aim (as you'll see) UP a lot. One can have it attached and disable the attachment setting in the menu, but I have not yet experimented w/that.

Sunset from Fort MacArthur (I think that's its name) looking at Catalina Island. The gap you see is the isthmus where the hamlet of Two Harbors is located.

The Korean Friendship Bell. I did nothing to this in PP except a wee bit of contrast work. The light really looked like this.

Here's where the rip really shows, above the temple. Grrrrrrrrr........

January 01, 2011 08:51AM
I really like the last one. Very unfortunate about the lens defect sad smiley Nothing more frustrating than getting a new piece of gear that doesn't work properly. I'm on my second Pentax K-r now and will probably be on my third soon. The first had focus and control issues, and this one has a battery indicator issue.

Always look forward to your shots tann
January 01, 2011 06:15PM
Trail Ridge Road

Trail Ridge Road

Grand Lake East Inlet Trail

Grand Lake East Inlet Trail

Elkhead Reservoir Wetlands (If I remember correctly)

Mt. Evans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 06:16PM by dqniel.
January 02, 2011 08:58PM
On top of Mt Evans:

Observatory on Mt Evans:

Baby goat looking off Mt Evans:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2011 08:59PM by dqniel.
January 03, 2011 08:51PM
Mt Evans clouds rolling out:

Bristlecone Pine (1,700 years old I believe) on Mt Evans:

Mine tailings and subsequent acidic pollution in Leadville, CO:

Closeup of the corrosive power:

January 04, 2011 08:32AM
dqniel
Mine tailings and subsequent acidic pollution in Leadville, CO:

Closeup of the corrosive power:

I've always wanted to go to Leadville. I've got a friend from HS who's crazy enough to compete in some insane endurance race they have there every year.
January 04, 2011 10:34AM
It's a really interesting place. Beautiful mountain views, great bike paths, incredible geology, a good museum, and a lot of colorful locals in the saloons and restaurants.
January 04, 2011 10:08PM
Mountain Goat:

Abandoned mining site in Leadville:

Newly paved bike path at about 10,000-11,000ft through the abandoned mines of Leadville:

More abandoned mining buildings:

January 05, 2011 08:53AM
Not exactly really high mountains, but it was the last recent trip to a mountain-y area. THREE others (Big Sur, Texas and Owens Valley) in the past month were ruined due to really bad weather.

The Salton Sea.

Because of the MASSIVE layer of bird/fish shit right on the water line (which one discovers by walking up to it......) This.........

became this.....

The derelict North Side Yacht Club harbor

It's a ghostly, otherworldly place, and I'll be returning to it this weekend.
January 05, 2011 10:34AM
weird place. I really like the colors in the first one.
January 09, 2011 06:32PM
Welp, missed a few days so I need to do at least twelve tonight.

I'll be switching gears since I got through my favorites from that Colorado trip. Time to post some stuff from around Cincinnati. Not the most exciting place in terms of landscapes, but there is some interesting weather and a few wildlife pictures I have that shouldn't be too bad.

DSC00610 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC00582 old by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC00499_tonemapped by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC00534 by dqniel, on Flickr

lightning 3 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC00897 (resize) by dqniel, on Flickr

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2011 10:14PM by dqniel.
January 09, 2011 06:37PM
Ugh, fotki is resizing everything now when it wasn't before. Why are all image hosts so confusing?
January 09, 2011 10:14PM
Switched to Flickr after Fotki refused to let me upload without resizing for some reason. Post above is fixed

DSC00937 (resize) by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01216 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01204 by dqniel, on Flickr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2011 10:15PM by dqniel.
January 09, 2011 10:18PM

P1010038 by dqniel, on Flickr

P1010021 by dqniel, on Flickr

P1000998 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 10, 2011 11:42AM
Some very nice macro work!
January 10, 2011 10:11PM
Switching gears again, and back to 2007 for my first road trip. We went south through KY, TN, MS, and LA on our way to our first stop in Houston. Stayed with a friend for a few days there and then went onward, west through TX...

Open road

DSC01345 by dqniel, on Flickr

They like to paint on their hillsides there?

DSC01365 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01371 by dqniel, on Flickr

More hill letters

DSC01384 by dqniel, on Flickr

A cross off in the distance, heavily cropped

DSC01391 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 11, 2011 06:38AM
dqniel
Switching gears again, and back to 2007 for my first road trip. We went south through KY, TN, MS, and LA on our way to our first stop in Houston. Stayed with a friend for a few days there and then went onward, west through TX...

Open road

DSC01345 by dqniel, on Flickr

They like to paint on their hillsides there?

DSC01365 by dqniel, on Flickr

Ha! Lucky you! We just drove by the exact same places over Xmas, from LA to Dallas and back, in 5 days (3 driving, 2 there) and had zero time to stop and take any pics, although I really wanted to, esp. between that huge, steaming turd of the west, El Paso and, say, roughly Kent. Hell, I want to photograph part of the industrial pollution hell that IS El Paso, with Cement factories and chemical plants practically downtown.

Lovely first shot of the long mesa, and I feel for those trying to eek out a life in Sierra Blanca.
January 11, 2011 04:00PM
Nice shots, I'm not a fan of the heavy vignetting that seems to be all the rage these days.
January 11, 2011 08:47AM
We didn't stop at all, other than for gas/food, between Houston and just south of Albuquerque, NM. Lots and lots of boring driving, although I'd still take it over driving through most areas of the Midwest.

All the pictures above were taken from a moving car while my friends were driving, heh. The first planned stop after Houston was the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest. Those will be in my next post, I think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 08:53AM by dqniel.
January 17, 2011 05:37PM
Whelp, got behind again. Time for catch-up. I'm not too proud of these photos because they were from my first time using a DSLR and I really messed up on metering and properly setting the aperture. I was trying to salvage photos that had the aperture set way too small and the exposure way too low. The contrast and exposure were very difficult to fix without causing it to look cartoonish, and I did my best, but some of them turned out a bit "painterly" which is an effect I did not want. I hate the look of pastel HDR photos, and some of these are bordering that sad smiley Oh well, you live and you learn in photography!

The first sight of "mountains" (more of big hills, but it was still exciting in comparison to what we had been driving through):

DSC01395 by dqniel, on Flickr

First shot of the painted desert:

DSC01412 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01413 vert by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01413 bottom by dqniel, on Flickr

My two friends that came on the trip and myself. I'm in the middle:

DSC01414 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01421 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 17, 2011 05:39PM

DSC01420 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01425 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01428 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01433 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01435 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01430 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 17, 2011 05:41PM

DSC01441 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01443 by dqniel, on Flickr

DSC01454 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 17, 2011 05:50PM
I suggest you start a new thread, maybe one a week. Each time I come to this thread, I have to load all the photos. After a while, that is really going to be slow.
January 17, 2011 08:25PM
hotrod4x5
I suggest you start a new thread, maybe one a week. Each time I come to this thread, I have to load all the photos. After a while, that is really going to be slow.

Use the threaded view to avoid that.
January 17, 2011 05:59PM
Not a bad idea. I could do the weekly thing. I don't have the loading issue since I have the cache in Firefox set pretty high, but I could see people without a large cache or with slower internet having issues. The weekly dividing could avoid that.

My original intent was for other people to partake and post a few daily photos, which could all be kept in one thread for easy access. However, others are only posting their own photos from time to time sad smiley
January 18, 2011 09:03AM
dqniel
Not a bad idea. I could do the weekly thing. I don't have the loading issue since I have the cache in Firefox set pretty high, but I could see people without a large cache or with slower internet having issues. The weekly dividing could avoid that.

My original intent was for other people to partake and post a few daily photos, which could all be kept in one thread for easy access. However, others are only posting their own photos from time to time sad smiley

I'd love to post more, but my heavy photo-travel season doesn't usually start for about a week, although I AM happy w/those November first snow in YV pics. There just hasn't been much to show yet, but I'll be in the Owens Valley a LOT now (most weekends until, say, May), including Death Valley, the Mojave, etc... and we're going back to Antelope Canyon/the Wave again this year. Not my fave, but just to give you a taste of it.....

And I call this one, "How to piss off photography/camera snobs"

January 26, 2011 05:43PM
dqniel

Keep posting please.

I actually took a picture for you early last spring... but I think you went AWOL for a long time... and never posted it.
Maybe I will find it tonight...

January 18, 2011 09:45AM
Haha. I love it. The LX3 and LX5 are great tools for the price if you're shooting landscapes. My LX3 has a failing CCD, however, which is making me quite angry. Had it for just over a year, and the CCD is only covered by warranty for 90 days, when I started seeing a vertical "hot" line of pixels in every shot at ISOs above 200. Now it's starting to happen at all ISOs. Pretty sad that a premium camera like the LX3 doesn't have a warranty for longer than three months on such an expensive, important part of the camera.
January 18, 2011 10:10AM
dqniel
Haha. I love it. The LX3 and LX5 are great tools for the price if you're shooting landscapes. My LX3 has a failing CCD, however, which is making me quite angry. Had it for just over a year, and the CCD is only covered by warranty for 90 days, when I started seeing a vertical "hot" line of pixels in every shot at ISOs above 200. Now it's starting to happen at all ISOs. Pretty sad that a premium camera like the LX3 doesn't have a warranty for longer than three months on such an expensive, important part of the camera.

Ow! That WOULD suck. I LOVE my LX5 and have had fantastic results with that surpassed my expectations. Just wait for DxO to release LX5 optimized Optics Pro this February and I'm going to start working all those RAW files I've kept on ice.

So far my LX5 has been nothing but utter and total quality. The only bad part was I got that WA attachment (another's on the way!) and it had that rip in the coating.

I'd really, really like to go higher end w/a GH2, but the girlfriend works w/a 5D and has all that pricey glass/lenses to go with it, so I'll likely end up getting a 7D body this year and avoid having to buy all those Panny equivalent lenses and just use what she has.
January 18, 2011 11:49AM
Yep, glass is the pricey part if you want the best. I would think Canon would be releasing some substantially improved cameras this year since everything they have done for the past few years has been mostly small increments in quality. Sony's A55/A580, Pentax's K5, and Nikon's D7000 have all upped the APS-C ante. The dynamic range and shadow detail of Sony's sensor used in all those cameras is just on another level in comparison to other APS-C sensors, but I expect Canon to release a big update soon.

Hopefully your LX5 lasts longer than my LX3 smiling smiley I really enjoyed it while it lasted.
January 26, 2011 07:34PM
I have been really busy with school the past week, but my last class of the semester was tonight so I should be able to work on some photos tomorrow or Friday.

I hope you find the photo you're talking about cause I'd like to see it Chick-on smiling smiley
January 26, 2011 08:56PM
dqniel
I have been really busy with school the past week, but my last class of the semester was tonight so I should be able to work on some photos tomorrow or Friday.

I hope you find the photo you're talking about cause I'd like to see it Chick-on smiling smiley

It's not super duper great... It was blazingly bright that day and before 8am on the first day of Summer.
June 20, 2010
It was also colder that morning than either of the last two weekends (granted was at 9500 ft. in June, but still...)
No clouds in the sky... o well... gotta take it when I'm there.
Anyway, here it is... hope it makes sense why (if not, I'll explain):

January 27, 2011 01:14PM
Is that just underneath Unicorn? Seems awfully similar to:

wink

Might be my favorite experience in the park...

It's neat to see it still under snow. Beautiful pic. I didn't get to go all the way up there when I returned the following year in May because my father didn't have the right kind of shoes for going up the trail in snow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 01:20PM by dqniel.
January 27, 2011 09:47PM
That's it. Sweet. So nice. (and I love all the others too btw) (esp. the Painted Desert)
I didn't have any special gear... just regular hiking shoes and low gaiters.
(ok... I had crampons... but I was lazy and didn't want to wear real boots... so that was
just a waste of me carrying extra weight).
But yeah, everyone doesn't like that sorta hiking.

I must have put a link to the set of photos from that trip b/c there's a large number of views.
In case you missed it it's here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Matthes

O.. and prob. start a different "Daily Pict." thread... eeek made the default view flat now.

Thanks!
Chick-on avec les pieds

January 28, 2011 06:51PM
Well, when I say my dad didn't have the proper gear, I mean he had open-toed sandals Head roll

I think I'll just post one picture per post so that less pictures get loaded per page. That way people don't have as much scrolling and loading to do for the updates? Seems like that would work. I don't want to clutter up the whole photography section with threads dedicated to myself :p
January 30, 2011 04:45PM

DSC01457 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 30, 2011 04:45PM

DSC01460 by dqniel, on Flickr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 04:46PM by dqniel.
January 30, 2011 04:46PM

DSC01459 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 30, 2011 04:47PM

DSC01462 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 30, 2011 06:42PM
Sweet.

I was wondering if the TMNT would appear again. wink
(Looks like they made it to above Elizabeth... )

Keep on Posting

January 30, 2011 06:46PM
I have wayyyyy too many Painted Desert pictures. I'll be through them soon, though. The ones I took before leaving were much better, so at least they're getting better instead of worse as I'm going through these. And yes, Craig (the guy in the TMNT shirt) wore that t-shirt a lot on that trip. We all wore a lot of the same shirts I think, not many laundry opportunities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 06:48PM by dqniel.
January 30, 2011 09:13PM
January 30, 2011 09:14PM

DSC01464 by dqniel, on Flickr
January 30, 2011 09:14PM

DSC01463 by dqniel, on Flickr
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login