Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Chowchilla Mountain Road

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 28, 2009 12:26PM
The road has some small trees that have fallen into the roadway , causing small hazards . These trees will be removed this morning.The road is rutted but not severely enough to warrant continued closure. Road is open as of this morning.
avatar Re: Chowchilla Mountain Road
April 28, 2009 01:15PM
Any of you ever drive this road?
April 28, 2009 01:46PM
eeek
Any of you ever drive this road?

Should we be driving this road? What are we missing?
April 28, 2009 01:53PM
I've never done it. So whatever I'm missing is missing.
April 29, 2009 02:10AM
You are missing an opportunity to drive one of the old stage roads from the Mariposa area to Wawona, past a pretty neat USFS campground at Summit Camp, the site of Murphy's (where the Chowchilla Mtn. Road and the road to Fish Camp meet), the crossing of Big Creek where bordellos by the names of Tipperary and Happy Camp operated, logging railroad grades, bedrock mortars, at least one Indian camp, a logging camp dump, to name just a few.

When I worked in Wawona, I would drive over the mountain to bypass Oakhurst, come out near the auto junkyard and drive to Mariposa.

A very worthwhile drive.
April 29, 2009 10:55AM
Dearborn:

I'm glad I asked. I'll keep that in mind when I'm in that area.

I'm more often on the 120 side. Do you have any recommendations along hwy 120?
April 29, 2009 11:37AM
RobE
I'm more often on the 120 side. Do you have any recommendations along hwy 120?

Have you used the Coulterville Road?
April 30, 2009 01:42AM
I should be asking you about Highway 120. I have been on it a number of times, but I don't know the road very well. After studying several options, I decided to approach Coulterville from the west, then to Greeley Hill and Highway 120 east of Groveland. I was pulling a 19' RV, and that seemed to be the easiest way at the time. Otherwise, I prefer the Arch Rock entrance without an RV, and South Entrance with a trailer.

I used to hunt and camp in the Summit Camp area, traveled to and from Wawona and explored several areas on the road, and have no reservations in recommending that others look into it. It requires a slow and cautious approach, but I believe you will like it.
May 01, 2009 06:49PM
Dearborn
I should be asking you about Highway 120. I have been on it a number of times, but I don't know the road very well.

Happy to help if I can.

Dearborn
I used to hunt and camp in the Summit Camp area, traveled to and from Wawona and explored several areas on the road, and have no reservations in recommending that others look into it. It requires a slow and cautious approach, but I believe you will like it.

Slow and cautious?? I probably won't like it.

I'm still traumatized from driving Wards Ferry Road. (A direct route between Big Oak Flat and the Sonora area.) Very narrow, with a nice abrupt drop over the side. It should be one way, but it's not... Oh and there are places to turn out, but if you turn out too far, you will go too far.
May 02, 2009 01:20PM
Rob,

Welcome to the wild west.

Jim
May 04, 2009 01:08PM
tomdisco
Welcome to the wild west.

There are pockets of the old west still remaining. The area has a number of active ranches, complete with seasonal cattle drives. Ghost towns. Remnants of gold stamp mills and mines.
April 29, 2009 06:13PM
Which one? There is one between Coulterville and Priest. I've driven that one.

There is another road from Coulterville to Groveland (actually east of Groveland).
I've taken that one between Groveland and Greely Hill.

There is Old Highway 120. I think that is an old stage road, but more developed
than Chowchilla Mountain Road. That is probably the most interesting of the
three.
April 29, 2009 10:41PM
RobE
There is another road from Coulterville to Groveland (actually east of Groveland).

That's the one I did last month. We were heading back to Oakhurst and it was a nice shortcut. Made the GPS whine though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login