All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mt Shasta Forum
April 30, 2009 08:22AM
Hi Everyone,

I took a one day class just recently up at shasta, and also camped there at horse camp followed by a hike/climb to helen lake. Last year when discussing a climb of mt whitney (still scheduled for may 30), some of you not only suggested some training, but also pointed me to a great web forum, the whitney portal. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a good forum for shasta; which surprises me because it's such a popular place. I'd like to summit shasta, but just like yosemite and whitney, it's a good idea to get info from those experienced with the location. Anyone know of a good forum for shasta. I've run into a couple, but there's almost no traffic on them.

Love the mountain.

Thanks
April 30, 2009 09:41AM
Shasta may only have 5-10 people a day doing the summit at least from the Helen Lake side so probably not a large enough base to keep a forum active plus not too many people go back year after year. I tried twice to summit and was blown off each time. I doubt I'll be back.
You've probably seen these site but what the heck:
http://www.climbingmtshasta.org/
http://www.shastaguides.com/

Old Dude
Re: Mt Shasta Forum
April 30, 2009 10:37AM
Thanks Mrcondron,

Yeah I've already checked those sites. You're probably right. I saw 5 people attempting to summit last Sunday, and that was on a day when it was downright balmy. Probably 50-60 degrees at helen lake. Not a cloud in the sky. Amazingly, just the day before, several groups came back down complaining about 50mph winds and ice cold temps. at helen lake. They got so thrashed they came back down without a summit try. Same story two weeks earlier. And even though it was quite cold in camp the morning we went up, about 17 degrees, by the time I got to helen lake, covered in sweat, I was half-expecting a waiter to come over and ask me if I'd like a margarita or a mojito. Can't trust some mountains.

I wanted to find out if 10 point crampons and stiff hiking boots would be appropriate for a Spring attempt on shasta. First time wearing plastic mountaineering boots and 12 point crampons. Very heavy stuff.
April 30, 2009 04:52PM
I'm thinking that you'd be best off contacting one of the guide services or a mountaineering equipment shop near Shasta. All I've heard indicates they are very willing to offer any advice.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login