All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Which one is Mount Whitney?
May 01, 2009 09:46PM

(hint...it's to the upper right, where I hang out)
avatar Re: Which one is Mount Whitney?
May 02, 2009 06:45AM
What has this become?

The "I love Whitney forum"?
Grinning Devil

Since you love her so much. Here she is from the other side. Timberline Lake.
Summit... 2 1/2 hours away... smiling smiley (um... ok.. next morning tho)

May 02, 2009 10:01AM
Goatie, is your picture taken from the west side (I am not that familiar with the area). Most of the pictures that I have seen are taken from the more dramatic east side. The lake is pretty, but it's probably c-c-c-cold.

B
Re: Which one is Mount Whitney?
May 02, 2009 10:22AM
Awesome photo... what's the name of the place you took this photo from?
May 02, 2009 11:59AM
Lamb Chop was there long before Vince was:
http://photos.igougo.com/pictures-photos-j14601-s2-p237270-Our_Travel_Companion_Lambchop.html

(Did you think that there wasn't a road? Vince can't carry the Bronco too far.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 05:04PM by szalkowski.
May 02, 2009 10:52AM
You guys are silly... tongue sticking out smiley

But I will answer:
Other side = from West Side with Camera pointing East
Lake = Timberline Lake

Here's looking West from after Trail Crest where you traverse north before climbing
up the slope to the "summit".

Hitchcock Lakes, Guitar Lake, and the furthest little one is Timberline Lake.

You can't see any of them from the very top since it gently slopes up to the top
from the west. There's alot of room up on the top... so much so they even
built a cabin... smiling smiley Probably a few thousand could be up there at once.

May 02, 2009 11:18AM
bill-e-g
You guys are silly... tongue sticking out smiley

We are just suffering from severe (possibly terminal) cabin fever!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 02, 2009 01:28PM
Vince,

If you really blow this up you can just barely see Dale bushwhacking in the middle of your photo.

Jim
May 02, 2009 02:40PM
Yeah, buried in the stuff with the red leaves.

Old Dude
May 02, 2009 03:53PM
We need Sherpas like this on Whitney:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/sherpa_who_led_neil_armstrong_to?utm_source=a-section

Sherpa Who Led Neil Armstrong To Moon Dead At 71
MAY 1, 2009 | ISSUE 45•18
ST. PETERSBURG, FL—Phurba Dorje, the lunar Sherpa guide who blazed the trail for the Apollo 11 astronauts and made it possible for Neil Armstrong to become the first white man to set foot on the moon, died peacefully in his sleep Monday in his Florida apartment. He was 71.
Dorje, whose career with the U.S. space program spanned more than a decade, carried provisions, equipment, and solid rocket fuel on 13 missions in the 1960s and 1970s, but is best known for guiding Armstrong and his crew to Tranquility Base in 1969.
"Without Phurba's invaluable guidance and sturdy legs, I doubt we ever would have made it beyond Earth's atmosphere," Apollo 11 pilot Michael Collins said of the man who strapped the crew's Passive Seismic Experiment Package to his back for all but the last 20 feet of the 238,855-mile journey. "He was a true hero and a wonderful cook."
Following the well-worn path of his ancestors, Dorje and his two yaks hauled dehydrated food, water, space helmets, binders full of flight schematics, and a large silver plaque commemorating the moon landing as he shepherded the astronauts through their historic journey to the moon. Although his efforts are well documented in internal NASA records, Dorje is largely absent from all photographs of the momentous event, as he was also the expedition's unofficial photographer.
In addition to his roles as porter, guide, dishwasher, valet, thruster mechanic, and general manservant, mission archives show that Dorje waited at the bottom of the ladder to help Armstrong—wearing his bulky, awkward space suit—descend to take his historic first steps. For his part, Armstrong has generally avoided the issue of who was the first man on the moon............

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 02, 2009 04:25PM
What ever happened to trying to keep this forum irreverent?

I'm appalled with you 12 people!

(seriously... who the heck came up with "who ha"?... I mean it is so fun to say... yet so... Grinning Devil )
May 02, 2009 04:42PM
bill-e-g
What ever happened to trying to keep this forum irreverent?

I'm doing the best I can!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 02, 2009 04:57PM
Twelve???

(So this is how Dale racks up all those miles.)
May 02, 2009 07:11PM
szalkowski
Twelve???

(So this is how Dale racks up all those miles.)

smiling bouncing smiley

Miles!?!?
O... my bad... I meant kilometers.

In my little brain Mike is worth about 6. winking smiley
May 02, 2009 05:31PM
bill-e-g

(seriously... who the heck came up with "who ha"?... I mean it is so fun to say... yet so... Grinning Devil )

(excuse me, but the little girls next door use the term "woo woo"winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login