Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: I learned something new

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 02, 2009 10:47AM
all the years i've been going to Yosemite, i have never learned the name of the falls right across from Bridalveil... a bus driver told me it was called Ribbon Falls. it isn't a fall that you normally would see unless yer there around the snow melt season. right now it's goig pretty good.
avatar Re: I learned something new
May 02, 2009 11:05AM
It's Ribbon Fall.

smiling bouncing smiley

(and yes! I am bored!)

Myself... I only just saw Staircase Falls a few weeks ago for the first time.
May 04, 2009 10:26PM
Bill;

are you the one with the pet peeve of people calling it Falls instead of Fall? lolol if so, i am guilty of that, it's a hard habit to break.

Like I always say, "if you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".

My Yosemite Blog: http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
May 04, 2009 10:41PM
From an actual dictionary:

• (usu. falls) a waterfall or cascade.

Old Dude
May 04, 2009 10:43PM
mrcondron

The "official" names vary. Mostly it appears to depend on the number of drops.
May 04, 2009 10:48PM
you da man Mike. lol

May 04, 2009 11:14PM
mrcondron

I'll just claim taht its a typo if I forgt an "S" or use an "S", wonrgly

B
May 04, 2009 11:19PM
Bee
mrcondron

I'll just claim taht its a typo if I forgt an "S" or use an "S", wonrgly

B

Take a look at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_waterfalls
May 04, 2009 11:59PM
eeek
[
Take a look at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_waterfalls

For some goofy reason, it looks to me that only Nevada Fall is pronounced "Fall"

B
May 05, 2009 12:03AM
must be a typo. lol

May 05, 2009 12:14AM
Bee
For some goofy reason, it looks to me that only Nevada Fall is pronounced "Fall"

It's missing quite a few falls. Feel free to fix that.
May 05, 2009 06:21AM
forrestranger
Bill;

are you the one with the pet peeve of people calling it Falls instead of Fall? lolol if so, i am guilty of that, it's a hard habit to break.

God no! That was yet another one of my subtle digs.
(and I was not trying to offend you... I WOULD LIKE to see the Sunglasses back though!!!!)

Here it is in all it's g(l)ory:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,6452,page=1

Sierra / Sierras... what-eva...
smiling smiley

Here's a little story... wife and I get back from the Diving Board trip and get to parking lot...
A guy and his buddy drives up. A little chit-chat ensues and he asks where we went...
"diving board"... he says "o, Tissiack"... I say "noooo... the diving board... that's not on
Half Dome... you're thinking the visor..." ... he gets out map... "ah.. ok.. I see it...
had this map 20 years... learn something everyday... cool.."
Moral of the story... it's ok to get it wrong... even if you're trying to be all cool....

Ok... I do have one complaint tho... and that is Google Earth... try clicking on the
pictures... nearly half of them are not in the correct place...

Not trying to sound all high and mighty... I've learned a plenty from this forum which
is why I still stick around...
-Fern Spring
-Sierra Point
-Ledge Trail

Anyway, forrest... ah.. the glasses? please...
May 05, 2009 08:00AM

Ok... I do have one complaint tho... and that is Google Earth... try clicking on the
pictures... nearly half of them are not in the correct place...

I think there is misunderstanding about the pictures. They are suppose to be placed where the photographer was postioned, not the object of the photo. That could put Half Dome at Tunnel View, for instance.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 05, 2009 09:17AM
by popular demand, my glasses are back. lol

May 02, 2009 11:09AM
forrestranger
all the years i've been going to Yosemite, i have never learned the name of the falls right across from Bridalveil... a bus driver told me it was called Ribbon Falls. it isn't a fall that you normally would see unless yer there around the snow melt season. right now it's goig pretty good.

I thought that this was the same named fall that is the (in)famous falls of fire in the ever elusive Firefall phenom?

(I could be confused; it would not be the first time) Confused

B
May 02, 2009 11:24AM
Bee, that's Horsetail.

Looky on your map... to the west of El Cap... you'll see Ribbon Meadow/Ribbon Creek/Ribbon Fall.

Horsetail comes down on the east shoulder of El Cap.

At this time of year from Swinging Bridge you'll be able to see Lehamite Falls which should be running nicely too...
May 02, 2009 11:30AM
bill-e-g
Bee, that's Horsetail.

Looky on your map... to the west of El Cap... you'll see Ribbon Meadow/Ribbon Creek/Ribbon Fall.

Horsetail comes down on the east shoulder of El Cap.

At this time of year from Swinging Bridge you'll be able to see Lehamite Falls which should be running nicely too...

Ah, yes, I see the creek and I see that Ribbon is the further west than the ubiquitous Horsetail.

(it was like Keystone Kops when I was trying to decide which falls was which when I was looking for Firefall....the ranger said "just follow the crowds of tripods"winking smiley
May 02, 2009 12:06PM
bill-e-g

I'm glad that someone else actually looks at their topo maps.

By the way, is that the same Ribbon Fall that is fed by Ribbon Creek that goes through Ribbon Meadow?
(Yeah, I'm bored too. Grass growing, snow melting - it's a tossup.)
May 05, 2009 08:18AM
No misunderstaning on my part:

Here's an example (took about 2 clicks on pictures to find an example...)
(sorry... that's not the view from Eagle Peak)

<http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeyser/TempJunk#5332358228837593714>;

Probably could click on misplaced... but...
May 05, 2009 08:32AM
Need automatic GPS signature on each photo to solve the problem. Any voluntary act or resource of common benefit will be misused. Read the classic essay "Abuse of the Commons".

Alternatively, given my statement and your example, perhaps the problem is just with Tunnel View!!winking smiley

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 05, 2009 09:12AM
Dale is right. I've found numerous photos that were in the wrong location. I've actually succeeded in getting a couple of them relocated or eliminated altogether. For a long time there was one near Toulumne Pass labled "Mt. Dana" which was clearly taken from the peak of Mt. Dana looking east over Mono Lake. There's another one of Vernal Fall somewhere around Tenaya or Cathedral area I've requested be relocated. You stand a greater chance of actually getting them moved if you provide the Lat-Lon coordinates for the correct location.

Like everthing else with Google Earth it takes eons to get anything to happen. In February I posted several photos from last June's trip. They were accepted in March and were supposed to show up in late April. Never happened. I've noticed on the Panoramia forum there are several complaints about new photos not showing up or old ones dissappearing presumably due to Google updates.

Jim
May 05, 2009 01:44PM
Frank Furter
Need automatic GPS signature on each photo to solve the problem.

I was really wanting that after my first trip to Yellowstone. All those geysers start looking alike...
May 05, 2009 01:52PM
i have never ever been to Yellowstone.. it's one of my dreams before i die. lol i've also never been to the Grand Canyon (man have i missed out on life lol).

i have friends here locally who have lived here for over 20 yrs and have never been to Yosemite... up until about 5 years ago, i had a friend who grew up here and had never been to Yosemite in his life until he was about 45 yrears old!! (it's only a 2 1/2 hr drive).

May 05, 2009 01:53PM
You and your friends need to get out more.
May 05, 2009 05:05PM
forrestranger
i have never ever been to Yellowstone.. it's one of my dreams before i die. lol i've also never been to the Grand Canyon (man have i missed out on life lol).

You ARE deprived. Don't forget to visit the Grand Tetons.

You do know why they are called Grand Tetons, right?
May 05, 2009 06:43PM
RobE
forrestranger

You ARE deprived. Don't forget to visit the Grand Tetons.

You do know why they are called Grand Tetons, right?
Because they are BIG Tetons?

-- Carl Sagan
May 05, 2009 06:38PM
forrestranger
i have friends here locally who have lived here for over 20 yrs and have never been to Yosemite... up until about 5 years ago, i had a friend who grew up here and had never been to Yosemite in his life until he was about 45 yrears old!! (it's only a 2 1/2 hr drive).
Not an uncommon event to grow up in an area and not know much about the scenic attractions. Many people in California have never been to the snow! Of course, you can probably SEE HALF DOME from Manteca, right?

PS Good move on the glasses!

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 06:39PM by Frank Furter.
May 05, 2009 11:13AM
Where is the best spot to view Ribbon Fall? I was there in May 2008 and I didn't even notice it. Also where is the best place to view Silver Strand Falls? I didn't even know that one existed until a few days ago.
Thanks
May 05, 2009 02:13PM
Bob Weaver
Where is the best spot to view Ribbon Fall? I was there in May 2008 and I didn't even notice it. Also where is the best place to view Silver Strand Falls? I didn't even know that one existed until a few days ago.
Thanks

Ribbon Fall: Driving into the Valley after Pohono bridge you go beyond the turn to Bridalveil (i.e. stay in the
left lane) ... a little after that the road widens and El Cap is staring you in the face... parking on both sides
of the street... stop there... Ribbon Fall awaits you

Silver Strand: A little harder... THE best view IMO is from 'Rainbow View' ... but you have to hike up the
rockslides... So... you can try. Tunnel View. Just don't remember how good the view is to Silver Strand,
if any. If no good then you can try going to Artist Point... or Inspiration Point. I'll have to looky at some
pictures tho.. I'll post some pix later of Silver Strand if they are worthy...

AND... Love the Sun Glasses...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 02:15PM by bill-e-g.
May 05, 2009 10:07PM
Ok thanks, I appreciate the information.
Not sure what sun glasses you're referring to though.
May 05, 2009 08:26PM
Better to have named them Grand Tetons than Grand Who Ha's...

Here's Silver Strand from Rainbow View:

Almost positive now that you can't see Silver Strand from Tunnel View.
Certain you can if you start hiking up towards Inspiration Point or if you go down to Artist Point.
(the picts I got from those locations are just "ok"winking smiley

The falls on the left are unnamed. Silver Strand is the one on the right. Between the two is Stanford Point.

You can also get great view of Ribbon from Stanford, Crocker, or Dewey Points.

For me... Never been to Death Valley or Redwoods NP.
May 05, 2009 10:01PM

Almost positive now that you can't see Silver Strand from Tunnel View.
Certain you can if you start hiking up towards Inspiration Point or if you go down to Artist Point.

Where, exactly, is Artist Point in relation to Tunnel View? Is there a formal trail to it? Is it along the old stagecoach road?

-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2009 05:30AM
bill-e-g

The falls on the left are unnamed.

You should give it a name. DeKaysier'sDown Fall? Goat Fall?

There is a controversial book on Yellowstone where several park employees claim to have "discovered" many waterfalls simply by describing a route and giving a name to them (even though they were on maps, unnamed). The book includes the "discovery" of a waterfall with a park service constructed trail to it!

Guide to Yellowstone Waterfalls

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Yellowstone-Waterfalls-Their-Discovery/dp/156579351X

Product Description
Join three Yellowstone National Park experts in their remarkable discovery of the park's 200-plus "new" waterfalls, most of which the American public, and even Yellowstone park rangers, have never before witnessed. These trailblazers are the first to document the existence of these spectacular natural features--at least 25 of which tower to heights of 100 feet or more--and the authors do so through striking photographs, engaging text, and detailed maps. The book also features the park's 50 known waterfalls and reveals the untold stories surrounding many of them. For nature-lovers, adventure-seekers, and Yellowstone aficionados alike The Guide to Yellowstone Waterfalls and Their Discovery is a landmark work, combining natural and human histories with unbelievably rare geographical discoveries.

For a devastating criticism, read Tim Cahill "Lost in My Own Backyard" on subject.

By the way, I am claiming that "seep" at the base of the Vernal Fall Trail(see earlierTrivia thread) I am going to cal it "Much Furter Spring" in deference to ME and the distances on the sign nearby.

-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2009 05:46AM
Goat Fallz would be cool. We'd have to go with a z though cause derz just too much controversy with the s.
(noone can pronounce my last name worth a poo anyway...) (I mean, you butchered it right there...) smiling smiley

That is hilarious about the "discovery" of falls in Yellowstone. I won't go on and on about it but ... um, ya... right...
(there are some incredibly hard places to get to in the Sierra but.. someone has been there...)
(although it is fun to "discover" things for yourself! I'll give them that)

Regarding the location of Artist Pt., etc. Yes.. there are trails to it. and yes, it's the old Wawona Rd.
Best way to get there is to go to Tunnel View and then take the trail to Insp. Pt. and take a left at
the obvious old road junction.
Here's a map showing Artist, Inspiration, and Rainbow Views ... etc..
<http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeyser/Maps#5332688237396331010>;

And Bob, the sunglasses are in reference to Forrest's Avatar. That's all.
smiling smiley
May 06, 2009 09:36AM
bill-e-g
Goat Fallz would be cool. We'd have to go with a z though cause derz just too much controversy with the s.
(noone can pronounce my last name worth a poo anyway...) (I mean, you butchered it right there...) smiling smiley

Wow, I thought that I was reaching big time by suggesting that I deserved to have an unnamed dome all to myself (Bee Dome sounds no worse than Puppy Dome, Pot hole Dome, etc.) But you go big time: a water fall!! B)

soooo how DO you pronounce yer last name?

is the -key- part pronunced KAY?
May 06, 2009 09:54AM
Could that "unnamed" falls be "Widow's Tears"?

-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2009 10:28AM
Queen Bee. You already got Beehive!
smiling smiley

When scoping out the Copper Creek Trail into Granite Basin I noticed 'Goat Mountain'
at which point I said... 'dangitall...now I HAVE to go up that baby!'.
There's also some Goat Buttes down near LA. Gonna skip those...

And garsh darnit... now I'm gonna have to use my other gmail account for pix and whatnot.
And remove my last name from who-dat-be profile...
I mean, I already get enough 'penile enlargement' emails! (how do they know??)
May 06, 2009 11:04AM
bill-e-g
smiling smiley

I'm always lookin' to expand the empire..!Dancing GIrl

QB
May 06, 2009 11:14AM
Bee
bill-e-g
smiling smiley

I'm always lookin' to expand the empire..!Dancing GIrl

QB

Did you catch Bea Sore Road near Chilcoot Campground( different thread)?

-- Carl Sagan
May 11, 2009 07:18AM
Regarding Silver Strand Falls.
You can also spy it from Big Oak Flat Road near Cascade Creek.
But... the best spot is maybe 1/4 mile before Pohono Bridge... you can see the
entire falls that cascades down the granite face...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login