Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Health Experts Advise Not Ingesting Raccoon Feces

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Health Experts Advise Not Ingesting Raccoon Feces
May 04, 2009 08:48AM
Health Experts Advise Not Ingesting Raccoon Feces

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2009/05/03/2009-05-03_raccoon_disease_hits_brooklyn_teen__tot.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/05/03/alg_raccoon.jpg

Fewer than 30 cases of Raccoon Roundworm have been reported nationwide.
A rare, deadly disease that has left an infant brain damaged and a teenager blind in one eye, has been detected in Brooklyn, the Daily News has learned.
The city's Department of Health is on alert for Raccoon Roundworm, a disease contracted through contact with raccoon feces. It can cause permanent nerve damage and death. The disease had previously been incorrectly called Raccoon Ringworm.
"Parents should closely supervise small children in areas where raccoons live to prevent possible ingestion of raccoon feces," said Sally Slavinski, of a Health Department unit that deals with diseases that can be transmitted between animals and humans.
In the first case, a healthy infant who traveled to upstate New York last year started having seizures and spinal problems last October. The baby has been brain-damaged and hospitalized ever since.
Then, in January, a Brooklyn teen who hasn't left the city recently, lost sight in the right eye.
Fewer than 30 cases of Raccoon Roundworm have been reported nationwide. It takes two to four weeks for symptoms, which include nausea, loss of coordination and muscle control, and blindness, to develop.
News of the disease, which strikes mostly kids and especially developmentally disabled children, sent shivers through city playgrounds.
"It's terrifying. God only knows how I would react if my kids became that ill," said Bay Ridge mom of two, Angelia Kane, 38.
"The concern for me would be kids being kids. I have a 3-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy. When they're slightly out of sight, they're going to pick up something in the course of their normal behavior and put their filthy hands in their mouths."
With the swine flu outbreak, Kane's kids have been washing their hands more often, but she said she won't keep them from going to the playground.
"If you spend enough time reading about all the things kids can contract you don't leave the house," she said.
Still, Slavinski said parents should take other precautions.
"Raccoon feces should be removed using gloves and disposable bags, and placed in trash to keep from children," she said.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Health Experts Advise Not Ingesting Raccoon Feces
May 04, 2009 09:39AM
Hot Dog,
The comments are better than the article...
Didn't see any comments by GaryR there although there seems to be a awful lot of Poopy
discussion going on all over (Whitney Portal... winking smiley ) ...
Did expect this to come from the Onion tho from the title...
I could put some comments like I wonder if it tastes like chicken... but that's a sore subject.. smiling smiley
Ulterior motive... see how signature shows up...

Everything I know I learned from Chick-on is looking at you!
May 04, 2009 09:42AM
Not the Onion, although sounds like an Onion story. I just couldn't let stand the original title:
"Raccoon Roundworm disease hits Brooklyn teen and baby"

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2009 09:43AM by Frank Furter.
May 04, 2009 09:52AM
bill-e-g

Ulterior motive... see how signature shows up...

signature looks great!!!!!

B
Re: Health Experts Advise Not Ingesting Raccoon Feces
May 04, 2009 01:20PM
Just what I need. More dietary restrictions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login