Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Ansel Adams and subprime mortgages

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ansel Adams and subprime mortgages
May 04, 2009 01:13PM
avatar Re: Ansel Adams and subprime mortgages
May 04, 2009 04:05PM
Interesting story.
This link should get you to the Auction Gallery:
<http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/searchresults.aspx?intSaleID=22019#action=refine&intSaleID=22019&sid=4ae87606-1e84-408b-a042-bd0576f4510e>;

Check out the documentation at the beginning of the lot; the prices paid; and some of the photos such as these which seem to show different processing:

Clearing Winter Storm

Clearing Winter Storm, Yosemite Valley 1944

Thunderstorm, Yosemite Valley 1945

from Yosemite and the Range of Light Folio

In addition, I don't recall an Ansel Adams photo with a human; there is one of Skiing Lembert Dome that shows a solitary skier.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 04, 2009 04:07PM
Frank Furter
I don't recall an Ansel Adams photo with a human;

He certainly did portraits.
Re: Ansel Adams and subprime mortgages
May 05, 2009 06:39PM
Ah, the Master's work...

If you look at Mr Adams' first two photos, the clouds are identical, but the images are not. So they were taken at the same time. Perhaps the same negative

It looks like he did some burning-in or dodging of El Cap on one of the first two photos. He might even have commented on this in one of his photography how-to books.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 04:13PM by RobE.
May 05, 2009 06:55PM
The Christies' notes associated with the auction are worth reading. They mention how Adams got involved with the display of his photos and even the interior decorating of the building that were planning to use his photos for decoration. I have wondered how artists feel about having their work chosen for "decoration". AA apparently relished that role.

I hope the Valley still sells Ansel Adams reprints. I purchased several 20 yrs ago (they were recent prints from original plates, quite reasonally priced) and have enjoyed them immensely.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 05, 2009 07:03PM
Frank Furter
I hope the Valley still sells Ansel Adams reprints. I purchased several 20 yrs ago (they were recent prints from original plates, quite reasonally priced) and have enjoyed them immensely.

http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login