All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

working in Yosemite for the summer
May 05, 2009 08:14PM
Just wanted to introduce myself. I am going to be working in Yosemite this summer and wanted to see if anyone else on the forums will be as well.

avatar Re: working in Yosemite for the summer
May 05, 2009 08:33PM
not me, but if i was young again and could do it all over, i might have given it a try... i envy you... hope you have a lot of fun and great experiences! i talked to a Ranger last year, he told me that Yosemite was one of the top parks in the nation that park employees would love to work at.

Like I always say, "if you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".

My Yosemite Blog: http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
Re: working in Yosemite for the summer
May 06, 2009 05:42AM
What are your credentials? Have you managed a team before under very stressful conditions?
May 06, 2009 01:22PM
Dowwie
What are your credentials? Have you managed a team before under very stressful conditions?

What kind of work do you think he's going to be doing?
May 06, 2009 03:27PM
I am going to be a bus Dispatcher.
May 06, 2009 04:07PM
eeek
Dowwie

What kind of work do you think he's going to be doing?

Leading a team of rangers into battle against terrorists, clearly.
May 06, 2009 07:44PM
Unless the Taliban is recruiting bears. I think They won't need someone like that smiling smiley
May 06, 2009 03:24PM
Are you looking for employees? Well I am 33 I have had many jobs in the past. I have also worked at Yosemite once before back in 97 for a short time. I am planning to work here through September and I'll go back to the real world. Well I do know that Yosemite is pretty close to the real world. I am working in the valley but would probably prefer working up on the meadow. None the less I hope to hike everywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 03:26PM by movingshadow.
May 06, 2009 12:41PM
I'm working in Yosemite year-round in the Marketing Dept. Do you know where you'll be working yet?
May 06, 2009 03:29PM
Yeah I get to be outside thank god smiling smiley Transportation department. Is this your first time working in Yosemite?
May 06, 2009 03:57PM
When I was in college, working at Yosemite was a treasured summer job. Times may have changed. My daughter worked in Yellowstone some summers ago when the economy was much better and there was a paucity of workers. She implied that a large number of seasonal national park workers were recently released from government imposed confinment.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 12, 2009 10:50AM
Frank Furter
When I was in college, working at Yosemite was a treasured summer job. Times may have changed. My daughter worked in Yellowstone some summers ago when the economy was much better and there was a paucity of workers. She implied that a large number of seasonal national park workers were recently released from government imposed confinment.

My impression was that a large portion of those summer workers (esp for Xanterra) were brought in from overseas. We asked a few of them where they were from and how they were recruited. I'd seen workers from the Carribean, China, Finland, Russia, Singapore, and Taiwan in addition to American workers. It was a little odd seeing a Finn wearing a cowboy hat as the desk clerk at Roosevelt Lodge, but his English was fine. When I mentioned a certain NHL hockey team with a Finnish player, he named that player immediately.

Their typical recruitment is that they go through an agency and have no say on where they are assigned, although they know it's going to be a National Park Service unit. They typically don't have transportation so their off-day recreation options have a lot to do with any shuttles provided within the park.
May 11, 2009 06:09PM
Gonna be there by Saturday or Sunday this weekend the 15th.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login