Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Tuolumne first come sites and mosquitos

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne first come sites and mosquitos
June 26, 2004 07:52PM
<HTML>Have been to Yosemite in the winter to avoid crowds. Really enjoyed the valley. Was planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer, had sites reserved and everything. Now we can't afford to go that far and spend a week up there. Tuolumne meadows is now our next best choice. I have two concerns.

1) We don't have reservations. What are the chances of getting first come-first served site for tent camping? Do our chances increase if we show up, say, Sunday morning or mid-week?

2) I understand the mosquitos can be daunting. We have a one-year old camping with us. With the onset of West Nile Virus this spring, I'm concerned about swarms of skeeters and the baby. How bad are the mosquitos and what precautions could be taken.

Your advice and experience is much appreciated!</HTML>
avatar Re: Tuolumne first come sites and mosquitos
June 26, 2004 09:54PM
<HTML>Sunday morning or mid-week is ideal. You should do ok. Mosquitos can be bad or hardly there at all. It depends a lot on what the weather has been and how much standing water there is. Besides DEET you can burn citranella candles; they seem to help quite a bit.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login