All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Cables
May 07, 2009 06:43PM
Woohoo, Half Dome cables are to be tentatively complete by Friday May 15th. Seeing as my trip is May 11-15, this is indeed exciting news.
Re: Half Dome Cables
May 07, 2009 07:22PM
If I do the Half Dome hike via Mist Trail, will I go past the top of Vernal Fall? I want to do the Nevada/Vernal falls hike but if this is included in the Half Dome hike then I won't do it on a seperate day.
May 07, 2009 07:54PM
You'll go past Vernal to Nevada and on to Half Dome.
May 07, 2009 09:25PM
Twagner
If I do the Half Dome hike via Mist Trail, will I go past the top of Vernal Fall?

It'd be hard not to.
May 08, 2009 12:27AM
You will have to turn at the junction at the top of Nevada Falls and go southwestish for about 0.2 miles to get to the footbridge that goes over the Merced River and the actual top of the fall.

Old Dude
May 08, 2009 12:32AM
mrcondron
You will have to turn at the junction at the top of Nevada Falls and go southwestish for about 0.2 miles to get to the footbridge that goes over the Merced River and the actual top of the fall.

Good point. But he could also take the trail up to Clark and meet up with the JMT there.
May 07, 2009 09:53PM
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if the trail split to Half Dome before you got to Nevada Fall.
May 07, 2009 09:54PM
Twagner
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if the trail split to Half Dome before you got to Nevada Fall.

The split is at Little Yosemite Valley.
May 08, 2009 06:54AM
What was your source for that information? They could also be up by Thursday.

Come hell or high water I'm going up that Friday. I will batman the last 400 feet if the cables aren't up, yet. Bought a harness, biners, and runner just for this..
May 08, 2009 08:53AM
My source was the nps website. "The Half Dome cables are down for the season. The cables could tentatively be up on May 15, conditions permitting. The cable route may be closed for several days prior to May 15 as the cables are installed."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 08:54AM by Twagner.
May 08, 2009 08:56AM
Twagner
My source was the nps website. "The Half Dome cables are down for the season. The cables could tentatively be up on May 15, conditions permitting. The cable route may be closed for several days prior to May 15 as the cables are installed."

I think hat that means is that you won't be able to use the cables when they're down. Some people actually do that. It may be discouraged but isn't illegal.
May 08, 2009 09:19AM
Dowwie
What was your source for that information? They could also be up by Thursday.

Come hell or high water I'm going up that Friday. I will batman the last 400 feet if the cables aren't up, yet. Bought a harness, biners, and runner just for this..

If the crew is working on the cables, you probably won't be allowed to go up...it's not the same as the cables just being "down". Most likely they will be up and finished Friday anyway.

Don't forget your gloves, at least for coming down, there will probably not be a pile of them there like there is later. And take them home with you, that pile is downright silly and ugly, and if someone can't even remember gloves for a Half Dome trip (assuming they want to use them), they shouldn't go anyway...

Make sure you have at very least, a half gallon of water per person when leaving Nevada Fall or Little Yosemite CG if you detour there, and that's if you've been drinking all you should on the way to that point.

Vince's suggestion of the JMT down from Nevada Fall serves several purposes; the cooling drips of the ice cut, the great view of Nevada Fall as you go past that area, the saving of your knees from the Mist trail steps down, and you can skip the detour to the top of Nevada Fall on the way up, because you'll be going there on the way back. An extra half hour may make a significant difference for cable crowding on 'opening day'. The cool of the fall area also feels great after HD. It is, however, a bit longer, but timewise about the same. If you REALLY want to stay cool, at the expense of a longer walk and your knees, cut down from Clark Point to the Mist trail, and that way you get the ice cut and the Mist below Vernal fall.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 08, 2009 05:57AM
I would go mist trail up and JMT back, the shower at the ice cut is a welcome relief.

Off to Kings Canyon in a few minutes. Bye
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login