Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Volcano Board Sport Erupts in Popularity

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Volcano Board Sport Erupts in Popularity
May 08, 2009 05:30AM
Full story http://www.impactlab.com/2009/05/07/hot-new-adrenaline-sport-volcano-boarding/

A group of thrill-seekers have developed a ‘hot’ new adrenaline sport called ‘volcano boarding’, in which
participants race at speeds of up to 50mph down the side of an active volcano.

Despite only starting the tour four years ago, volcano boarding has attracted over 10,000 participants.

Dressed in protective jump suits, knee-pads and helmets, the boarders visited the foothills of Nicaragua’s
Cerro Negro mountain, and climbed 726 metres (2,382ft) to travel down on specially-constructed plywood boards.

“The volcano is very active,” he(Phillip Southan, owner of Bigfoot Hostel and Green Pathways Tours) said.
“But the biggest risk is the risk is getting some scratches if you fall off."

“What we offer is a tour for everyone with absolutely no experience necessary. ...."

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Volcano Board Sport Erupts in Popularity
May 09, 2009 07:51AM
Frank,

If this was April 1st I would be suspect of this report but apparrently it's legit. Many years ago there was an April Fools story in a local paper regarding a new business for skiing down slopes of tailing piles from a limestone quarry in Thomaston ME. A lot of people bit on that one.

Jim
avatar Re: Volcano Board Sport Erupts in Popularity
May 09, 2009 08:02AM
tomdisco
Frank,

If this was April 1st I would be suspect of this report but apparrently it's legit. Many years ago there was an April Fools story in a local paper regarding a new business for skiing down slopes of tailing piles from a limestone quarry in Thomaston ME. A lot of people bit on that one.

Jim

I thought about that, and I will be very embarassed if it was a hoax. I know there is "dryland" snowboarding and it certainly seems possible. It has been reported in several sources so I THINK it's correct.

addendum: You can find youtube videos of activity at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyF8pabId0&NR=1
or by searching youtube under terms "volcano boarding"

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 08:58AM by Frank Furter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login