Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Disposable undies?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 08, 2009 09:04AM
I was at a luggage store last week. They essentially sell all sorts of travel gear, and the disposable cotton underwear sort of caught my attention. It seemed kind of pricey at $5.99 for 5. I can get regular men's cotton underwear for about that price.

I'm not sure what the appeal is other than that they're really thin and pack small. They do have washing instructions, but anything that thin is likely to develop holes quickly. They claim that camping or traveling is one application. Frankly if I were to do that, I'd probably just pack some old (laundered) Fruit of the Loom underwear, chuck it without washing, then buy replacements when I get home (or on the road if I can find it).

Their disposable socks seem interesting. They're mostly cotton, but I wonder if they could make a good liner.

http://www.onederwear.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 12:17PM by y_p_w.
May 09, 2009 11:31AM
Interesting concept. Cotton, until wet, is good.I have found the most "non-cotton" briefs to be too hot. Thin cotton may be a good option. I suppose silk is classically best as it dries quickly but is expensive. Any paper option?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 09, 2009 01:00PM
Frank Furter
Interesting concept. Cotton, until wet, is good.I have found the most "non-cotton" briefs to be too hot. Thin cotton may be a good option. I suppose silk is classically best as it dries quickly but is expensive. Any paper option?

I don't think silk dries very quickly. At least slower than wool or synthetics, and it holds water. Of course anything compared to cotton will dry faster.

I have some polyester underwear. I bought a bunch at closeout. I think I even forgot a pair in the Curry Village shower once. It's not too bad. With the right fibers it doesn't get hot at all although the ones I have fit kind of strange (I won't elaborate). If Fruit of the Loom supposedly has colored undies that are a cotton-poly blend, but I'm not sure where to find them. One appeal of standard FTL to me is that it's ubiquitous, fits well, and is cheap. In any case, I can't figure out why people buy expensive underwear brands like Jockey or BVD. If it gets old enough, they need to be tossed anyways.

You can get wool underwear, but I haven't tried it. I even find some of the best wool to be somewhat itchy. Of course it's going to be warm.
May 09, 2009 01:13PM
Silk supposedly preferred by the old west cowboys for their neck scarves because it absorbs water but dries quickly. Also,consider Hawaiian shirts-- often silk. One of my favorite hiking shirts is silk and it seems to work better and is lighter than the usual quick dry shirts available. Silk tends to be warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I have one pair of silk undies but they are boxers and I prefer briefs.

(What has this forum come to if guys are discussing guy underwear?? All the traditional barriers are breaking down! We will soon be sharing our feelings.)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 09, 2009 06:31PM
I agree with Frank. At least potty humor is expected of us but not this.

Jim
May 10, 2009 12:14AM
Frank Furter
All the traditional barriers are breaking down! We will soon be sharing our feelings.)

You guys start with THAT, and I'm outta here!

BTW, shifting back a bit, when I used to lead tours, there was always a small percentage of participants who subscribed to the "wear and discard" method of clothing management. They used to bring their oldest, ugliest, T-shirts and shorts, and toss them as the trip progressed. It was excruciating at times sitting in a fine Italian restaurant with folks dressed like hobos. (No, I am not a snob -- there is a time and place for old trail clothing, and a Florentine restaurant is not the place)

Busy Bee
May 10, 2009 01:26AM
Bee
Frank Furter
All the traditional barriers are breaking down! We will soon be sharing our feelings.)

BTW, shifting back a bit, when I used to lead tours, there was always a small percentage of participants who subscribed to the "wear and discard" method of clothing management. They used to bring their oldest, ugliest, T-shirts and shorts, and toss them as the trip progressed. It was excruciating at times sitting in a fine Italian restaurant with folks dressed like hobos. (No, I am not a snob -- there is a time and place for old trail clothing, and a Florentine restaurant is not the place)
Busy Bee

Opportunity knocks?
(Sorry, Shana, I just couldn't resist. I mean, it was just out there waiting to have someone throw a rock at it.)

Back in the '60s & '70s, there was some all-that-you-can-eat smorgasboard restuarant somewhere in the Sacramento area. Very eclectic clientele: you would see grungy backpackers and rockclimbers scarfing/wolfing/goating down food and the elite of Sacramento society sitting at the next table in formal dress, having just exited from the opera or symphony. (The GB&R weren't necessarily sitting.) Fortunately, I was only dragged in there once on a return trip from Shasta and have managed to erase the name and exact location of the restaurant from my memory. Unfortunately, I have not managed to totally delete the experience.
May 10, 2009 01:56AM
Frank Furter

Bee

szalkowski
Opportunity knocks?
(Sorry, Shana, I just couldn't resist. I mean, it was just out there waiting to have someone throw a rock at it.)

You(pl) would miss me wink

My legions of novice-backpacker fans would miss getting the free information/answers courtesy of my dumb questions, even moreConfused

S
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login