Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Natural Arch

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 10, 2009 08:45AM
I was studying the Yosemite Falls Topo 7.5" as a vicarious Yosemite experience and noticed "Natural Arch".
Anyone been there recently? Access is generally from Tioga Road but looks like there is also a trail from the top of Yosemite Falls (Bee, take notice).
Any pics? Reports? Worth the walk?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 10, 2009 09:38AM
the arch at Indian Rock is pretty cool - I visited it in July 2006. Not too hard to get to from the Tioga Road.

May 10, 2009 10:09AM
Indian Rock is a "must do" spur trail (only ~0.6 mile round trip) on the North/South trail heading down to North Dome from Tioga. Easy access from the Porcupine Creek trailhead. Recommend that one goes all the way up to the base of the rock formation - nice panoramic views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 10:59AM by szalkowski.
Re: Natural Arch
May 10, 2009 11:29AM
The shape of it reminds me of Mesa Arch at Canyonlands NP.

May 10, 2009 09:05PM
vdrummer
the arch at Indian Rock is pretty cool - I visited it in July 2006. Not too hard to get to from the Tioga Road.

Seems kind of jagged, like Wall Arch before it collapsed last year:

May 10, 2009 10:02PM
y_p_w
vdrummer

Seems kind of jagged, like Wall Arch before it collapsed last year:

yes, it did look somewhat fragile to me. I didn't even consider walking on top of it, as it looked to me like the kind of thing that wouldn't benefit from having a couple of hundred pounds on top of it.
May 11, 2009 12:57AM
Frank Furter
I was studying the Yosemite Falls Topo 7.5" as a vicarious Yosemite experience and noticed "Natural Arch".

Didn't I run into you on one of these trips, FF? The food is thee best, you never have to dig a cat hole, and the weather is always spot-on perfect..wink

Anyone been there recently? Access is generally from Tioga Road but looks like there is also a trail from the top of Yosemite Falls (Bee, take notice).

I just looked this one up as a an addition to the Yosemite falls hike. At a glance, it appears to add 8+ miles(one way) to the 7.8 mi hike(o/b), which, by the time I added it in with all the other things I want to see on the North Rim, it turns into another hike called "North Rim"....which is a 30mi, 3 day hike...eye popping smiley

The write-up on the arch was a very good, don't miss sort of review (I have been to Canyonlands, so I will have to add this arch to the list)

Busy Bee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 12:59AM by Bee.
May 11, 2009 06:38AM
The last full day of my planned trip in July includes a day trip to Indian Rock/North Dome from Porcupine Creek, provided my body is still in working order after the Cathedral--Merced--Volgelsang--Ireland--Lyell Canyon trek. Is crawling on all fours considered respectable form?

Jim
May 11, 2009 06:53AM
tomdisco
Is crawling on all fours considered respectable form?

Jim

After that hike, your avatar may need revert back to the crawling, skulking Gollum for a while!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 11, 2009 07:35AM
Frank,

No way! My avatar is going to get me through it.

Jim
May 11, 2009 07:45AM
Jim,
No way you're gonna make it by sleeping 20 hours in a day...
You better change it to a Cheeta (I'd go with Chester Cheeta of Cheetos fame myself) ...
smiling smiley
May 11, 2009 07:53AM
Dale,

With all my inevitable aches and pains, bug bites, and possible tent claustrofobia I'll be lucky to get 5 hours sleep per day. Like you, I prefer sleeping under the stars (with lots of air circulation) but I'm afraid the July bugs will drive me into the tent.

Jim
May 11, 2009 08:03AM
Sleep Screen

Old Dude
May 11, 2009 08:07AM
mrcondron
Sleep Screen

Mike,

What's a sleep screen? Never seen one advertised anywhere. Or is it something you just throw together by yourself?

Jim
May 11, 2009 08:16AM
Mike,

Nevermind; I found the Atwater Sleep Screen on a google search. I may resort to that on future trips if I can justify the extra 10 Oz.

Jim
May 11, 2009 08:25AM
tomdisco
Mike,

Nevermind; I found the Atwater Sleep Screen on a google search. I may resort to that on future trips if I can justify the extra 10 Oz.

Jim

In LVY I saw someone who didn't bring a tent (he and his buddy were asking me why I was setting up a tent when I could just put down my pad and sleep). One of these guys had a similar screen, but I don't think it covered the entire sleeping bag - just the area around the head.
May 11, 2009 05:12PM
It covers your upper body but has a tail of mesh that goes down to about your knees. It really keeps the bugs out.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login