Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How was your day?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 11, 2009 08:05PM
Mine was interesting:

May 11, 2009 08:25PM
Details and more pics!!!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 11, 2009 08:28PM
Frank Furter
Details and more pics!!!

Details: just up the road from Norris.

May 11, 2009 08:43PM
eeek
Frank Furter
Details and more pics!!!

Looks like a grizz. You did stay the requisite 100 yards away I take it.
May 11, 2009 08:44PM
y_p_w
Looks like a grizz.

Probably because it is.

You did stay the requisite 100 yards away I take it.

No, I didn't. But I did stay in the car as the ranger told me to do.
May 11, 2009 08:26PM
Mine obviously sucked compared to yours! thumbs down

Busy Bee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 08:28PM by Bee.
May 11, 2009 08:36PM
Is this too close?

May 11, 2009 08:45PM
eeek

From our roving reporter in Yellowstone via cellphone?

eeek
Is this too close?

Bye, son!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 12, 2009 07:06AM
At Yellowstone I saw people standing less than 2 feet from the elk lounging on the grass at Mammoth Hot Springs, for photo opportunities. Literally right next to their faces. The elk were blasé about it, but still I don't think these people understood the risk.
May 12, 2009 07:34AM
Bob Weaver
At Yellowstone I saw people standing less than 2 feet from the elk lounging on the grass at Mammoth Hot Springs, for photo opportunities. Literally right next to their faces. The elk were blasé about it, but still I don't think these people understood the risk.

In short:
Darwin Award Candidates

See:
http://www.darwinawards.com/

CULLING THE HERD!!!
May 12, 2009 08:12AM
I was up near the Lost Coast a few years ago and hiking in one of the parks up there and the trail went through the middle of a herd that was lounging about chew cud or something. A big bull with a rack about the size of a small forest was virtually on the trail. We slid by him keeping an eye out for any movement on his part. He did nothing but look at us but it was a scary experience. The guy was huge.

Old Dude
May 12, 2009 08:15AM
Bob Weaver

They must not have seen the Yellowstone safety videos. There are those people who thought it would be cute to try and call an elk (or just stop and stare at close distances) during rutting season from their cars. That is until the elk decided it was a rival and crashed its antlers right into the side of their vehicles. Then there are the ones that are less tolerant about being approached closely by people. The last video has footage of one in Mammoth that started lunging at people exiting the door of a building.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/safetyvideos.htm
May 12, 2009 09:32AM
There were plenty of signs saying "stay 25 yards away from all wildlife" in the area. I can't remember the exact wording of the signs. And the "Yellowstone Today" newspaper they give you had a photo on the front page of a man running from a rampaging bull elk. But many people were disregarding that rule. Not everyone but a few. They weren't staying long next to the elk, just long enough to snap a photo. The elk all seemed nonplussed, almost oblivious to them, I guess since they are so used to seeing people all day long every day. But I guess if someone had tried to touch one then it would be a different story. By the Madison River, one young female decided to walk right by me, about 6 feet away, so I just stood still and took a picture. She broke the rule, not me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2009 09:48AM by Bob Weaver.
May 11, 2009 08:45PM
Ms. Awesome Queen Bee
Mine obviously sucked compared to yours! thumbs down
Busy Bee

Ditto

More pictures of Grizzlies... please
May 11, 2009 08:49PM
May 11, 2009 09:32PM
Do Grizzlies eat goats?

Busy Bee
May 11, 2009 09:40PM
Bee

When they can get them.
May 12, 2009 02:43AM
Bee
Do Grizzlies eat goats?

Busy Bee

They think that it tastes like chicken.
May 11, 2009 09:29PM
Is that the one with the porcupine quills in his right front paw? It looks like he is standing on his wrist instead of his foot pad. Lucky you to be in Yellowstone.
May 11, 2009 09:39PM
Strix
Is that the one with the porcupine quills in his right front paw?

Yes, it is.
May 12, 2009 07:28PM
Horizontal snow today. But I did manage a few photos.

May 12, 2009 08:13PM
eeek
Horizontal snow today. But I did manage a few photos.
Any more??

-- Carl Sagan
May 12, 2009 08:15PM
May 12, 2009 08:52PM
FF, how far away from Jellystone park are you?

Busy Bee
May 12, 2009 09:01PM
Bee
FF, how far away from Jellystone park are you?

Busy Bee
Most of the time too far. Several hours by car.

-- Carl Sagan
May 12, 2009 09:13PM
Frank Furter

That sure beats two days.
May 12, 2009 09:14PM
eeek
Frank Furter

That sure beats two days.

But, its two days for me to get to Yosemite!

-- Carl Sagan
May 12, 2009 09:15PM
Frank Furter

Yeah, that could be a big problem.
May 12, 2009 09:23PM
eeek
Frank Furter

How is the park, overall? The snow often clears the roads of traffic. Sometimes more animals (little easier to see against white background). Is anything besides Mammoth available for camping? Seen any flocks of Mountain Bluebirds? Has the Boiling River been closed yet for the high water?

-- Carl Sagan
May 13, 2009 06:37AM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

How is the park, overall? The snow often clears the roads of traffic. Sometimes more animals (little easier to see against white background). Is anything besides Mammoth available for camping? Seen any flocks of Mountain Bluebirds? Has the Boiling River been closed yet for the high water?

The snow made the traffic light.
Madison campground is open.
Animals were hiding yesterday.
Did see some blue birds but not a flock.
Where is Boiling River?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 06:37AM by eeek.
May 13, 2009 06:45AM
Boiling River is the section of the Gardiner River south of the 45 degree Latitude sign (near Mammoth) that allows public swimming in a thermal feature because the hot spring is within the river itself (I think it is the only accessible area where one can swim in the hot spring in the park). It is closed periodically if water gets too high (danger from flow) or too low (the river becomes too hot).

-- Carl Sagan
May 13, 2009 05:13PM
Many years ago my wife and I visited Yellowstone (tent camping) and one day found a bathtub size hot spring withing 4' of the river where you could almost completely immerse yourself in comfortably warm water.

Jim
May 13, 2009 05:37PM
tomdisco
Many years ago my wife and I visited Yellowstone (tent camping) and one day found a bathtub size hot spring withing 4' of the river where you could almost completely immerse yourself in comfortably warm water.

Jim
That would probably be prohibited now. Isolated thermal features are protected and entry is prohibited. I think there may be also a feature that is within the stream bottom of the Firehole River that may be a spot to soak legally but that is a distance off the beaten path. There was a news report today of some park workers messing around Old Faithful and receiving fines or legal sanctions:

http://redgreenandblue.org/2009/05/13/yellowstone-webcam-catches-men-using-old-faithful-as-toilet/

Yellowstone Webcam Catches Men Using Old Faithful as Toilet

Written by Timothy B. Hurst

Published on May 13th, 2009Posted in Editor's Choice, Natural Resources, U.S.
A webcam installed last year to broadcast live streaming video of Yellowstone National Park’s iconic Old Faithful Geyser around the world was instrumental in the arrest of six vandals last week. As seen in photos released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), a group of six trespassers ventured off the visitor boardwalk; two apparently urinated and one dropped a rock into what is arguably the world’s most famous geyser.

Outraged by what they saw on their home computers on the evening of May 4th, viewers of the Old Faithful webcam contacted park officials who then dispatched park rangers. The trespassers were apprehended as they returned to the boardwalk twenty minutes later.

According to PEER, the webcam footage shows that several of the “cone walkers” appeared to urinate on the geyser cone and that two of them are seen digging around the geyser catch basin, one of whom looks to have dropped a rock into the geyser itself. This is believed to be the first time webcams have been used in a National Park for this type of legal action. (cut)

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 05:44PM by Frank Furter.
May 13, 2009 09:40PM
May 13, 2009 09:57PM
It LOOKS so c-c-c-COLD!!!

Busy Bee
May 13, 2009 10:02PM
Bee

Is that better than cool?
May 13, 2009 11:14PM
eeek
Bee

For most Earthlings (I think that I came from a planet that was much warmer than this one!)

Busy Bee
May 14, 2009 12:46AM
Bee
eeek
Bee

For most Earthlings (I think that I came from a planet that was much warmer than this one!)

Busy Bee

VENUS.

[There, we've said it.Happy? (signed) The Beaks]
May 14, 2009 06:55AM
VENUS----atmosphere consists partly of sulferic acid, surface hot enough to melt lead. Really, Bee? No wonder eeek's photo seems cold to you.

Jim
May 13, 2009 10:04PM
May 14, 2009 07:36AM
eeek

My vote: 3 yr old female bison implied by the extensive digestion and size of curds, adequate colon function and good teeth; volume implies metabolic demands of milk production; it appears to be on asphalt suggesting the better intelligence of the female of the species who would be smart enough not to crap where they eat (unlike the males).

-- Carl Sagan
May 14, 2009 07:40AM
I thought we were not allowed to post poop pictures on this forum!

And other references. Maybe the other goatatar needs to come back...

(btw... I loved the 'Who pooped in the woods' book for the kids!)
tongue sticking out smiley
May 14, 2009 07:55AM
bill-e-g

I can't give a solidly formed reference, but I was told that it was the most popular book sold in Yellowstone (Second was "Death in Yellostone", about all the ways to be injured severely in that park). Viewed from a distance or with gloves, scat can be a delightful educational item. There is a book "Scats and Tracks" which is the "adult" version of "who pooped.....". Try to avoid incorporating any samples in the cookpot, health experts advise.

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 08:10AM by Frank Furter.
May 14, 2009 08:01AM
Frank Furter
bill-e-g

I can't give a solidly formed reference, but I was told that it was the most popular book sold in Yellowstone (Second was "Death in Yellostone", about all the ways to be injured severely in that park). Viewed from a distance or with gloves, scat can be a delightful educational item. There is a book "Scats and Tracks" which is the "adult" version of "who pooped.....". Try to avoid incorporating any samples in the cookpot.

So you're saying you gave a fairly solid/slightly mushy sample, um, I mean reference?

Many field guides also have sections on scats and tracks... such as the Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada...
(did I mention that that particular guide book is just spectacular?)
May 14, 2009 08:06AM
bill-e-g
Many field guides also have sections on scats and tracks... such as the Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada...

Yes, you did. I looked it up on Amazon and got a sample of the pages. Did you see the "dog vomit" fungus? I want to see THAT one!

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 08:45AM by Frank Furter.
May 14, 2009 08:19AM
Frank Furter
bill-e-g

Yes, you did. I looked it up on google and got a sample of the pages. Did you see the "dog vomit" fungus? I want to see THAT one!

Nice... The guide doesn't say if it is edible though... smiling smiley

Also in the guide are Lichen.. and it says
"Lichenometrists measure lichen size to help determine the relative ages of Glacial Moraines."

(I'm sure eeek is lichen this cause we all know he is a fungi)

(ya ya.. I'm ducking!)
May 14, 2009 09:40AM
bill-e-g
(I'm sure eeek is lichen this cause we all know he is a fungi)

(ya ya.. I'm ducking!)

INCOMING!!!eye rolling smiley

Busy Bee
May 14, 2009 09:53AM
bill-e-g
Frank Furter

Yes, you did. I looked it up on google and got a sample of the pages. Did you see the "dog vomit" fungus? I want to see THAT one!

The guide mentions early in the book (about page 6), that he would not comment on whether fungi are edible or not. .Apparently he didn't want to go out on a limb (?mycelium?) and commit to defining "safe" and "unsafe" fungi. Risk too great. The one objection I have concerns the illustrations. I have yet to see the actual book, but usually I find drawings to lack the realistic detail necessary for a good field guide.

-- Carl Sagan
May 14, 2009 11:25AM
Frank Furter
bill-e-g
Frank Furter

The guide mentions early in the book (about page 6), that he would not comment on whether fungi are edible or not. .Apparently he didn't want to go out on a limb (?mycelium?) and commit to defining "safe" and "unsafe" fungi. Risk too great. The one objection I have concerns the illustrations. I have yet to see the actual book, but usually I find drawings to lack the realistic detail necessary for a good field guide.

It's the nicest field guide that I have seen. Many times a picture isn't the best way to represent a subject. I feel the drawings are top notch.
Go to Amazon and do the 'search inside the book' and then click on 'surprise me' to see some more examples.
It has alot of pictures and they are colorful. Isn't that the definition of a good book? tongue sticking out smileysmiling smiley
May 14, 2009 12:50PM
bill-e-g
It has alot of pictures and they are colorful. Isn't that the definition of a good book? tongue sticking out smileysmiling smiley

BIG print also adds value.

Having purchased a few bird and anatomy books, I tend to appreciate the aesthetic value of pictures, but they tend to reflect how the artist thinks the subject should appear. I prefer photographs when possible. FYI, and only slightly off topic: a fairly good bird book (uses photos digitally edited) is Kenn Kaufman: Guide to Birds (2005)

That said, I just "reserved" the Laws book from the local library to preview when available.

-- Carl Sagan
May 14, 2009 08:21AM
Having spent WAY too much time in the Phoenix area during the last three months, one continuing source of amusement is to see the local dial-a-ride minibuses rolling around with the word SCAT on their sides (Sun Cities Area Transit).
[Beware: extreme mental senior goat area there.]
May 14, 2009 08:39AM
szalkowski
Having spent WAY too much time in the Phoenix area during the last three months, one continuing source of amusement is to see the local dial-a-ride minibuses rolling around with the word SCAT on their sides (Sun Cities Area Transit).
[Beware: extreme mental senior goat area there.]

SCAT !, perhaps just a command to pedestrians to get out of the way?

-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 08:55AM by Frank Furter.
May 14, 2009 07:42AM
btw... I know it's not Goat poop...
Goat Stop
May 16, 2009 08:15PM
Re: Grizzly Bear - The Video
May 17, 2009 10:42AM
That is a great video. Looks like she is getting by, hope her paw is getting better. The ranger's voice in the background is a nice touch.

My friends on this Yellowstone chat would really appreciate this. Have you seen this page?
http://www.yellowstoneupcloseandpersonal.com/wwwboard/chat.htm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login