Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Valley Campgrounds

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Valley Campgrounds
November 17, 2005 04:11PM
Three of us are planning to visit Yosemite next August and we're hoping to be able to camp in the one of the three campgrounds in the Valley for at least 2 nights. I understand that starting on the 15th of each month you can (attempt) to reserve a site up to 5 months in advance.

Was on the website Yosemitesites - November 15 - and saw that all three valley campgrounds were already fully booked in March thru April 14 (the 3 campgrounds open at different dates in the spring) Wow! However, I rechecked their site today and saw that there were several openings in all three campgrounds. Why is there such a difference between today and yesterday? Are there that many cancellations in one day?

Most importantly, do I stand a chance in obtaining a site at ANY of the Valley campgrounds for next August. I plan to start calling on April 15 to try to reserve a site for August 15 or later. Should I forget about camping and instead try to reserve a tent cabin in Curry Village for August, and if so how far in advance can I reserve one of these?
November 17, 2005 06:37PM
Personally I'd avoid camping in the Valley in August. It's hot, crowded, and the falls have pretty much dried up.

Re: Valley Campgrounds
November 18, 2005 09:42AM
I agree with eek. August is about the WORST time you could go to Yosemite. If you have no choice, though, go ahead and go. Yosemite is a wondrous place, and is not to be missed. In my opinion, April and May are the best times to go...not too many people, the falls are flowing strong, and the vegetation is luxurient.

There are a couple of possibilities for camping. If you can't get reservations, 1) then you can get in line at the park office in the Curry Village parking lot well before they open and hope for a cancellation/no show. Your chances of getting a site if you get there early is pretty good. 2) Alternatively, Sunnyside campgrounds is a walk in, first come, first served campground and your chances of getting in there in April or May are also not bad (especially if you are able to go mid-week).

Jon Shannon
www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login