Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Tioga Pass Bicycle Use

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 13, 2009 06:34PM
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/upload/daily.pdf

Bicycles on Tioga Road - On Friday May 15, Tioga road will be open to all vehicles to Yosemite Creek and to bicycles
to May Lake junction. Administrative travel is allowed beyond Yosemite Creek gate. Please keep in mind that signage
along the road is accurate because it is updated each day as conditions change. A sign at May Lake junction indicates
that bicycles are not allowed past that point. Also, any administrative traffic should be on the lookout for bikes so that we can
provide visitors that experience without interfering with opening operations. (S. Sprouse - 5/13/09)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Tioga Pass Bicycle Use
May 14, 2009 05:51AM
This transitional early bicycle use of Tioga Pass reminds me of the "Spring Bicycle" season in Yellowstone (see http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/springbike.htm ). Does anyone have experience with this bicycle opportunity in Yosemite? Does it occur on Glacier Point Road also?? Any info on similar programs in other parks? I do not find an official NPS webpage for Yosemite on this bicycle "season".

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 17, 2009 04:35PM
Frank Furter
"Spring Bicycle" season in Yellowstone

Did they have one this year?
May 17, 2009 05:33PM
We had a lot of late snow, I don't know how much bicycling could be done.
I am not aware that it was "closed" , per se. Here is the official link:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/springbike.htm

-- Carl Sagan
May 17, 2009 05:58PM
Further options for spring biking: There used to be an "informal bike season" in Waterton Park (Canada) along the Red Rock Parkway for the 1-2 weeks before the road officially opened in May/June. You would need to contact the park itself for info because this varied each year. Don't know if it still is offered. I couldn't find an email to make an inquiry this year.

-- Carl Sagan
May 17, 2009 07:52PM
One thing we found out was that even though the road was open... can't park overnight yet...
Hopefully that restriction is lifted soon. Quite the buzz kill when we got there Sat. morning
for a permint down Yosemite Creek and ... no can do...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login