Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Fishing in and around Valley??

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fishing in and around Valley??
June 28, 2006 09:32AM
I'm going to be camping in the valley over the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew if Tenaya Creek and Mirror Lake hold any fish.

Also, I would like to know of any other areas in the valley that might be productive. I know the Merced through the valley holds some very nice rainbows, but when I was there last year, they were holding very deep and difficult to get down to with fly gear.

I practice only catch & release, so I'm not interested in keeping anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J
avatar Re: Fishing in and around Valley??
June 28, 2006 10:17PM
I'm not really into fishing but I've never heard the Valley to be all that good. Creeks and small lakes outside the Valley are the better bet.

Re: Fishing in and around Valley??
June 29, 2006 09:15AM
Thanks, eeek.

I've heard the same thing but thinking there has to be something in the valley worth trying.

Thanks again
Re: Fishing in and around Valley??
July 08, 2006 02:00PM
I rarely have seen trout in the Merced though read somewhere years ago there were quite a lot found during a survey at least below Happy Isles. As a Sierra backpacker for three decades I've been pretty good at spotting fish so it's not that I just couldn't see them. What I have seen is a lot of suckers which are the endemic species. There are other Sierra rivers I've seen that tend to have few small trout when large numbers of suckers are about. Last fall I did see a few rather large trout one afternoon in a section of the river near a lot of the main fascillities. Am not going to name the spot though and would hope more of the river at the east end of the valley was simply made a 0 trout limit or no fishing zone as I hate to see such large trout removed by anglers. I think the valley experience would be better if there were such an length of river where most folks wander about that had such unmolested fish. ...David

Post Edited (07-08-06 16:06)

http://www.davidsenesac.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login